csvt99

Upgrade Suggestions?

csvt99

Hello, I have an 877 hydro with the 8 hp Kohler and sun strand hydro with a 32" deck. I love this thing with the exception of the smokey motor, but I'm hoping a future rebuild will fix that. I am currently mowing with a spare family kubota diesel 4x4, but would like to switch back to a wheel horse. I would like more power to handle my slopes and a larger deck (42-48"). My family used to have a 1277 hydro but they seem to be difficult to find. Any suggestions on which models I should be looking for? I would like to use this to mow my lawn on a regular basis.Thank you!

• Like 2

Digger 66

I smell a re-power ......

Jerry77

Be awfully hard to beat a 312-8 with 42" deck for durability and ease of maintenance...nearly bulletproof..mows great too - easy deck to maintain without a strain..had one for years - should have kept it....:twocents-02cents:

• Like 5

Tankman

Had one 42" SD deck, sold it.

Use 48" SD decks and never had any problems with 12 hp Kohlers. Of course my 14 hp, 16 hp and 20 hp are unstoppable.

I do like 400 series Horses. Who doesn't? :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 5

csvt99

Thank you! Are there any drawbacks to the newer machines? I love how my old one is rock solid and simple. It is also very smooth. It makes my dad's new cub cadet seem like a a toy.

• Like 1

csvt99

I did find a local c160 hydro with 42" deck and a GT14 so I might have to check them out.

• Like 4

953 nut

The C-160 and GT-14 are both very good choices. Depending on the size of your lawn and other factors like other things you want to do with it the GT-14 may be a bit bigger than needed, I have one with a front end loader and don't think I would want to mow with it because of all the tight turns and obstetrical I encounter. The C-160 is only slightly bigger than the 877 and will handle a 48" deck effortlessly.

That being said, a test drive of each will tell you which one is for you.

No mater what :wh: you buy,     :wwp:

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 6

Ed Kennell

I would take a long look at the C-160H.  IMO, this would be the ideal tractor if I could only have one.    But then I am partial to the Cs, Kohler K engines and Hydros  w/hyd lift and foot motion control.

The 160 could handle any implement you eventually put on it including a snow thrower or tiller.  You just need to do some checks to verify the hydro is strong.

• Like 3

roadapples

All good advice...I too am partial to the C160...  If one of these don`t work out I`m sure you can make a good deal at the Big Show next month, and plenty of good people to help with questions and suggestions...hope to see you there..

• Like 2

Racinbob
11 hours ago, csvt99 said:

Thank you! Are there any drawbacks to the newer machines? I love how my old one is rock solid and simple. It is also very smooth. It makes my dad's new cub cadet seem like a a toy.

If there's a drawback to the newer machines it would be electrical. Just take a look at the schematics for them compared to the older models. That can pose issues for those not electrically inclined. But the later models are reliable and the fact that attachments from 1973-2007 are basically the same is a big plus. :)

• Like 3

csvt99

Thank you all very much. Any tips to testing the hydro? Perhaps a hill climb I guess. I can always compare to my 877 since that has seemed fine. I may have to wait a bit since I have several other projects going on at the moment but we shall see. This c160 was rebuilt two years ago which sounds nice.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, csvt99 said:

Any tips to testing the hydro?

Run it till the oil is hot, then chain it to a tree and see if it will spin the tires in forward and reverse.

• Like 1

Sarge

The 877 and 1277 share the same rear hydrogear pump setup and differential which is an automotive type bevel gear - think 2-pinion style . The later model C series uses the differential gears inside the bull gear and has the stronger piston to piston pump setup . That said , a strong older unit is pretty tough to beat , I'd put mine up against my C-160 any day in pulling power as they are pretty much dead equal but it's rare to find any of the older units in good condition . It's just a matter of age and a lack of proper oil changes on the hydro as with most of these , the piston style pumps were a little more forgiving to dirty oil than the early versions . I have both a C-160 and '74 16 Auto , both are absolute animals but they still lack pressurized engine lubrication as with any Kohler K-series engine - just keep that in mind , no side slopes , ever .

