Huntemcd

Ideas for custom attachments.

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, giddyap said:

plowing snow

Just keep in mind that every pound you put behind the rear wheels you're going to lose a proportionally smaller amount off of your steering tires

DennisThornton
28 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I agree with the concern about the the upper bar being attached to the tractor by relatively thin sheet metal.

Take a look at how Lowell designed the hitch he sells at wheelhorsepartsandmore.com

797883118_WheelhorsePartsandMoreHitch.jpg.ebfbb02bfa8eac30d544f672a731af09.jpg 

He uses a combination of the axle housing section of the transaxle and the drawbar hitch. He makes sure the weight is distributed--onto the axle castings using the bolt on clamps, and onto that lower hitch by welding the support arms going to the drawbar pin directly to the 2" receiver hitch tube.

Another idea is a thread that showed a member who bolted an extension to his plow frame and put weights on that extension--again, putting the load onto the axle casing portions of the transaxle.

No doubt what you have in your latest image can work. The question is how much weight will you want it to support?

Absolutely!  Can't get better than that!

So I'm not sure what we are doing here...

• Like 1

giddyap
5 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I'm not sure what we are doing here...

When my original contribution flopped the community helped fix it. We can move on

• Like 1

DennisThornton
4 minutes ago, giddyap said:

When my original contribution flopped the community helped fix it. We can move on

Oh!  I'm watching a rerun but I didn't see the first showing? 

Then I'm so glad because I didn't think this was going to end well!

• Haha 2

Lee1977
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@Lee1977 maybe?

Not me. I don't have a snow plow.  I did build a grader blade.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
8 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Not me. I don't have a snow plow.  I did build a grader blade.

That grader blade have pictures on this forum?

Handy Don
2 hours ago, giddyap said:

I think this will support enough weight to help plowing snow

An extension to the plow frame would be a fulcrum and lever (I think)

Yes, a plow frame extension forms a lever--it's pivoting around the axle attach point and trying to lift the plow!

An extension would have to be strong enough to hold the weights.

The axle attach point is supporting the plow frame, the extension, and the extra weight.

• Like 2

Lee1977
12 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

That grader blade have pictures on this forum?

Yes but I have no ideal where it's in some one else's tread.

SAM-0804.jpg

SAM-0805.jpg

SAM-0807.jpg

The frame is 2" channel with a short piece of 4" channel at the pivot. The pivot pin is a 7/8" Ford pickup king pin.  the blade is a 5 ft. grader blade I cut down to 4 ft. It weighs around 80 #.

SAM-1038.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

tbear853
On 12/23/2020 at 9:29 AM, Handy Don said:

Yes, a plow frame extension forms a lever--it's pivoting around the axle attach point and trying to lift the plow!

An extension would have to be strong enough to hold the weights.

The axle attach point is supporting the plow frame, the extension, and the extra weight.

Back in 1981 I bought a well used but running 701 at a flea market for $75. I mowed with it, but come winter I looked for a plow.  I found a short WH plow, it mounted to the tractor under the engine, not rear axle.  Maybe it was meant for something else, but I mounted it, even got it to lift.  42" wide blade, if one had traction, if a heavy snow, it would even lift the front wheels because of where it mounted, the rear of the frame turned upwards towards the frame.  Later, in 1991 I sold the tractor after getting my C-85, so I cut the curved ears off the plow and extended straight back to under the rear axle with 1x2 channel, "X" braced it, got it to lift too but man is it heavy.  I added a transport bar that hooks into front "tach-a-matic" hookup.   I made my axle brackets of 3/8" steel, for plow frame eyes I used steel tube with rubber shock absorber bushings in them, I use 1/2" bolts with a clip pin to secure each side.  I built a table of sorts that would attach under it and the table extended out behind the tractor, a couple cinder blocks or old rusty Ford cylinder  heads weighted it as a great counterbalance  ... and it sure helped lifting the plow! 

I need to dig it out and clean it up & throw it on?  After I bought a snow blower in the early '00s I think, I never used it again.  Got 4 sets tire chains and extra wet filled rears ready to go too.  One big snow in March, 1993, I plowed out several neighbors, my driveway, and the state roadway for near 1/4 mile.  That 8hp K did OK in 2 hi, but with the 16 repower it plowed the roadway going down hill in 3  hi & come up the  hill in 2 high, rolling the snow to my right.  Was a lot of fun now that I write about it.   Last time I used the plow, my neighbor that shares my drive complained about scratches ... and since we share drives, I bought the blower on a sale.  That neighbor moved. 

Wish I had kept the 701 even if just covered up.  

ebinmaine
46 minutes ago, tbear853 said:

Back in 1981 I bought a well used but running 701 at a flea market for $75. I mowed with it, but come winter I looked for a plow.  I found a short WH plow, it mounted to the tractor under the engine, not rear axle.  Maybe it was meant for something else, but I mounted it, even got it to lift.  42" wide blade, if one had traction, if a heavy snow, it would even lift the front wheels because of where it mounted, the rear of the frame turned upwards towards the frame.  Later, in 1991 I sold the tractor after getting my C-85, so I cut the curved ears off the plow and extended straight back to under the rear axle with 1x2 channel, "X" braced it, got it to lift too but man is it heavy.  I added a transport bar that hooks into front "tach-a-matic" hookup.   I made my axle brackets of 3/8" steel, for plow frame eyes I used steel tube with rubber shock absorber bushings in them, I use 1/2" bolts with a clip pin to secure each side.  I built a table of sorts that would attach under it and the table extended out behind the tractor, a couple cinder blocks or old rusty Ford cylinder  heads weighted it as a great counterbalance  ... and it sure helped lifting the plow! 

I need to dig it out and clean it up & throw it on?  After I bought a snow blower in the early '00s I think, I never used it again.  Got 4 sets tire chains and extra wet filled rears ready to go too.  One big snow in March, 1993, I plowed out several neighbors, my driveway, and the state roadway for near 1/4 mile.  That 8hp K did OK in 2 hi, but with the 16 repower it plowed the roadway going down hill in 3  hi & come up the  hill in 2 high, rolling the snow to my right.  Was a lot of fun now that I write about it.   Last time I used the plow, my neighbor that shares my drive complained about scratches ... and since we share drives, I bought the blower on a sale.  That neighbor moved. 

Wish I had kept the 701 even if just covered up.  

Love to see pics of that set-up!!

Neighbor said something like that to me they'd be shoveling all on their own or supplying half the funds for an insured pro. 

:scared-shocked: