Jump to content
chrisog

1974 D-200 Starter Replacement

Recommended Posts

Can anyone help me figure out how I can get a replacement (new) starter for a 1974 D200?  I'm not sure how I cross-reference from an old part number to a new replacement (if there is one).  Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Sarge
      Since I've finally got some time with this D and not puking oil all over itself it's time to address a few small issues . Biggest one right now is how that blade engages the ground - it always wants to sit a few inches lower on the right side and always puts more force on that side as well . When I rebuilt the frame I made certain it was squared and flat to the head part and the blade - it still measures out perfectly with the rear mount and the blade's cutting edge staying on the same plane . But , trying to do light grading work and leveling material it always wants to cut more on that right side - I suspect part of this is the weight of that handle , the solid steel cross shafts and sub frame for the whole assembly . With those parts previously cut loose I was quite surprised at just how heavy that stuff was - probably close to 35lbs of steel . With that weight hanging off one side of the frame I suspect that's the root cause of the issue - anyone got an opinion on this or ran across the same issue ?
       
      I've considered either adding weight to the left side of the blade or maybe add a spring to the frame to help correct it - what have others done or am I by myself on this , lol ??
       
      Sarge
    • By Sarge
      Ok - the UL-1 batteries won't cut it for turning over the big cast iron Kohler twins - got one that is only 6mo old and it's basically shot already . One start cycle and if it doesn't fire it's done - needs to be jumped . Since it's mounted above the Sundstrand pump and so close to that thumper engine I'd assume the vibration is just killing the plates . At a rate of 2 batteries per year - that doesn't work out very well and the rotating mass of that engine just draws far too much from the battery - even with a new starter .
       
      From the BCI group number chart and some dimensions of what can fit in the tractor physically I come up with a Group 26 battery - what is everyone using in their twin cylinder D's ??
       
      I see an equivalent Deka runs about $80 - anyone tried that size on one of these D's ...?
       
      Sarge
    • By Joe Cubells
      My 1975 D200 needs a replacement or rebuild of its rear trans axle- does anyone out there know where I can find one, or a shop that can do a rebuild?
       
      thanks, Joe C
    • By Petes Horse
      Getting my mess of a d160 rebuilt and found the source of play in my steering.
      This may also explain the oddball rim.
       
      Bottom race. Or is it races now?

       
      -----------------------If you don't like modded OEM parts go no further, there be carnage ahead!----------------------------------------
       
      So I went on a hunt for a replacement. Wow those are expensive. No standard bearings even close.
      Turns out 3/4 x 1-3/8 x 1/2 wheel bearings fit perfect because of their flange. Well almost. The ID is a little off.
       
      Adjustment needed. I already ground the lip off. I believe the lips were to hold the bearings for assembly.

       
      The flange of the bearing sits nicely in the adjustment cup.
       
      Looking down into the cup with bearing in it. Flange side down.

       
      Worm alignment with sealed bearing in cup on left. Same as new.

       
      The cotter pin hole doesn't line up but there is enough room to drill a new one.
       
      End view with bearing installed.

       
      To install both top and bottom bearings you have to grind or turn a good portion of the shaft and the lip on the other side.
      It's only .030 so not to bad.
       
      Both bearings installed. Fit nicely against the shoulder of the race on the worm.

       
      Worm alignment with both bearings installed. Old outer races removed. tightened snug. Still has full travel and is more centered.

       
      No way to install cotter pin. but my alignment cup was so tight it will not come loose. I'm lucky I got it out.
       
      End cap with both bearings installed.

       
      Hi-tech cap removal tool one ground down wood bit.

       
      The sealed bearings sit up against the shoulder of the race and the bearing flanges face away from the worm.
      The flange may need adjusting depending on who made it. There is no inner seal so it can be greased like usual.
      I'm not sure how they will hold up to thrust loads but for 6 bucks I'll risk it.
      I didn't grind near the original races at all so it can be put back to original if need be, minus some metal anyway.
       
      Welp, back to painting parts.......
       
    • By Petes Horse
      I've been looking for a while. The bolt holes just line up and the wire is a little tight between the fender and light. No drilling though.
      They were at Rural King. I think about three bucks each. Optronics MC42RS RED  Marker/Clearance.
       
       



×