Skeeters65

Taking electric start out of 551??

Skeeters65

Hello guys,

just curious if there is any reason why I couldn't take the electric start and battery out of a 551 to convert it into a 401?

i don't want to deal with electrical and like the clean look of no battery. 

Thanks

953 nut

:text-welcomeconfetti:           to     :rs:

It is your Wheel Horse and I see no reason for not converting it to a pull start if that is your desire. Probably be able to sell all of the parts to another member who wants to do the opposite.

• Like 3

ACman

:text-yeahthat: , just what @953 nut said ! 

• Like 1

Skeeters65

Are there any issues I will run into while doing this?

i don't have the tractor yet yo look at. 

Thanks

Michael D Conley

I just finished one today. Replaced the Techy with a k91 Kohler. The pulleys would not interchange so I had to pick up two 3/4 ID. Then I had to pull the flywheel from the Kohler and run an additional wire to the condenser from the kill switch to shut it off. I also had to tap the exhaust port to run the black pipe for the exhaust. Piece of cake!

image.jpeg

wallfish

A 551 is a different tractor than a 401 in a few ways so you can't technically convert it into a 401, but no reason you can't re-power it or just use the same engine without the electric start stuff

russellmc301

well now it is a 501 the newest breed of horse:)

Skeeters65
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

A 551 is a different tractor than a 401 in a few ways so you can't technically convert it into a 401, but no reason you can't re-power it or just use the same engine without the electric start stuff

I understand they aren't exactly the same. Just saying convert it so it has no electrical like a 401. 

Thanks

• Like 1

wallfish
36 minutes ago, Skeeters65 said:

I understand they aren't exactly the same. Just saying convert it so it has no electrical like a 401.

Oh, I was just pointing out they are different because most people that see them, but are unfamiliar with the differences may think they are the same but with different engines. Not the case with a 551 because that's the only mid engine tractor with a 2 piece trans. 401 has a 3 piece trans, hood stand and frame are completely different between the two models. It's also common that people mix up the model numbers of those old tractors because they do look basically the same.

My misunderstanding because it just seemed like that's what your original question was about since it had the "convert it into a 401". Like your intention was to try and keep it original. 

For example, a 1960 550 which is electric start can easily be converted to a non-electric start 400 with a different engine and basically be original because they are essentially the same exact tractor with different engines and minor parts. Something like that is what I thought you were going for so just wanted to provide some info.

Since that is not the situation, there is absolutely no reason at all why you can't remove the battery and electric start from a 551 and go to a pull start.

Are you keeping the original H55 engine? or going with a Kohler K91? Or other? that info would help determine any potential issues but none of them are anything difficult to get around. Michael already covered the K91 swap. These mid engine tractors are very simple in design and very easy to work on.

• Like 2

Skeeters65

Wallfish,

I don't have a tractor yet. Still looking for something local. I was set on a 401 but haven't had any luck.  There is a 551 local if the guy would respond I would like to check it out. Not sure what engine is in it but it already has pull start on it. Did the electric start 551 come with a pull start on it as a backup?

Is the 2 or 3 piece transmission better?

Thanks

wallfish

Yes the original engine also came with pull starter. Original engines for a 551 are a Tecumseh/Lauson H55--- 5.5 HP. Not to many of those survived.

The 2 piece trans on the 551 is a more heavy duty trans. BUT... these little tractors aren't used too much for hard work anyway so it doesn't really make much of a difference.

Both types will push snow and/or mow a lawn and even pull a land plow.

• Like 1