Big_Red_Fred

Big_Red_Fred

I purchased a 1054 last week above Pittsburgh Pa for 200, Running & complete, Did any of you change out the oil bath air cleaner to a standard filter or is it better to keep OEM filter ? 953Nut is gonna wack me with his baseball cap ;-) i bet if i change it, So let me read your thoughts Men, Red Fred597d26663ce8b_IMG_02761(1).jpg.3b6aa30fdc63c48ae64fa697efba8ea6.jpg

• Like 6

953 nut
18 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Did any of you change out the oil bath air cleaner to a standard filter or is it better to keep OEM filter

Actually I have a paper element air filter on my Street Rod 953 because it didn't come with an original one and I had the other on the shelf. It is a PITA to change out though, got to remove the grill and reach up behind the headlights to replace the element. If you don't want the oil bath filter I know there is bound to be a market for it, but think you would wish you kept it later on.

• Like 4

TravelinJavelin

i'm cleaning my original in solvent bath which now I got to over haul my carb or fuel pump one or the 2 but anyways will be using the original just got my tranny back together today no grind at all and thank you steve for the new dog screw!

• Like 5

Big_Red_Fred

I just wanna do whats right 953, My sons Neighbors are flipping out, they never seen one up close, some old feller alex said they called it the Tank, do you all ever hear that phrase ? In my time buying WH, this was my best buy so far, Heck theyre taking many photos today he said, i just had a Manual shipped , got it today, i'm wondering, should i take it to bare metal, or leave it alone & fix the flat & carb cleaned ? Is it worth more shiny ? 

Can i still get a clutch for it also, has sort of a grind to it or maybe like travlinJavlin did ? @TravelinJavelin

• Like 3

TravelinJavelin

check your belt and adjustments and pulleys ......the grind will stop as soon as you figure out when you depress that clutch to stop that pulley from turning or should check and feel your gears going them if its smooth or any binding at all and by the way the only way to take the tank out is to drop the tranny/rearend only

• Like 2

Aldon

I lean towards shiny. But I think they should be used too. It's easy to avoid using them if you put a ton of work into it. But you do get style points too:-)

• Like 5

Big_Red_Fred

Thats a sweet machine pacer, thats what im doing, yes dull paints Are in, but i like them to stand out to like my 67 coronet i use to have, it was a black car when i got it, i changed it to Hemi Orange when i was done, sum didnt like, A lot did, stood out like a sore thumb & roared with that 440 6pack, ill finda a old pic & add it for giggles, couldnt say the other word LOL

• Like 3

Aldon

I like it! And there is always more paint should you scratch it while putting it to work!

• Like 4

Big_Red_Fred

I'm adding some small touches too, wont say yet, but ill post slowly on the rebuild, im getting 2 more horses in August, but after getting them putting on back burner for now, a SK486 which i'm gonna trade, its mint, just needs a wax & buff & a C161 i think it is, another just a good buffing, the 1054 has my full attention at the moment .

We are gonna use it in the garden, with the Hydraulic Lift i can work sum nice  rows in the garden with it, so it will pull some chores

• Like 6

Big_Red_Fred

I have almost 25 acres, 10 plow able, See 1 old man & 2 boys working 3 troybilt  horses, youngest boy stops and walks away mumbling under his breath, oldest boy laughing at him, & sum Old Red Neck trading in the horse for a lawn chair & a Old Mil

953 thinks i should have a Big Show at my place hahaha ? Contest, who can plow the best hahaha, then plant the crop !

• Like 3

953 nut
7 hours ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Contest, who can plow the best

Plow days are becoming very popular. Lots of folks have a garden tractor but don't have enough land to plow. Give it a shot, may have a good turn out; just remember to hold off on offering adult beverages until the job is done!      :ychain:       

Image result for crooked rows plowed

• Like 6

ohiofarmer

Fred, I would say that you can have both shiny and patina. If you wet sand the paint a bit , starting with 1200 grit and then going finer to 2000, there may be enough paint left to buff it out. On tractors with rougher paint, like i have, it is the same procedure, except you clear over the smoothed out paint.

