Vixmith

Snow Blade from C-160 Fit 520H ?

Vixmith

Today 3:45 PM
I would like to put my snow blade from my old C-160 onto a recently purchased 520 H. I have used it with great success on a C-175A. But have read that it needs an extender to fit the 520H ? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanx, VGS

WNYPCRepair

I would put it on, and see what it looks like. All I needed to do was fabricate an extension for the lift point on mine, the blade cleared the front tires with no problem. The lift point was about 6 inches too far forward. I don't know what the one I bought came off of, but it definitely isn't extended in any way. 

I have since bought an extension kit, but I haven't used it yet

• Like 1

Vixmith

Thanx for the reply, Brian.

I was interested in whether extension kit would be needed.

What is in the extension kit you got?

and Semper Fi !

Edited by Vixmith
  • Like 1

roadapples

You only need the extension if it has the swept forward axle. And welcome to Red Square..

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, Vixmith said:

Thanx for the reply, Brian.

I was interested in whether extension kit would be needed.

What is in the extension kit you got?

and Semper Fi !

569f22c5b61d2_520plowextkit.jpg.d452b9a7

The piece at the back extends the mounting point back about 6", and the piece in the middle extends the lift point.

• Like 1

Vixmith

Brian,

You are very helpful. 

My 520H does have the swept forward axle.

My old C 160 8-speed was manual lift and the blade originally had a chain link to the lift bar.  I wanted more DOWN for cutting dirt so I got the solid link for the lift.  Manually, I lifted the front wheels of the tractor when pushing dirt.  Turned out that wasn't such a good idea because the bolts came loose in the Unidrive bull gear.  One bolt broke off and the piece caught in the bull gear teeth, breaking a piece out of the Unidrive housing casting.  ....then...I traded for the C 175A.  Used the blade on it with the solid lift link. but the hydrostat transmission has held up well.  Sadly the KT-17 engine on the C 175A has no positive lube system, so rings burnt out.  Had the engine rebuilt but before I re-installed it, I came across the 520H.  Since I already have a full set of attachments, I got the 520H.  Just hoping to get the snow blade working on it soon B4 too much snow.  Now....you know.....the rest of the story.  I'm a newbie here, but bought the C 160 8-speed in 1975.  Like much the Wheel Horse system and attachments, etc.  Too Bad that Toro had to screw it up.

Checking your photo, it looks like the blade angling lever has an offset that mine does not have.  Since the frame extension will push the blade ~6" forward, it makes sense that the lever will need an offset to the rear so I can reach it from the seat.  Is that true?

So....after boring you with my "Horsing" pains, Would you be willing to part with that extension kit?  or maybe direct me to where I can find one?

Thanx BuKu,

Vic

• Like 2

Tankman

Put a 48" blade on my 520-8 which has a forward swept axle. Fit fine but couldn't angle the blade, hit the front tires.

Without the extension kit, I modified the frame. At Lowes picked up a 1/8" dia steel rod. bent this new blade release rod to add 4 1/2" to its length. After cutting the frame & welding 4 1/2" pieces of angle iron  to both sides of the frame, added 4 1/2" x 1/2" dia rod to the blade angle control. All worked great.

After welding the 4 1/2" frame extenders in place, welded one (two) 12" long piece(s) of angle iron (both sides) over the extensions. All was stich welded. No need for continuous beads. Angle iron was (if memory serves this old Jarhead) 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/8". This reinforced the frame at the splices.

"Checking your photo, it looks like the blade angling lever has an offset that mine does not have.  Since the frame extension will push the blade ~6" forward, it makes sense that the lever will need an offset to the rear so I can reach it from the seat.  Is that true?"

Extending the frame at the front, didn't require the swept back angling lever.

Blade_Ext_Swept_Axle.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

WNYPCRepair
6 hours ago, Vixmith said:

Brian,

You are very helpful. 

My 520H does have the swept forward axle.

