Hey guys and gals...

Had something super weird happen.

I went to start my D-250 (Renault Engine) and the clutch won't work. 

So, instead of mowing for my 4th of July cookout, I pulled the 60" deck out and climbed underneath.

The clutch linkages are intact and the throw out lever was a little bit loose on the adjustment rod.

I adjusted the slack out of the throw out lever and prayed...

No change.

I fear something is internally wrong with the clutch.

The weird thing is that it worked fine when I last used it. How could something break sitting still?

I'm frustrated and confused.

I have a parts breakdown for the clutch assembly and I am dreading having to pull the whole motor to work on it.

Any advice? Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy 4th everyone!

Sounds like the clutch disc has stuck to the flywheel or the clutch pressure plate. If you can start the tractor in gear with lots of room to drive it do so while holding the pedal down. Speed up and slow down a few times to see if it will break loose. The higher the gear you can use the more effort is applied to the clutch. But do so safely.

Garry

• Like 4

Roll it up to so the front end is against a tree. Put it in high gear. Do not touch the clutch pedal, disable the ignition and crank the engine. The disc should break free.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BigMan-TinyTractor said:

Garry,

I tried that. It didn't work. 

Squonk,

Ain't tried that. I'll letcha know.

Actually I'm wrong. you need to hold the clutch pedal down while cranking. Sorry for the brain fade! 

• Like 3

Okay...

It worked!!!

I tried Squonk's method but the battery/starter didn't want to cooperate at cranking RPMs.

I revisited Garry's method as it occurred to me that I first tried it in low range.

Shifting on the fly in high range was impossible on level ground and the gear grinding scared me as I don't know how stout the gear box is or isn't. So I creeped it up an incline in granny low and turned around facing downhill.

With the engine idle cranked all the way down (motor barely running to the point the alternator light was coming on), I began a descent in neutral and was able to sync the gears to top gear in low range. I then climbed the hill again and repeated the process only in low 4th... Started down the hill and threw the range lever over in to high gear, mashed the clutch, said a few cuss words and dumped it.

All at once a big cloud of brown dust (dirt I'm assuming) blew out from under the mower (the deck was removed prior to this) and a couple interesting noises ensued and presto... It started working again!

I have no idea what the dirt cloud was about unless somehow it vibrated loose crap out of places I can't see from any angle. The machine is relatively clean.

Then something occurred to me and I may be in LALA land about it...

There is a tiny hole in the bottom of the fake bell housing that's actually part of the oil pan assembly (isolated from the actual oil sump) so as to have screw driver access to the flywheel as well as drain any oil from the clutch that may sneak past the rear main seal I'm assuming.

That hole is large enough to allow Mud Daubers to get in and they're bad here this year.

I have no earthly clue if that's what it was or not but I don't know what would cause a clutch to stick after being parked in a functional state.

Anyways,

Thank you both so much for the help and quick responses. You boys saved my tail big time.

I can only imagine that a new throw out bearing and clutch disk is nearly impossible to obtain.

Cheers, guys...

Thanks again!

Jacob

• Like 2

Not uncommon for the friction material to stick to the drive plate. Don't know why unless it is periods of high humidity and lack of use allowing a bit of rust to develop.

There is a large farm tractor next to me that gets parked with a stick of wood holding the clutch pedal down when not used.

Garry

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

gets parked with a stick of wood holding the clutch pedal down when not used.

Grew up with a Ford AA Doodlebug that we always propped the clutch down with a stick for that reason.

12 hours ago, BigMan-TinyTractor said:

Started down the hill and threw the range lever over in to high gear, mashed the clutch, said a few cuss words and dumped it.

All at once a big cloud of brown dust (dirt I'm assuming) blew out from under the mower (the deck was removed prior to this) and a couple interesting noises ensued and presto... It started working again!

:woohoo:           Sure wish we had a video of that, sounds like a fun ride! 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lak1965

New used fork from ebay shifter assembly with spring and bearings. Tomorrow I will upload a picture of a tool we made to reinstall the fork keeping spring and ball in place.
    • By Seacrestbf
      Hello

I have a D 200 and my sons have been cutting the lawn this summer and nerver check th oil and the seized the motor. I freed the motor up and it runs fine until there is a load. I checked the Compression  and I have one dead hole. ;-(   it broke my heart. I have a Mower, tiller, and snow thrower.

