Deadguy

Odd B80

Deadguy

Just how far could you factory custom order a Wheel Horse back in the day?  I have a B80 whose ID plate states it is a 1975 model year 4 speed, but it has an 8 speed, and it uses an 85" drive belt, not the 82" 7473 that the manual calls for.  Any thoughts?

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

The PO may have switch out the transmission for an 8 speed. I plan on switching a 4 speed trans out of a 1972 Commando for an 8 speed I picked up recently.

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

From what I can find B80 was only made from 1974-1977. The 74-75 came with a 4 speed the 76- 77 was a 8 speed

Someone could have put a 8 speed on your 75. I'm sure both trans  would hook up the same. I have the 77 8 speed and it is a better trans I think

• Like 3

Deadguy

What about the factory 8 speed operation decal on the frame, that appears to have a patina matching the rest of the tractor?

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Back in the day decals could have been ordered from another style tractor to make the 8 speed functional. :dunno:  

Deadguy

Ok.  All the paint fading matches exactly.  If this was changed to an 8 speed, it was done shortly after it left the factory.  I wonder if the dealer did it for a customer who wanted it that way?

rmaynard

No matter the case, I really like the layout of the shifter area. I have always disliked the "H" pattern shift plate that gets bent and carves grooves into the shifter.

KC9KAS

@Deadguy I have a 1975 B-80 also....with an 8 speed transmission......Maybe we have late 75's that use the 76 transmissions.

Wouldn't be the 1st time Wheel Horse "mixed it up"!

• Like 2

Deadguy

My B80 also has a K341, but that was installed by the previous owner.  So would the combo of the 8 speed and the K341 make this a C160 without headlights?

• Like 1

rmaynard

I little more research reveals that the Raider 6/8-speeds had that shift decal.

raiderset.png.bf7328c466b2c3f4a53f3a49ac1b4228.png 

So because the ID tag indicates that the base tractor is a 1975 B-80 4-speed, and the wear marks on the hoodstand assembly show that speed nuts had once been attached to hold the "H" pattern plate, my conclusion is that a transmission and decal from a Raider was transplanted either at the dealer or by an owner.

Just my :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

Wouldn't be the 1st time Wheel Horse "mixed it up"!

When I began posting on RedSquare I was sure I knew how to figure out exactly what year a :wh: was base on the numbering system etc. Now I know that the Ponds were very capable of changing course in mid stream and have given us a lot to talk about.   :text-lol:

• Like 2