DennisThornton

Allis Chalmers garden tractor - $2295

KC9KAS

Allis Chalmers "G" model.

Allis-Chalmers Model G

Allis-Chalmers Model G
The Model G is a small implement carrier tractor that was made by the Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Company. At the time of its introduction the Model G was unique for its rear-mounted, Continental N62 engine. It was a four-cylinder engine with a 2⅜ × 3½ inch bore and stroke. The Model G was designed for small farms and vegetable gardeners, and had its own line of implements specifically designed for it, including ploughs, planters, and cultivators. The design of the Model G allowed for a great view of the belly-mounted implements. David Brown Ltd. in the UK introduced a very similar tractor in the mid-1950s called the 2D where the tubular frame acted as an air receiver for the compressed air implement lifting system. David Brown were also disappointed with the number of sales.
  • Like 5

DennisThornton

I think I read that a South American country was reproducing them.  I could see it being useful for truck gardens and veggie crops.

• Like 2

953 nut

That Standard Twin with the sickle bar mower next to it looks interesting.

• Like 2

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

That Standard Twin with the sickle bar mower next to it looks interesting.

Show off!  :)

Tell us more?

3 minutes ago, ACman said:

You beat me to it @KC9KAS . Here's a picture of @WHX11 on one and a link to the post you just mentioned @DennisThornton .

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article60444281.html

Yep!  That's the article!  Not quite South America but close...  Probably do well in Cuba.  Heck, it makes sense for here in the states!  Maybe ahead of it's time?

• Like 1

953 nut
10 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Show off!

Not showing off;  I have one but have never seen one with a sickle bar.   

• Like 1

WHX??

Now how can I not like that fellas... I'm gonna call in @Achto on this cause I'm willing to bet the farm he knows a ton more about them then I do. All I know is they are sure fun to drive.:)

Dan had his in the show and someone pulled the start knob out and ran the battery down. With the help of another tractor it pull started real easy. Dan's brother mentioned thats why their dad said he took the knobs off so no one could do that. 

Anyhoo they got it started and Dan says you wanna drive it? I says do I know how? Crash course and off I went....was a blast!

Edited by WHX11
  • Like 2

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Not showing off;  I have one but have never seen one with a sickle bar.   

I knew you knew what you were talking about!  I'm constantly amazed, and reminded, of how much knowledge has accumulated on this forum!

But like I said, "Tell us more!"!  Please?

• Like 1

cschannuth

There's one for sale 15 miles south of Hermann, MO sitting along Hwy 19.  Looks fairly complete with a mower deck.

DennisThornton
16 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

There's one for sale 15 miles south of Hermann, MO sitting along Hwy 19.  Looks fairly complete with a mower deck.

With a mower deck!  Wouldn't have guess that for this style of a GT.  Pretty sure I wouldn't have used it as a mower...  But...

• Like 1

cschannuth

I assumed it was a mower deck. I glanced at it out of the corner of my eye before I realized it was there so it may be a belly grader blade or something like that. The next time I'm by there I will check it out more closely. 

• Like 1

Achto

The G that @WHX11 is driving in the pic belongs to my family. We have the culivator, mold board plow, sickle mower, center blade, & two row corn planter with fertilizer attachment for it. Very rarely do we take the attachments to a show as they tend to take up space  that can be utilized for another tractor. There is company that does diesel conversion for these allowing them to run a 60" deck. There is also an electric conversion for large green house farming.

• Like 3

ACman

American ingenuity at its best . Chalmers had a lot of firsts... using pneumatic tires , turbo charged diesel just to name a few . They were a huge company making way more than just Ag equipment. I believe @Ed Kennell worked for the hydro electric division . It's sad to see these old companies go . Yes AGCO does stand for ( Allis Gleaner Company) but there's no orange tractors being made anymore :( . Massey Ferguson , Challenger (bought rights from Caterpillar) Valtra and Fendt are your choices after dropping the orange AGCO branded and the White line of tractors  . I believe Simplicity (a Briggs & Stratton Co.) ended up with the rights to the Allis Chalmers name for some reason . Several years back they tried bringing back a rebadged Simplicity without success .

IMG_2161.JPG.70526163c0457d33a9043e4bee383b63.JPG

Edited by ACman
  • Like 4

KC9KAS

You fellows may know, but the moldboard plow attached in the front of the rear tires, as did the cultivators.

• Like 3

Achto

:text-yeahthat: All attachments are mounted on the center of the tractor, except for the fertilizer attachment for the planter. That hangs in front of the tractor & drives off of a separate wheel.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Standard Twin 

• Like 3

DennisThornton

l assume it plowed that entire field. 

• Like 2

pfrederi

The Gs were popular in tobacco operations as they could go under the sun screening hung over the fields.

• Like 2

Jim Demery
15 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

Allis Chalmers "G" model.

Allis-Chalmers Model G

Allis-Chalmers Model G
The Model G is a small implement carrier tractor that was made by the Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Company. At the time of its introduction the Model G was unique for its rear-mounted, Continental N62 engine. It was a four-cylinder engine with a 2⅜ × 3½ inch bore and stroke. The Model G was designed for small farms and vegetable gardeners, and had its own line of implements specifically designed for it, including ploughs, planters, and cultivators. The design of the Model G allowed for a great view of the belly-mounted implements. David Brown Ltd. in the UK introduced a very similar tractor in the mid-1950s called the 2D where the tubular frame acted as an air receiver for the compressed air implement lifting system. David Brown were also disappointed with the number of sales.

My grandfather had 1955 Allis Chalmers G he bought when he retired in 67. I'd give anything to have it back! 

• Like 4

EricF

I remember seeing these where I grew up in southern Michigan... They sometimes found their way onto larger farms to do utility work in tight spots where the bigger tractors couldn't get into, or for use as a tug to move wagons and equipment around (as long as some weight was hung off the front). Way to easy to pop a wheelie in one of those with too much weight in back -- which is why they ran belly-mounted attachments. Good memories!

• Like 4

DennisThornton

00b0b_EVK9wuazRJ_1200x900.jpg

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H

How about this AC B as a snow plower? My grandfather had a B when I was growing up (but was run hard and put up wet) then dad bought a C with narrow front end used to plow garden and drag/haul firewood , had nowhere to keep them out of the weather so they were sold but still have the memories, Jeff.

dscf4680.jpg

IMAG0421.jpg

• Like 4

cschannuth
On August 2, 2017 at 8:25 PM, DennisThornton said:

With a mower deck!  Wouldn't have guess that for this style of a GT.  Pretty sure I wouldn't have used it as a mower...  But...

I went past again today and it does appear to have some sort of belly mower on it.  The next time I'm by there and have enough time to pull in I will try to take some pictures. 

• Like 1

953 nut
On 8/3/2017 at 9:56 PM, DennisThornton said:

00b0b_EVK9wuazRJ_1200x900.jpg

Thanks Dennis, I had never seen the side mounted sickle bar. By the way, when the sulky was added to the twin it was called a convertible.

• Like 1