Any Advise? Should I buy a motor? Or rebuild or scrap?? I liked the machine. But I dont want to dump a ton of money into it if it is questionable. I am not sure if it is a Kohler or Onan??  Any thoughts

Thank you 

Brian Foley

• By Sarge
      What started out as a simple task of moving my 6-1/2' x 12' utility trailer to unload it's contents back into the Shed Repair Project after building a new floor turned out to be a really bad day . I figured the weight of the trailer and it's load was probably around 2,500lbs or more and the big D-180 should be able to handle it . Used the 3pt hitch and an adapter to lift the trailer tongue and off I went...until I got to the end of the north drive and the pump coupling on the hydro failed - badly . In hindsight - the trailer probably weighed closer to 4,000lbs the way it felt behind the truck ...

Now , the trailer had to be taken off the tractor and put on it's jack ....which didn't work out too well loaded that heavily . Since the trailer was built with 2x3 angle iron on the tongue it decided to fold itself into a pretzel - despite the wheels being blocked tight so it couldn't move . It fell over and I had to use the HI-Lift to get it off the ground . The sight of the trailer falling over in the rear view camera on the Dodge is still well embedded in my memory - I knew that was going to be another large project .

The coupling had an earlier repair from last winter's failure - so a pto pin was driven through the hole to get it out back to my work area to be fixed later . It made the short trip , but just barely and the tow valve was frozen tightly . As it turned out , the damage to the D was a much bigger issue..and cost 3 times as much in total .

The pic doesn't do the damage any justice - that entire tongue was bent badly -

Sand blasted , new tongue built and waiting for paint -

Painted , as it sits now awaiting the lights , wiring and re-install the floor decking .

All the while - got more work done on the D's pump problem . Found a great used pump , as well as a spare coupling in good shape . After a lot of machine work ($$$) we came up with a solution and everything was back together...

After all this I found that both the original mufflers were completely shot and falling apart - so another project ...

Bought a pair of 180* mandrel bends , two cone transitions and a pair of @jimkemp 8" mufflers (very nice, btw) . Fabricated the flanges for the engine's exhaust ports , as well as the pipes for the stacks -

Spent a lot of time rolling the engine over on the starter to slowly prime the pump back up and finally , after several months - fired Big Ugly to test the exhaust before painting the stacks . No leaks from the hydro thanks to some new o-rings and backer rings from @pfrederi on the hydro manifold , that was a big relief .

A bit shocked at the sound of the big opposed twin - somewhat like a Harley running on the choke or something - but overall not obnoxious or too loud ....

D180 startup.mp4

If you don't want to wait for the MP4 to load - here's the YouTube link -

I don't think the camera's microphone will show the sound too well , but so far I like it . Took a ride around the block , nice having this beast back up and running , finally . Now to finish that dumb trailer....pretty much wasted nearly the whole summer getting all of this done plus the hours at work . I'm about ready for a break but need to get ready for winter .

