Sign in to follow this  
Evil Archer 300

Oil Level

I recently purchased a 1988 518-H. When I check the Oil level on a cold motor it is very high, If I bump the ignition ( without starting ) it goes to the normal level. Any Ideas

Wheel Horse 518.jpg

Always pull the dipstick and wipe it, then check again.  Many small engines have a mysterious way of oil crawling up the dipstick tube while parked.

• Like 4

Are you pulling the dipstick and reading it, or are you pilling the dipstick, wiping it off, reinserting it and checking the oil level?

My 520 will read really high oil level because there is a lot of oil in the dipstick tube. You need to pull the dipstick, wipe it off, reinsert the stick and then read the level.

Darn @lynnmor you are faster on the draw that I am!.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thank You for the input. I don't normally wipe the Oil and reinsert. I've been checking Oil in all types of engines my whole life ( 37 years Heavy Equipment Operator ) I had never seen oil high on the Dipstick like that. I thought maybe a breather or something else was plugged.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MAD MARK
      Bought this 310-8 for $100 came with a plow but no engine. Just want to put in the cheap HF $99 Predator 6.5hp. Searched on here and found that people have done this but I cant really find any information on what they needed to do to get it to work. Looks like about a 2" engine plate since the height of the PTOs are different and the mounting bolt locations are different. Besides that, any more tips or pointers?

Just making this into a cheap plow tractor, I saw the linkage below the 310-8 is not like below my 312-8. It does not have a chain lift and just a straight bar. I mounted the blade to my 312-8 and it worked fine. Guessing the bar is so I can push down on the blade if need be? Is this something included in the plow package I missed before? Any insight there?

• By Evil Archer 300
      31180EO1   1OO862

• By Evil Archer 300
      New member here. Springwater NY I have owned my 310-8 for about 10 years, It's tough and very reliable.
      Last weekend I bought the 518-H. When I got it home it didn't seem to have the ability to climb the hill in my back yard. About a 15 degree slope. I found out ( A little Late ) Wheel Horse used 2 different Transaxles in these. Apparently I got the Eaton 700.
      Thru your sight and a very helpful Retired Wheel Horse dealer I changed the oil to a Synthetic. Seems 100% better.
      I am looking to replace Transaxle with a Eaton 1100.No rush.
      I do believe I got a great deal even with the 700 Tranny. Tractor with weights and chains, 48" side discharge ,42 Rear Discharge,48" Plow and a cart. $550
      The Tractor needs some work and a Paint job, But it runs well and mows great.
      Thanks for the help and keep up the good work

• By TN Dave
      Hi all:  I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help you can give me on this.

I have a Wheel Horse 310-8 that runs well and mows well.  However, one of the front tires went flat the other day.

There are no lug nuts on the wheel.  It appears that it may be attached with some sort of pressure seal, but frankly, I really can't tell how it is attached so I can't figure out how to get it off so I can repair the tire.  

The only things I can see on the wheel are the grease fitting, a cap which is filled with grease, and the tire valve stem.

Any thoughts or direction you can give me on this will be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you.
    • By Ken_in_TN
      This Toro Wheelhorse 310-8 has a 50" belly grader blade and a 42" rear discharge mower deck (not shown in the photos).  I am the original owner, and bought it new in 1993.  The tractor is in very good condition overall.  The right rear tire has a slow leak - could probably use new tires all around.  The parking brake does not work, but that is the only problem I know of. The Kohler Magnum motor doesn't smoke, doesn't use oil, runs great.  The last few years I have used it only for grading my gravel drive, but we are moving to a new house that doesn't require the drive to be maintained.  Includes all original manuals for the tractor, mower, motor, and blade.