Hukah

H55 wiring

Hukah

I am going to rebuild my H55.

i am taking pics to remind me where it goes and what it looks like, but the fuse block had been disconnect years before I got it.

can someone explain the wiring to/from this block?

is it possible to put lights on this electrical system?

iver just about got this thing back on the job thanks to you all.

i just tried to upload a pic and it won't let me.

ill post one from my computer soon.

wallfish

Not sure but I think member @formariz had some of those diodes. If memory serves me correctly, the charging system is 3 Amp and if running for long periods of time it was recommended to remove one of the diodes so the battery doesn't over charge. There is no regulator in this system, just the rectifier to transform AC to DC power.

h55.jpeg

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

Bit of literature on the subject

Garry

• Like 1

Hukah

You guys are awesome, I really appreciate the help I've gotten here.

i'll post some updated photos once I get all her panels back on and driving it.

Is there a way to bypass this diode system and/or add a regulator for lighting?

wallfish

@formariz will tag him for this thread. The first one didn't seem right for some reason. The diodes weren't expensive.

Maybe someone with electrical experience can recommend a modern rec/reg that will work if you prefer to go that way.

Member @puddlejumper did a couple of these engines too but he doesn't post as much anymore, so try sending him a PM. Bet he can help with what parts from what other engines will work in the H55.

formariz

I have the diodes if you need them. Just PM your address. Attached is some important information pertaining to that system. My first experience with engines was with h55's. Learned quite a bit about them.

3 AMP DC Alternator System.jpg

550 Wiring diagram.jpg

Wico  Magneto.jpg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2

Hukah

Formariz, hello.
I'm not sure how I missed your post, but here it is, and so am I, so I thank you for your response.
I went ahead and put a new engine on the tractor last Summer, but I haven't given up on trying to get the H55 running.
I just put a 'Stens' universal ignition module on my SB421 and I finally see spark out of her, but I checked the magneto and it's ohmed at 42,000, so i;m looking for a new mag for that machine.

I was thinking/wondering if a universal ign. module would work on the H55 (this is on my 552).
Do you have any experience with this change over?

Thx for your help.

Edited by Hukah

formariz

I have used that module on Kohlers but never attempted it on an H55. H55 has points and condenser under flywheel, so even if it is possible it is a substantial amount of work compared to doing it on a Kohler. Does it not have spark?