dirtyhead

312-8 no volts at solenoid

312-8 has no power leaving relay to solenoid,If I use the switched feed to the relay on the solenoid it starts but I have no safety devices.The low oil switch wires have been joined where they leave the multiplug as one of them broke right at the switch too close to solder.The clutch and pto switches are good.When I turn the key the relay makes a faint click,when I turn it with the clutch depressed the solenoid joins in with a half hearted click.Could the low oil level wires being joined be contributing to alow voltage at the solenoid signal wire?Anyone got any ideas?

:WRS:           With any electrical problem the first step is to clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds. I would encourage you to restore all safety switches to proper function.

The last time I looked at one of these circuits it was determined that if the low oil switch wires are removed from the relay it will allow the solenoid to work. The low oil switch interrupted the starter circuit at the relay to prevent starting. Hope all the 312-8's are wired the same.

Garry

• Like 1

Greetings

Not too sure how I got it sorted but I know not to cross the wires going to the low oil switch,the switch closes when the oil is low so by crossing the wires going to the switch you are simulating low oil level.Leave them open if you want to bypass the switch when troubleshooting.

Ivan

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MS GENERAL REPAIR
      Part 1 of John Deere STX Lawn Tractor Repair Video Series.
      The Engine won't crank.

• By r1jakecfd
      Hi Guys,
      I know my voltage regulator is bad on my Onan P220 and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on a replacement, OEM or aftermarket? 
      Also, I checked my stator leads for AC Voltage and got about 25 volts at 3600 rpm on each. Is this OK? I know it says in the 40’s.
      Thanks guys
    • By lodestonefarm
      I went out to use my 520H with blower this evening and it won't start.  I used this machine a few days ago (for the first time this winter).  The battery has been on a trickle charge so I don't think that's the problem.  It's done this before where it won't start, won't start, and then starts.  Usually that is in cold weather and after I've previously used it to blow snow.  I don't have a heated garage so I think it might have some ice somewhere that was introduced as water the last time I blew snow.

Here's what it's currently doing.  When I turn the Ignition to 'On' the red warning lights and the dashs light all come on.  When I turn the key to start position I get a single 'Click' and nothing more.  I tried jumping it from a hot battery just to rule out a bad battery.  Same behavior.  Following some of the other threads about 520s with trouble starting, I pulled the blue wire off the starter solenoid.  If I run a jumper wire from the (+) side of the battery directly to the solenoid I get the same behavior (regardless of key being in on or off position)- small spark where my jumper wire is touching the battery terminal and a single click.  

I'm unsure what this means about the solenoid and if that, in any way tests, the starter.  Could it be that my starter is bad/frozen?  I tried using a heat lamp to warm up that area, but in this weather (and my garage, which is really just a tarp shed) that just isn't going to work.  

I've downloaded the demystification guide and started looking at it but I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions.  Snow is falling and I'm not making much headway on this.  

Thanks
    • By Tractor boy
      Ive been trying to change the headlight bulbs on my 312-8. but i cant seem to get the glass cover off. So are these bulbs change able? And is there a reason for the headlights to not function if they are getting current?
      - Tractorboy
    • By Jeff-C175
      Detailed wiring from the Demystification Guide #492-4509
      4 pages 112.52KB
      p7-67 to p7-70

Onan powered

1989 416-8 model 31-16O801