IndyFord2

C-120 Relocate muffler (Kohler)

Would like to relocate muffler, does get hot in carb, fuel pump aria after mowing for an hour or so. Have heard some people have had vapor lock issues. I like the look of the factory muffler, but the heat. Don't want a big stack sticking up n the air. I have seen some with the smaller "shower head" mufflers but was wondering about noise (are they louder).  Have also seen a few pic's of newer tractors that looked like the muffler was mounted horizontally above the PTO. I think I even saw one with a small chrome heat shield. Also looks like the air from the engine fan helps to dissipate the heat. Looking for any one that has good pic's of or ideas about this.

Pepper pots and shower head mufflers are very noisy. Actually never experienced vapor lock...

Here is one idea on a 12hp

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0063 (2).JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sarge
      I was cleaning some oil residue from an earlier dumb move - I try to keep things clean so any leaks that spring up show easily . I noticed along the top of the block towards the center from the right cylinder's valve cover a cast marking , cleaned it off and found this -

The casting mark clearly shows K532 .

Now , is this a case like the single cylinder blocks that were stamped "301" but you had to check internally whether it was a 10hp or 12hp engine ? K241 & K301 blocks are stamped the same and that is common knowledge .

But , what about the K482/K532/K662 twin opposed cast iron engines , same deal ?? Any insight on the blocks or anyone know for sure ?

Or - did someone swap out the original K482 from this '74 D180 to a K532 20hp from a donor ?? Some of the tins seem to be completely black to the bare metal , while others are clearly red underneath the black - so some painting has been done and this tractor it has at best a sketchy history . At one time it lived at the welding shop next to me to the West , or at least for a short time . The folks I got it from are about 40 miles away in a rural area and the gal that sold it had told me her father had gotten it from the town where I live - from the local welder . His son that now owns/runs the shop doesn't remember it but it may have belonged to his Dad who started the business - but he does say he knows his Dad never bought a new Wheel Horse , he'd only owned a Cub or two that he remembered . Anyway , hard telling on it's history and a lot of mods/repairs have been done in the machine's lifetime .

I'm just curious if this is the original engine/block - the tins are marked as a K482 / spec 35222b as it should be to match the '74 model year in the published model year reference list . The model tag was long gone off the tractor when I got it , the year came from figuring out the sum of it's parts as to the model and such . Maybe that casting mark explains why this engine feels so strong , there is a noticeable difference between the 482 and 532 engines before from when we used them in other industrial equipment such as Ditch Witch , ect . The 20hp version just had a lot more torque and grunt compared to the 18hp . The K662 is insanely powerful and quite underrated - I ran one of those years ago on a compactor with a gear drive transport feature - that engine is a whole different animal compared to the 18 & 20 versions .

Sarge

• By 608KEB
      One seat spring is about 1/4" lower than the other one. Has anyone had this problem. If so, what'd you do to fix it?

• By Chris Shapardon
      Runs and cuts, needs restoration. call, text or email sldneck@gmail.com 

• By valleyboy
      This engine has been bored .030 and has new internal parts installed. I purchased it from a man who was restoring a tractor and had the machine work and build up completed by a local machine shop. Part way through the restoration he decided to quit and sell off the parts he had completed. I have a Wheel Horse C120A that the engine lost a piston and I thought I could replace the k301 with the k321. As it turned out this engine has a cub oil pan and the pan from my k301 was not compatible. I repaired my k301 and now have this engine for sale. I removed the head and pan in order to take these pictures. The original piston and rod is with it and a rebuilt carb. It has new points, and the used coil. It is minus the shroud and the governor linkage. I had planned to use them off  of my K301.