elcamino/wheelhorse

Wiring help, fuel pump, electric lift and winch

elcamino/wheelhorse

I want to install an electric fuel pump , electric lift on the rear hitch and a winch on the front of a 1988 416-8 . I plan on using separate switches for each. Should I connect all to the red wire on the 25 amp  battery line ? Not sure where to connect them . Also should I just cap the inlet and outlet for the existing fuel pump. tractor has a single cylinder Kohler motor. Next question none of the dash lights work . I know I need to check the connectors , but in checking the wiring diagram it indicates a rectangle object in the red wire coming from the switch on the battery   ( wire number 5 on switch ) but does not identify the object. Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide. 

Walt

Would need to look at wiring diagram but from your description I would guess rectangular item is a in line fuse.

squonk

Here's some fuel pump advice Jim:

pfrederi

The electric demystification manual doesn't show a 1988.  They changed teth wiring a lot over its model life.  Here are couple  Could be the test switch.

416-8a.JPG

416-8.JPG

elcamino/wheelhorse

@pfrederi  Thanks for the diagrams , neither show what I am talking about , it maybe a quick disconnect    

@squonk  Mike I have printed and read your thread on the electric pump hook up and still don't understand the relay and all the other stuff you discussed. Can I just hook into the power line ( battery ) that goes to the switch ? Or can I just connect to the battery ? All three electric units will have an on off switch.

Turn key on , turn on fuel pump ,wait few second , turn key to start.  Only use other 2 electric units when tractor is running. 

pfrederi

i wire my electric pumps to the ACC terminal.  The pumps are really low amp draw.  Turn the switch to RUN for a few seconds that will fill the bowl then start her up the pump will start running again after you release the key from the START position.  if you have a battery ignition suystem you can use the I terminal instead.

I am old and having to remember a separate switch to turn on...and more importantly off taxes my few remaing brain cells.

elcamino/wheelhorse

Paul , I am old also , just typing this uses all brain cells that are left and I am not sure they all work 100 % of the time.

pfrederi

For your winch/lift i would run them right off the battery with appropriate gauge wire and fuses.  Some winches draw a lot of amps.  You may have to use relays if the amp draw is so large it will exceed the rating of your selected toggle switches.

elcamino/wheelhorse

@pfrederiThanks so much you have answered my questions in a few sentences. Can I just cap off the mechanical fuel pump. It is on a single cylinder 16 hp kohler.

pfrederi

Cap off the pump. 

This may be your wiring diagram  looks like a fuse  youcan down load teh dymstification guide from this site.

1988.JPG

Edited by pfrederi

squonk

Since I really don't like running anything extra through the whimpy key switch on a horse I used the relay. I'm a relay fanatic. Really simple. The key switch powers up a puny little coil that closes contacts that power the pump. You can see by this pick the fuel pump I used draws 5.9 Amps. That's enough for me to want the relay. The relay contacts are wired right to the Bat with a fuse and handle the pump current.electrician-smiley-emoticon.gif

IMG_0012_zpsb30518d0.jpg  

elcamino/wheelhorse

Thanks to both of you for your help. @pfrederi that is the diagram that I have been looking at. It maybe a fuse , I just need to dig around on the tower to figure it out , that (whatever it is ) may be the cause of the lights not working  . The red wire goes from the rectangle to the number 11 spot on the light harness and then to the test light.

This project is turning into more fun than a barrel of monkeys.:lol: