My wheelhorse 314-8 won't charge the battery while its running, it used to but now it doesnt. The wiring is stock as it came from factory. Runs good, just have to jump/charge It every time

:twocents-02cents:   With the engine running near wide open throttle what is the voltage reading at the battery? The first step in solving any electrical problem is to have the battery load tested. Next, clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds. The voltage regulator is bolted to the frame and if this connection is corroded it will prevent it from working properly. Take these steps and let us know what you find.

• Like 1

On the tractors voltometer, you can watch the battery drain while running, its aggravating, I go do work with it and turn it off to talk to my customer, and have to jump it. But will do the others 

is this a 1985 314-8 with a K-Series?  Only year they used them on 314s.  1993-98 314-8 used magnums which draw no current while running.  If your 314 is a newer one and the battery voltage drops while it is running you have another issue as a short perhaps???

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sirtowsalot
      Howdy y'all!
      I'm having some trouble with my 418-A. I think it is ignition related, but I'm not completely sure. It starts and runs perfectly fine, but when I go to turn it off, it doesn't work. I can just turn the key into the 'off' position and take the key out while the tractor is still running and it will continue to run as if I hadn't turned the key off.

I'm trying to keep this tractor as original as possible, so I don't really want to buy a new ignition. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

*EDIT*
      Wheel Horse 418-A
      Kohler Engine
      18 HP
      Model No. M18QS
      Spec. No. 24510
      Serial No. 1619706606
    • By bizzo15

Decided to sell the 314-8, wife wants to mow the lawn more and doesn't like shifting gears.  It's a 97 or 98(i don't remember off top of my head) 314-8 hour meter says it has 261 hours but it's broken so if I had to estimate the hours I would 600-800.  Mechanically very strong with no issues, I've used it weekly to mow my lawn for the last couple of years.  Comes with a 37" side discharge deck and bagger setup if you want it(not pictured).  Only trades I'm really interested in would be a full hydro tractor.  Let me know if you have any questions.

• By Taylor953wheelhorse
      I bought this cart a couple years ago and I have never been able to find any pictures of another one like it. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me about it. 

Thanks 

• By CletisNester
      Looking for a Wheel Horse Sickle Bar mower to fit a Model Electro 12 Model 1-7245 Wheel Horse Lawn & Garden Tractor,. Information I have is a Side Mounted Sickle, Model SML-506 (Formerly SMS-506 would work. Any feedback would be much appreciated. 
    • By Jack Oldham
      Hi All,
         I have a question regarding doing an electric mod on my Wheelhorse A800 Ranger. What I wish to do is install some front headlights, rear brake lights, and indicators on all four corners i would also like to install a horn a some point but that can come later. I'm unsure on the best way of wiring this, what gauge wire to use, do I need a fuse if so what ampage and where also what size amp hour battery is best to use if I'm running these additions so i don't drain the battery. I understand more how I'm going to wire the indicators than how I'm going to get the break light to work but really require advice on both.
      Thanks for you time in reading this.
      Jack Oldham