My old C 160 8-speed was manual lift and the blade originally had a chain link to the lift bar.  I wanted more DOWN for cutting dirt so I got the solid link for the lift.  Manually, I lifted the front wheels of the tractor when pushing dirt.  Turned out that wasn't such a good idea because the bolts came loose in the Unidrive bull gear.  One bolt broke off and the piece caught in the bull gear teeth, breaking a piece out of the Unidrive housing casting.  ....then...I traded for the C 175A.  Used the blade on it with the solid lift link. but the hydrostat transmission has held up well.  Sadly the KT-17 engine on the C 175A has no positive lube system, so rings burnt out.  Had the engine rebuilt but before I re-installed it, I came across the 520H.  Since I already have a full set of attachments, I got the 520H.  Just hoping to get the snow blade working on it soon B4 too much snow.  Now....you know.....the rest of the story.  I'm a newbie here, but bought the C 160 8-speed in 1975.  Like much the Wheel Horse system and attachments, etc.  Too Bad that Toro had to screw it up.

Checking your photo, it looks like the blade angling lever has an offset that mine does not have.  Since the frame extension will push the blade ~6" forward, it makes sense that the lever will need an offset to the rear so I can reach it from the seat.  Is that true?

So....after boring you with my "Horsing" pains, Would you be willing to part with that extension kit?  or maybe direct me to where I can find one?

Thanx BuKu,

Vic

That one in the pic isn't mine, I don't have the handle. And sorry, It's not for sale, I will eventually be putting it on my 520 blade. As far as where to get one, put a wanted ad here, check ebay and CL

• Like 1

bds1984

I installed a swept forward axle on my C165 last sumer and have had a 48" plow on it without that extension on it.  It does work, BUT, you can only have it straight or angled one 'click' to the right or left; it will not clear the front tires if you do not have the extension kit.  

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
47 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

I installed a swept forward axle on my C165 last sumer and have had a 48" plow on it without that extension on it.  It does work, BUT, you can only have it straight or angled one 'click' to the right or left; it will not clear the front tires if you do not have the extension kit.  

The 42" plows have only three positions and so would only work in the straight position.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
5 hours ago, bds1984 said:

OK, I am confused. 

I assume this is a swept forward axle, since it appears to be swept forward. 

56a055a72255d_520frontaxle.thumb.JPG.a65

I have a 48" blade, with no extension kit, and I can swivel the blade two clicks right, or two clicks left. It is close to the tires at the farthest setting right or left, but it doesn't hit. Is there a frame for these blades that is longer than normal, but shorter than with the extension?

• Like 1

cleat

I have the extension on mine and it just clears at full swivel.

Cleat

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
10 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I have a 48" blade, with no extension kit, and I can swivel the blade two clicks right, or two clicks left. It is close to the tires at the farthest setting right or left, but it doesn't hit. Is there a frame for these blades that is longer than normal, but shorter than with the extension?

Brian, I remember you commenting that you didn't recognize the plow that you have. Gravely used a similar design for their four wheel tractors.

56a0ee0e8fca6_Gravely4wheelsnowplow.thum

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I definitely have a WH plow. I took the blade off and put it on the frame for my XI, fits perfectly (xi blade was bent) and it looks exactly like the one in the picture I posted, except it is missing the extension kit.

As a matter of fact, I found a pic with the blade on, and angled all the way

blade.thumb.JPG.aecd394baddb291c0880ef90

• Like 1

Vixmith

I would like to sincerely thank all the helpful members who responded on my question about my blade from a C160 fitting my 520H.

I will probably be getting the rear axle mount for my 520H so won't have to move one mount between the C175A and the 520H when using blade and tiller on later work.  My blade is the 42" model because it only has 3 position holes.  Since we are in the middle of this snow storm, I probably won't get to use it this time around.

Still not decided on whether to get the extension kit / modify it per Tankman's DIY instructions. ( I like that mod because no change needed for the lever, but am wondering how well the longer snow plow frame would work on my shorter framed C175A ?)  The extension kit would enable re-shortening for use on which ever tractor.

My best option may be to return the C175A to service and not worry bout blading with the 520H.... but the 520H is a heavier tractor.  Have chains for both tractors.  Turf tires on the 520H and ag tires on the C175A. 

For those interested and courtesy feedback for all your help, I will get back to this site and thread with my solution and some pix. 

Thanx BuKu to all.

Vic 

C175A

520H

roadapples

Someone correct me if I`m wrong, but I think the only difference between the two tractors is the swept front axle. The frames are the same and the weight isn`t much different..

• Like 1