Sarge

• By Clay Dodson
      RAINES AUCTIONS **LIVE AUCTION SEPT 16TH @ 10:00 AM WITH PREVIEW FRIDAY 9:00-5:00 AND ON SATURDAY @ 8:00 AM UNTIL AUCTION TIME**   <CLICK HERE FOR PARTIAL CATALOG>      ^^PRE REGISTER NOW TO AVOID LONG LINES ON THE MORNING OF THE AUCTION.  CALL KATIE AT 540 775 3880, SHE WILL ISSUE YOU A BIDDERS NUMBER.  THEN JUST SHOW YOUR ID AND PICK UP YOUR BID CARD ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON OR SATURDAY MORNING^^           See below for 3 preview videos of the BIGGEST selection ever of Farm Tractors, Garden & Yard Tractors, Riding & Push Mowers, Implements, Bush Hogs, Finish Mowers, Chain Saws, Weed Eaters, Generators, Snow Blowers, Chippers, Tillers and tons MORE all SOLD ABSOLUTE RAIN OR SHINE!!!!    Including 80+ Wheel Horse Tractors, Wheel Horse Raider Models 10, 12, 211-4, 656, 416-8, C-160, Wheel Horse Charger Models 12, GT-14, A100, C160, D160, D200 w/blade, 310 B, 856, 317, 332, 854, 212-6, 211-5, 520-8, 211-3, C-120, Lawn Ranger,  Antique & Rare Tractors including David Bradley Suburbans, Panzer T707 & Chain Driven Bolens, John Deere Models 650, 110, 112 L, 70, 420, 214, 316, 317, 318, 160, 111, 116, 212, 216, 332, Massey Ferguson 135 Diesel, Economy Power Kings & Jim Dandy models 1614, 2414, 2418 & others, Ford, 2 Yanmar 1500 & 2000, Simplicity Models 725 w/blade, 9020, 6216, Baron 7014, 7114, 2210, 3414, 637, 3012, 3410, 728, 3415, 3314, 7116, 7117, 5116 Special, 6211, 9020, Early Speedex Chain Driven Tractor, Scarce Very Clean Pennsylvania Meteor Model 1010, Gravely, Allis Chalmers, Case, Turf Trac, Toro, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, Honda, Craftsman and many many others.    ***CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW VIDEO #1***   ***PREVIEW VIDEO #2***   ****PREVIEW VIDEO #3***     ##LOAD OUT TERMS ARE AS FOLLOWS## THERE WILL BE AN INDEPENDENT PERSON LOADING OUT LARGE MOWERS & TRACTORS FOR $10 PER UNIT IF YOU NEED THAT SERVICE.  DUE TO THE LACK OF ROOM, THERE WILL BE *NO* LOADING USING LARGE EQUIPMENT UNTIL AFTER 2:00 PM. WE WILL SELL THE TRACTORS & EQUIPMENT IN THE FRONT AREA FIRST SO LOAD OUT CAN START ONCE WE ARE DONE WITH THAT AREA, ABOUT 2:00 PM.  YOU WILL ALSO BE ABLE TO LOAD OUT ALL DAY SUNDAY, MONDAY AND TUESDAY THE 19TH UNTIL 5:00 PM.  AT THAT POINT, ANY ITEMS LEFT BEHIND WILL BE SALVAGED UNLESS YOU HAVE PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE AUCTIONEERS, RAY RAINES OR CLAY DODSON.   ^^SPECIAL RATES AT THE ZION CROSSROADS BEST WESTERN (WHICH IS ONLY 3 MILES FROM THE SALE) IF YOU MENTION RAINES AUCTIONS^^  CALL 540 832 1700 AND REMEMBER TO MENTION RAINES AUCTIONS TO SAVE$$$~     **CLICK HERE FOR HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS SUGGESTIONS**    Mark your calendar now for this Colossal auction that is not to be missed~    Ray Raines Auctions VA License #3395
    • By 'garGuyPaulie
      Hello all - I have a 1990 312-8 that recently started being a pain to shift, and eventually it stopped shifting into 1st and reverse and was hard to get into 2nd and 3rd. After looking at some posts on here I discovered the possibility that a loose shifter could cause this problem. My shifter definitely had a lot of play in it so I proceeded to pull the seat, rear plate and shift plate off the tractor so I could get to the area where the shifter goes into the transmission. I removed the shifter, reseated it and got the dog head screw lined up in the shifter donut and was hoping that would fix the issue, but after getting it all reassembled and trying to shift even into 2nd or 3rd the shifter, while not as sloppy, now just turns side to side - taking it back out and inspecting the shifter I have discovered that the pin which holds the donut in place on the shifter has sheered and the donut is now able to free spin on the shaft. Not too much of a problem as I plan on just pressing the old pin out and replacing, however I am concerned that the ball on the end of the shifter seems to be getting pretty flattened off on the left and right sides of the ball. I tried looking up a replacement on Toro and several other parts websites but I can't find one anywhere - I can get the boot, everyone has those, but no shifter. My question is, does anyone know where I might be able to find a new shifter and more important, is a little flattening on the ball anything to worry about? 

Also, with the shifter out, looking down the hole my transmission looks like it's full of mud! Definitely doesn't look like the gear oil I put in it - anyone know what could be causing the transmission gear oil to be sludging up like that?