I did this to the Raider 10, which some idiot put a thin coat of rattle can red over the hood, and it came off, leaving the character behind. My other experiment is the c-141 which has pretty good paint, but some pitting on the hood. I worked it down with the sandpaper and then used some Rustoleum 2X clear and the hood after sanding again is a smooth as you please. The color is blotchy, but the combination of paint with some darker color primer showing through is beautiful to me. If you put a bit of water on the unfinished job, it looks like wood does with that magic first coat of varnish---the depth just pops right out.. I am gonna try putting some shiny clear over it [I think} , but before attempting that, I will practice on an old mower deck to see how it turns out.

But don't just jump in and try this on the pretty parts of the tractor before trying it on some old painted parts you do not care about.  I tried it on a rusty seat bottom and cannot believe how much red is still there under that rust. Even surfaces that are completely peppered over with rust have a lot of red still there.

I figure that if I make a mistake, the parts can always be painted the traditional way.

One thing about using 2X Rustoleum clear coat. Read the can about application as related to humidity! That stuff will turn milky white if sprayed in high humidity, so use an old part or unseen part to experiment on! I use it because it is U-V stabilized. I am sure that there is much better stuff you can buy, but rustoleum is my go-to paint for many things because it does not develop fish eye and seems to adhere well over other paint.

I wish I had more, but I am learning this process as I am writing about it, so as things develop, you can learn from my mistakes

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

Thanks for info Farmer on painting, its been over 10 years since i picked up & used by Snapon spray guns, 1st im going to my local Auto paint & body store to refresh my memory , then sit down with my son, yes a Dad & son project, He's also signing up to keep Dad in line on here, I'm excited, There is 1 thing @953 nut  will a 953 Fuel tank & straps fit the 1054, theres 2 on ebay last night, mine didnt come with an orginal nor a seat

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin
10 hours ago, pacer said:

As with many things, opinions on leaving our horses in "patina" or refurbing can run heated in both directions:angry-argument:

I thought maybe showing a pic of what a 1054 can look like in something other that "patina" -- this is mine in its "after" appearance. And, no it isnt back to specs/original, its just had a thorough rework and some nice paint. So can you guess how I like my horses

Finalresult002_zps1e45d5a7.jpg.1f880de583938cc47cc8d94659d2e328.jpg

absolutely beautiful tractor

4 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Thanks for info Farmer on painting, its been over 10 years since i picked up & used by Snapon spray guns, 1st im going to my local Auto paint & body store to refresh my memory , then sit down with my son, yes a Dad & son project, He's also signing up to keep Dad in line on here, I'm excited, There is 1 thing @953 nut  will a 953 Fuel tank & straps fit the 1054, theres 2 on ebay last night, mine didnt come with an orginal nor a seat

well I know in my manual according to the 953 the size of that is 2 3/4 gallon tank......I would think they would be the same underneath but I will let nut chime on this since i'm still learning the subtle differences between the two

• Like 2

elliot ness

Sweet score. :text-bravo:

Big_Red_Fred

Id say you correct on the fuel tank, 1 thing i'm doing is Stainless fastners through out, just 1 of my extras, there's a few more, sum may like, sum others will, building for me & son, have to give it a Red Fred Look, i could give a hint thou, hmmm, the hood, make it breath better on top, Louvers ? Like the 80's horses @TravelinJavelin

• Like 2

TravelinJavelin

air induction ram!

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

LOL, 1 of them old Ram Charger Hoods with a Max Wedge

SALTYWRIGHT

I PUT A DIESEL IN MY 1054 AND A WINCH ON THE FRONT.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
41 minutes ago, SALTYWRIGHT said:

I PUT A DIESEL IN MY 1054 AND A WINCH ON THE FRONT.

:wwp:

• Like 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

will a 953 Fuel tank & straps fit the 1054

Same thing, go for it.

• Like 2

Big_Red_Fred

There goes 90 bucks LOL, was working on C125 all day, it runs, but wide open, took motor off frame, started tearing down, ordering a full rebuild kit with new gov, tried every thing i know, took right steer tire off 1054, went to get a tube at hardware, yes they sell kohler parts too, tire pretty dry rotted, work for now till i get new tires, the Dog ran off with my PBJ dag gone it, that started the day with 125 LOL

• Like 1