wheel horsing

Woodruff key specs for 1980 C-145 Automatic

wheel horsing

Hi Red Square members. I'm a newbie here, but have used my 1980 Wheel Horse C-145 Automatic for years doing yard work and maintenance around my property. The other day, I was hauling a chainsaw, a small tool box, a gas can and bar oil in my cart, when the tractor stopped, about 100 yards from the barn. The motor continued running until I shut it down, but I couldn't get it to go forward or reverse. It acted like it was trying, it just wouldn't go. I checked the drive belt and tranny fluid, and both were fine. I began pushing the tractor by hand back to my barn, and after about 60 yards, the the left side rear tire dropped off, hub and all. If there had been a woodruff key in the axle shaft and hub, it dropped out and is lost. I got the tractor back to the barn and have been trying to get the right rear wheel off to check that key, figuring I would change them both, and change the tranny oil and filter at the same time. I removed the set screw, but have been unable to get the hub to come off the axle on the right side. Toro shows the woodruff key number as 937108, but I have been unable to come up with one. Are there specs on the dimensions of the key anywhere, and does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the right wheel hub off the right side axle. I have used a can of PB Blast, and a wheel/gear puller and haven't been able to make it budge. Any help would be much appreciated. It is an 01-14KS01.

gwest_ca

The 937108 key is a Woodruff #22 which is 1/4" x 1-3/8". They are listed in the file
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/5002-chart-wheel-horse-to-woodruff-keypdf/
Best to get one from Toro if you can because there may be differences in the hardness of the metal.

You should also replace the set screws and use Never Seize between the axle and hub so it will come off later if required.
Rear wheel hub set screw torque 28-32 Ft. Lb. or 39-45 Nm
Just snug up the nut to lock it there.
After a bit of use retorque a few times until you are satisfied it is staying tight.

I would leave the other hub where it is until it becomes necessary to remove it.
Don't try to pull the hub off the axle. You can pull the axle out of the transmission. Push the axle out of the hub using a method well described in other posts. The hubs break real easy.

Garry

squonk

Just so you know, I replaced the keys on my 73 12. Both keys were different. The original owner swears that the rear axle was never touched except for the right side seal.. Make sure the key way slots aren't worn out and the key fits good. If they wiggle a little I but some Loctite bearing and sleeve retainer to help take up some of the slop.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/46580-a-tale-of-2-keys/

th.jpg

wheel horsing

Thanks Garry and Mike for the info and tips. I was just about at my wits end, which somedays is closer than others. I will let you know how I make out. Can't wait to be horsing again.

Paul

Kegler

I might suggest changing the axle seal while you have the hub off. Cheap and easy to do while you have it apart.