MikesRJ

Next Restoration: 1986 Wheel Horse 312-A

MikesRJ

Up next on restoration list is a 1986 Wheel Horse 312-A. This will be a bottom up restoration, with a bit of customization as well. Here's where I am starting.

A couple of things I've decided already: 1) I like the K motors better than the Magnum's, so the K motor is staying. It'll be rebuilt before going back on the machine. 2) Paint will be a custom paint job. I will once again try my hand at HVLP instead of my normal rattle cans. God help me! 3) Along w2ith the custom paint, the decals will also be a custom set. 4) The deck will probably be changed to a 42" RD instead of the SD that is on it. I'm sure I'll think of more things to change, but at the moment that's it.

@Vinylguy Terry, I'll be in touch soon to discuss.

Stay tuned... :)

IMG_1535.JPG

IMG_1536.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1538.JPG

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_1546.JPG

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1553.JPG

Edited by MikesRJ
  • Like 6

slammer302

Does that have the eaton 1100 trans?

MikesRJ

@slammer302
Yes, I believe it has a 700-015. Haven't really taken a close look at it yet. Problems?

Edited by MikesRJ

Martin

Im thinking an eaton 700 as well. can't see the filter typical of the eaton 1100 from the rear shot and this one also looks to have the electric lift. the 1100 as far as i know only had the hydro lift. a shot looking down at the seat pan with the seat flipped forward would confirm what it is. the filler sticks through part of the seat pan on the 700 (first pic), the 1100 is the second, you can see the filter placed down low on the left side of the trans......

100_0080.jpg

post-4321-0-58392300-1386206349.jpg

Edited by Martin

MikesRJ

@slammer302 and  @Martin
NOT the second one. No filter that I can see. So I guess a 700.

Edited by MikesRJ

DennisThornton

Mike, if you could confirm which trans I'd like to add it to my data.  And if you wouldn't mind, what size are the tires?

I think she is a great candidate!  She needs it and it would be a shame to see her overlooked.  Seems like now would be a good time before she gets worse.

MikesRJ

@Dennis Thornton
It's a 700 trans
Tires are 15-6-6 and 22-9-12

Edited by MikesRJ
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Mike, you always start a resto with a horse that doesn't need  much work.  :ychain:  Make her nice Mate.  :)
Have you had it running yet to check the hydro??  If you are just planning on showing it that 700 should be fine.  A lot of members on here do not like the 700 much...maybe search some topics.  :eusa-think:

MikesRJ

Steve, this ones a "turn-around" to sell off for the next restoration! Getting the thing running is my first priority. LOL :)

Edited by MikesRJ
  • Like 1

slammer302

i thought the eaton 700 didn't have a charger pump for the hydro lift but yours looks like it has the hydro lift i was just curios 

MikesRJ

@slammer302

You are right. The 700 does not have a charge pump circuit. If you look closely, you'll see it's electric on mine. :) I've yet to start pulling everything apart. I suppose all these details will become self-evident as I get to that stage. Right now I just want to get it started so I can check everything out before tearing it down.

Edited by MikesRJ

shallowwatersailor

Mike, It looks like a good candidate for a restoration. I think I can still see the chrome muffler. The PO on mine replicated it with stainless steel which was a plus.  I did a mild restoration on my 312-A three years ago. You may give me inspiration to go all the way a second time. I agree on going to a 42" RD. Mine  came with a 48" SD but works better with the 42". The Eaton 700 with a Kohler K-Series is still better than any current tractor offered today with less than a Tuff Torq K66. The electric lift on yours is a plus as well!

I'll be anxious to see what Terry does for decals!
DSCF9214.thumb.JPG.0f19400d3e6ba2a9c4fb0DSCF9215.thumb.JPG.cfb9f779096ab16ae6b7f

• Like 2

slammer302

Electric lift that's a big plus I think you have a great project there

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Wheel-N-It
Brother Mike, you are a good man for saving that old Wheel Horse. I'm not sure I would be up for that project.
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

@Dennis Thornton
It's a 700 trans
Tires are 15-6-6 and 22-9-12

Thanks Mike!  Another detail if I might?  

21-12KE01
or
21-12KE02?

@shallowwatersailor
Would you care to share a rear photo showing off that nice receiver hitch?

Edited by DennisThornton
added a question

boovuc

Hi Mike,
The electric lift complete system is selling for big bucks. I have two tractors now that have it and I love it! Snowblowing made easier on my back and I get to keep my 8 speeds.
Keep that in mind when you finish and sell. 700 Eaton lowers the value somewhat but the electric lift raises it back up and more!

• Like 2

MikesRJ

@Dennis Thornton: The label is long gone. Couldn't tell you other than everything else checks out as an '86.

A few things I have to state from the onset. Of all the Wheel Horses ever made, the black-hoods are my least favorite style. I dearly love the RJ, but certainly not for anything to do with it's overall look. The long frames though, now there is the model and style that for whatever reason just speaks to me. When it comes to restoring one of them, I don't really feel the need to change them much. I personalize every machine I restore of course, but on a classic long-frame, the customization is rather subtle. That said, and for those of you who have seen some of my restorations, I will depart from my usual fare. This one will have me stepping outside the box. From the paint scheme, to the colors, to the decals; all will be outside the norm. As I progress through this restoration, you'll see what I mean.

Edited by MikesRJ