WVHillbilly520H

Who bought their Wheel Horse new and still owns it?

WHX??

Yes amazing to see the original hand written sales slips and what they cost in the day. That was quite abit of coin in the those days and I would imagine a person had to think hard about putting down that kind of cash to get his lawn mowed or garden tilled (I'm sure there wasn't much plastic with a chip in it flashed around back then) for these machines. Think about how many  cows a farmer had to hand milk to afford say an RJ 57?!?!

:text-goodpost:Jeff.

• Like 2

farmer

My dad and I bought my 312 new in '93 as a retirement 'present' for him, he passed away in 2000.... the tractor has been good as gold and is always a reminder of him to me. :)

• Like 7

Racinbob

A subject of a previous thread is the 1976 I bought new at Chandlers in South Bend. Sold in 2000 when we moved here I was reunited with it a while back when I discovered the neighbor of our kids in Walkerton has it. I was up there last week closing on a house for our move back and was informed that there's only one destiny for that tractor. That is for it to become mine again. The circumstances are unfortunate as the lady lost her husband a little over a year ago and she no longer can care for her yard herself. She has been letting some of her late husbands things go but the Wheel Horse was his favorite tractor and, knowing that we we moving back, she has been holding on to it for me until we get there. So yes, I bought it new but just didn't own it for 17 years in the middle. BTW, I paid $1626.00 for it with a deck. Adding a blower, chains, a light kit and taxes it totaled $2250.00. :)

• Like 4

ericj

Dad bought a new 73 12 Auto with 36" deck,but then traded it in on a 417-8 somewhere around 86. I still have it. He also bought a slightly used D200 in or around 1975. it only has about 400 hrs on it and has never mowed a blade of grass. Always used as a garden tractor or plow tractor with the 56" dozer blade. My brother bought a new 416-8 in 94 when he bought his first house and I fell in love with onan. When I bought my house I wanted a 416-H but could not afford one. by the time I could afford a new wheel horse the no longer used the onan and bought a 99 314-8 with a 42 rear discharge deck which I still have both. the tractor only has a little over 300 hrs. last year I went to a public sale and bought a one owner 73 auto and I have over the years bought a 97 416-H with around 300 hours on it along with alot of other little red tractors I may add.:ROTF:

eric j 

• Like 2

T-Mo

Brand new 520-H in Maine, 1991.  Is this anyone here on RS?

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

@ericj, yep after my dealer fired up that Onan on that 520H I was all a gush, had been to the JD and CC dealers in my home town, comparable model tractors at the time was $9-10k with 20+hp hydro/hydraulics and snow plow, went next door as price was "good" but I was a bit leary of belt drive vs shaft and as my dealer explained if it's driving a pump what difference does it make unless the belt or pump gives out? and it has pulled/pushed just as much if not more than any cast manual trans Cub Cadet dad or I has/had, also he said implements would fit from '73 to this one so used ones would be easier/cheaper to come by, as he had just got his first shipment of xi in and they were priced right with the JD and CC I just had quoted, Jeff.

@T-Mo, that video is cool, wish I had some of mine when new.

• Like 1

Lee1977

I can't find the sales receipt, but I still have it somewhere. I payed $2200 for The C-120 8 speed with a 48" deck and tub cart was a special deal. Had to get a bank loan, I think the payments were $78 a month. All the bearing and bushings have been replaced even add oilite bushings on the PTO shaft and the clutch shaft. 3500# trailer wheels and hubs with heims  joints on the tie rods. The fan gear shaft has been changed to one with a nut and carter key. I have also added a 2" receiver and a front bumper. The deck has been rebuilt three time had Double Ds then 3/4" keyed, and now metric spindles. The pressed steel deck pulleys I have worn out two sets. The last set got so bad it wouldn't cut high grass. I took the Double D cast Iron pulleys had the board out and sleeved down to 5/8" had to face off some of the top. Had a drawing of what was required but that computer is dead. Added dogwood rollers with oillite bushings. It's still mowing 2 acres after 40 years.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 5

Cee245

My Dad bought a 1991 416-8 sometime that year. I now have this tractor. It's been a great runner till the tyranny locked up a few years ago, I've rebuilt that and next is going to be the onan and painting all the metal. 

C

• Like 2

BESTDOGEVER

I bought my 310-8 new in 1987 it looks a lot rougher than most of the ones shown but it still runs like new I used it all last summer mowing with the 48 inch deck if I can get the 518h to be that reliable after I change the engine I will be a happy man. I'm pretty sure that it has over 2000 hours on it at least 

• Like 1

TDF5G

This is a great thread.  Very interesting.:handgestures-thumbupright:

My dad still uses his 1996 Anniversary 314-8, purchased new.

My brother still uses his 1998 520xi, purchased new.

My uncle has a 310-8 that he's gonna sell to me that he purchased new.  I thinks it's a '92-'93.

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1