Sign in to follow this  
squonk

A tale of 2 keys

squonk

When I got my 73 12 , I bought it from the original owner. He gave me every receipt he ever had. He pointed out the right axle seal leaks at times. When I got it home and after driving it some I noticed the right hub was loose. whilst taking the wheel off, part of the light duty hub came with it. It had been JB welded together and I called the guy and he said oh yeah that broke when He replaced the seal. I had another hub to put on but wanted to switch to the 2 set screw hubs. plus the key was worn. I decided to replace both hubs before spring. 

I read a thread about axle keys and got a pack of #22 keys from McMaster -Carr. I took the other side off first and found the keys were the wrong size. I needed #15 keys so I got a pack of them. I replaced the left and then when doing the right side I found I indeed needed the #22 key. I trans 2 sizes of axle keys on an original tractor. No receipts said anything about an axle repair  and the key slot looks factory. I wonder if this is normal or not. Here's a pic

post-2380-0-86500900-1395956161_thumb.jp

buckrancher

I think he forgot to tell you  the tractor had some trans work done at one time

both keys are factory I think a axle was changed  out at one time

Edited by buckrancher
  • Like 3

rwilson

Quality Control. :handgestures-thumbdown:

Stigian

Very strange.. It almost looks like one axle is a small diameter than the other... Is that even possible?

squonk

Axle diameters are the same. I used 520H hubs on it. This guy had everything for the tractor saved. Even the original spark plug. He knew where every scratch came from. The tractor was a dealer demo, Maybe something happened right out of the crate?

AMC RULES

...or was originally assembled, at the factory, with the parts they had on hand.    :confusion-shrug: 

stevasaurus

I think you want to name this horse - Morf...short for Morfidite.  :)  And do a "Dabble Check" on the rest of it. :eusa-think:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

dennist

When I got my 73 12 , I bought it from the original owner. He gave me every receipt he ever had. He pointed out the right axle seal leaks at times. When I got it home and after driving it some I noticed the right hub was loose. whilst taking the wheel off, part of the light duty hub came with it. It had been JB welded together and I called the guy and he said oh yeah that broke when He replaced the seal. I had another hub to put on but wanted to switch to the 2 set screw hubs. plus the key was worn. I decided to replace both hubs before spring.

I'm with Buckrancher on his one......

I think the "key" is within your 6th sentence. He tells you "oh yeah"......People forget, even if they have all good intent and think they remember and believe they have every paper. Sometimes life trumps paperwork and memory, someone may have gotten sick, have a bad day etc.

squonk

This guy had everything . He even remembered what he had for dinner the day he got it.

• Like 1

squonk

I think you want to name this horse - Morf...short for Morfidite.  :)  And do a "Dabble Check" on the rest of it. :eusa-think:

I have to keep

the name Ezra , because that's what he named it.

Glad the Bores signed the Hillbilly. Now I can still hate him!

stevasaurus

Squonk...Mike... Craig...AMC Rules...etc....how many names can you have?   My daughter got a cat one time...she (the cat) had a name...but we wanted to change it.  My daughter, my wife and I could not agree on a name...so we each used the name we wanted to use.  No big deal...the cat would not come to you anyway, unless you ruffled a little plastic.  You just need to have an apple in your hand in front of the horse...and a scoop for road apples behind...Morf will be there for you.  :)

squonk

Don't want to rile up the old guy by changing it's name. He might come after me with his Shooting iron ! He named it after the secretary of transportation under Eisenhower. What were you then, a teenager? He also named his motor home Irma! I think I got his entire life story in a half hour!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Mike...are you sure you are not related to this guy.  AND...I was a pre-teen, but I do remember Ike.  :bow-blue::)

Actually...I remember Noah.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus

squonk

This guy was cool. He had a 1921 REO Fire Engine in his garage and a working fire hydrant in his back yard. :)

Actually...I remember Noah.  :)

He kept telling the Rabbits "only two"  :)  :angry-nono:

608KEB

"I like Like" what did he have for dinner the day he brought it home?