Sign in to follow this  
Evil Archer 300

Oil Level

I recently purchased a 1988 518-H. When I check the Oil level on a cold motor it is very high, If I bump the ignition ( without starting ) it goes to the normal level. Any Ideas

Wheel Horse 518.jpg

Always pull the dipstick and wipe it, then check again.  Many small engines have a mysterious way of oil crawling up the dipstick tube while parked.

• Like 4

Are you pulling the dipstick and reading it, or are you pilling the dipstick, wiping it off, reinserting it and checking the oil level?

My 520 will read really high oil level because there is a lot of oil in the dipstick tube. You need to pull the dipstick, wipe it off, reinsert the stick and then read the level.

Darn @lynnmor you are faster on the draw that I am!.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thank You for the input. I don't normally wipe the Oil and reinsert. I've been checking Oil in all types of engines my whole life ( 37 years Heavy Equipment Operator ) I had never seen oil high on the Dipstick like that. I thought maybe a breather or something else was plugged.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Bobbi Barroso
      I accidentally added a 1/2 quart of SAE 30 in the transmission, is it ok or do I need to drain it out?
    • By Jackson3
      The 310-8 I bought new in 1994, the c100 I rebuilt the 10 hp with new valves,rod,piston and rings at .010 over, split trans and checked gears and bearings all good. The c81 I rebuilt the mower deck,bearings and belt, split trans checked gears and bearings all good. The dozer blade, 310-8 are original, the  tiller I rebuilt, 

• By wildfire305
      Hey folks - first timer and I love my new-to-me Wheel Horse. I just picked up a late 80s 310-8 with 42" deck and 17cu.ft. dump cart. It is in okay shape, and after performing 20 years worth of preventative maintenance last weekend it purrs like a kitten and is getting smoother. Previously, I had a 1984 Deutz Allis 917H 48" that was just too big and heavy to use at my house; I used it at my grandmas to mow her 2 acre lot. After grandma passed away, I didn't have much use for it. The brakes were lousy, it leaked from everywhere and was just plain worn out so I gave it away. I took a terrifying trip down my back slope on that tractor and that is when I learned a few things - those things aren't built for steep hills, hydro+open rear axle+one pedal=no brakes, they can roll over three times (without deck) land on their wheels, stay running and drive right back up the hill.  

I heat my house almost entirely with firewood for the past eight seasons. The hobby of getting the wood (usually helping neighbors cut down dead trees) has made me a lot of friends and I truly enjoy doing it. I really enjoy the challenge of all of it, and I keep telling my children that it builds their character. Every year the Misses allows me to buy a few items to help make the job easier. I bought this tractor mostly to help in all ways of moving logs out of other peoples back yards to the truck/trailer and then into my backyard for processing. It has already done great with a 1ft diameter x 50ft tall maple from my neighbors house.

In the past I have used a lot of winching equipment to get the logs where I need them, but this is often very time consuming and impractical to use anywhere but my own two acre hillside. Sometimes in the course of this work, I run into some challenging terrain and that is where I'm looking for advice to do a few mods to make this beast more capable. I also want to live and not die from a tractor accident like most normal people. Since I don't have a lot of experience with using a tractor for this purpose, I thought I would ask for y'all's help. For the purists - I don't intend to make any permanent mods. Feel free to vote for or against any of these and add your own to the list if you'd like. I don't intend on spending much on this tractor until it passes a shakedown period - the engine oil was low and dirty and the trans was low and a pretty milkshake brown. Improvements felt immediately after changing both.
      Mods:
      1. Tire chains - should be a massive improvement over the plain turf tires. Already ordered a set.
      2. Ag tires - never felt an improvement on the deutz when I switched, are they worth it? I only used that thing on grass though - so my experience may not matter.
      3. Front weights - Why would I need them? Because trailer?
      4. wheel weights or filling the tires or both

For safety concerns and tips: 
      1. Am I safer without the deck pulling logs or will the extra weight be a benefit?
      2. Should I keep the deck on for navigating grassy hills
      3. Is my thinking wrong and it is potentially safer to make the tractor lighter rather than heavier 

Maintenance help: Sometimes the trans has a little trouble getting into gear. I am always at a full stop when shifting, but I have to carefully do the "gentle wiggle" to get it into gear sometimes. I experience no grinding, but I've noticed that if I let my foot off the clutch a little helps it slip into gear. Can an adjustment be made or is this SOP? Seems more affected when not on flat ground.

Thanks for all your help and I look forward to our discussion.
    • By Evil Archer 300
      Yesterday I filled the Rear wheels with RV Antifreeze, Got the wheel Weights on and mounted the plow. Today Grading the 1500 ft Driveway.
      I'm impressed the new Eaton 1100 pushed like a bear. The Hydro lift is great. For the last 12 years I've been doing all the work here with the 310-8. Huge difference,
      When I bought this Tractor it was in tough shape all rusty and no maintenance. After some sandblasting ,Paint and a new Hydro I love it