That said , in the looks department , the C-series are fairly ugly compared to the more elegant farm-tractor look of the older 1277 and it's long tapered hood . Not to mention , it's about the simplest design they ever did and extremely versatile in using attachments . The holy grail to me would be an engine swap to a later model K-341 on a 1277 - make yourself a 1677 and also use the later model hydro unit for the rear axle ....!!!

Sarge

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

csvt99

This is great info. Thanks so much. Are you saying I should not be doing side slopes with a K series motor? I have a pretty good 4:1 slope on one side of my lot. Would I need to mow up and down?

Also, is the 1277 on a longer frame than the 877?

• Like 1

csvt99

Here are some photos of the c160 that I found for sale.

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

• Like 5

953 nut
1 hour ago, csvt99 said:

should not be doing side slopes with a K series motor?

That is a fact. The oil can run to one side and the dipper on the rod sill not be able to splash oil for lubrication. I would caution you to be very careful about driving down a steep slope too, the wheel with the least traction will be attempting to hold you back while the other one is freewheeling.          :twocents-02cents:        Slow ans easy up and down on hills.

• Like 3

csvt99

Thank you for this helpful information. It sounds like I need to rethink my plan. Perhaps I will stay with the kubota for now and just use the 877 on the flat for trimming since the kubota has a 60" deck. Is there a motor or model that would be okay on slopes? I love how my 877 has better traction on the slopes than my 4x4 kubota.

• Excellent 1

953 nut

The KT  twin cylinder engines are supposed to be good for 30 degrees. The early 417 418 and the C 175 and C 195 would be good candidates.

Protractor, 30 Degrees

• Like 2

ericj

the newer Kohler command engines with pressurized oil system and even an onan with a pressurized oil system is better for slopes, but like said above be careful on the slopes. I had a 520-H with wheel weights get away from me going down a hill one time and I almost had to clean my pants at the bottom of the hill, it was a very short but scary ride  :(  

eric j    

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
On 5/9/2017 at 9:28 PM, csvt99 said:

Perhaps I will stay with the kubota for now and just use the 877 on the flat for trimming since the kubota has a 60" deck.  I love how my 877 has better traction on the slopes than my 4x4 kubota.

First off I love my :wh: 520H I bought new, and with fluild filled AG tires and weighted wheels it does a good job on the slopes but I recently acquired myself a new red tractor a Mahindra SCUT eMax 22G with 60" deck but with 4x4 and gear drive it flat out does better sideways up and down steep slopes than my beloved 520, it holds back without sliding come down said slope (4wd engaged of course) which has happened to myself on a 520 like @ericj said above , not the most pleasant ride, but I'm thoroughly impressed with the safety agility of this little SCUT, so how come you find your :wh: to have better traction that the Kubota? turf tires? 4x4 not engaged? Just wondering?, Jeff. Picture of said slopes from the drivers seat of the eMax and the 520H (don't use those suitcase weights while mowing just blade and blower work)

IMAG3175.jpg

IMAG1657.jpg

• Like 3

can whlvr

I would buy that 160 and never look back,keep the oil up and she will be fine

• Like 3

roadapples
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

First off I love my :wh: 520H I bought new, and with fluild filled AG tires and weighted wheels it does a good job on the slopes but I recently acquired myself a new red tractor a Mahindra SCUT eMax 22G with 60" deck but with 4x4 and gear drive it flat out does better sideways up and down steep slopes than my beloved 520, it holds back without sliding come down said slope (4wd engaged of course) which has happened to myself on a 520 like @ericj said above , not the most pleasant ride, but I'm thoroughly impressed with the safety agility of this little SCUT, so how come you find your :wh: to have better traction that the Kubota? turf tires? 4x4 not engaged? Just wondering?, Jeff. Picture of said slopes from the drivers seat of the eMax and the 520H (don't use those suitcase weights while mowing just blade and blower work)

IMAG3175.jpg

IMAG1657.jpg

To each his own, but with that much land that hill would become wildlife habitat...:ROTF:

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
9 hours ago, roadapples said:

To each his own, but with that much land that hill would become wildlife habitat...:ROTF:

Really it is, deer and turkey especially, rabbits and ground hogs all roam the hills and of course the dang moles :ranting:... Then there's the 10+ acres of wooded land back in WV that I'll inherit, Jeff.

IMAG1208.jpg

• Like 3