Blue Delta

94' Toro Wheelhorse 416-H Mild Resto/Clean

Nice garage floor! 

• Like 4

My vote is for just cleaning it up and keeping it as is!  Well, maybe upgrading the seat, too.  Nice looking machine!

• Like 2

Heck, that doesn't look so "Sad and Sorry" as you put it. (Or do I feel that way because I actually bought a WH in what seems to be much worse shape, although running and functioning) ;)

But seriously, that things looking good with just a cleanup so far. I cant believe the hubcaps.. nice.

:)

• Like 1

Nice 416 tractor you have. I have a 416-8 manual transmission version that I upgraded the engine to a briggs and Stratton vanguard v-twin 23 hp engine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikekot3 said:

Nice 416 tractor you have. I have a 416-8 manual transmission version that I upgraded the engine to a briggs and Stratton vanguard v-twin 23 hp engine.

Not to drift off from the thread but how do you like the Briggs conversion? Was it a S.E.W. kit? Fuel economy any better than the Onan? I'm sure 23hp is more than the original 16?  Wondering just in case my 520/P220 dies and instead of rebuilding repowering thanks,Jeff.

Hello Wvhillbilly,

Yes I like the conversion kit from small engine warehouse. It works well and the brackets included made the swap easier to do. If I put it in third gear and use full throttle I can do a small wheelie woo hoo !!   The fuel economy seems to be good.

• Like 1

Good deal I know it was a bit pricey but I'm sure a warranty on the unit and no worries over if the rebuilt Onan would hold up, 1 more question or 2 how does it sound compared to the Onan and any pics? Thanks Jeff.

Dare I say I don't think I know of a Briggs engine that does not leak oil (even new ones), if it isn't leaking then there is no oil it, fill the oil to the correct level again.

Slightly back on topic, I am getting the head gaskets to de-carbonise the cylinders as the machine has done 467 hours (I know the hour meter works as I have put 2 hours on it playing around). I have not pressure tested the cylinders but pulling the heads off a 20 year old engine will let me see if there is anything lurking since I have no idea why you buy and expensive tractor and not use it (I see LT's at work that have 4 times the hours, they are wrecked though but half the age).

The Briggs engine sounds very nice and does not have that annoying hunting sound my old Onan engine had. It does not leak oil and I run Mobil1 synthetic oil in it.

• Like 1

Your C-161 is a nice looking beast, shame we didn't get any black hoods in Australia

• Like 1

Nice tractor cschannuth I like tractor Wheel horses are made well and easy to work instead of the cheap crapola offered today.

• Like 3

Small update, the LH hub has moved about 3mm off the axle and of course it doesn't want to budge, should I pull it?

3mm ?

I would not worry too much about that little bit. Just make sure the set screws are tight.

Thanks Cleat, there is black pain even on the inside of the hub, almost like it has been like that for years

It's hard to see in this picture but the left side hub on my 520HC has a small gap as well.

The axles move in and out a tiny bit on all of my machines (even my truck) so I don't worry too much.

Rear hitch installed 1.jpg

There's actually a "fiber" spacer between the hubs and the axle housing on both my 520s, I believe it's there to keep the hub from wearing on the housing unless someone knows otherwise,Jeff.

IMAG2126.jpg

IMAG2125.jpg

Mine have this as well. Kind of a plastic thrust washer.

Nice tractor, we used to have a 416-6 speed ... I think. I don't know, that was back before I got interested in tractors. Anyway we traded it and a green and yellow thing for a gravely zero turn, it was sad to see it go because it was a nice tractor it used to be my grandparent's. I know exactly where it still sits. At the dealer's grave yard slowly rusting away, sad really.