CasualObserver

E-track and alternate tie downs discussion

CasualObserver

@bmsgaffer Brandon's not getting much response in his Sure-Trac Trailer topic, so I thought I'd separate out the tie down system part of the discussion.... Since proabably at least 75% us have and use trailers pretty regularly, what are you using to tie down? I had a particular interest, as I'm like Brandon and have just gotten a new trailer and am looking at what sort of tie down system (if any) to add to it. 

Just looking for some discussion points like:

• Who's using E-track, an alternate system or just tie down to whatever you can? 
  • How do you like your system?
  • Would you change it if you could?
  • If using E-track, what do you do in regards to keeping debris out of the track, or is it even a problem?

Previously I've only used regular hook straps, left to right, diagonal and front to back. Just tried like hell to make sure the load made it from point A to point B, hooking straps into any solid tie down point I could find on the frame that wouldn't shift in travel.

• Like 1

baerpath

I use E track two strips the length of the trailer so I can tie down two rows. Best way I've seen or use.  I use logistic ratchets to tie down (small ratchet straps used in tractor trailers 8 pullers take 5 minutes to tie down and they will not move.  I usually don't have a problem with debris I used it for 7 yr's

• Like 1

19richie66

I have welded whole chain links to the inside lower corners before and ratchet strap hooks fit right in them. Just got to get the right size chain. I just got a Big Tex trailer and it has tie downs welded to the lower side rails. Think its going to get the chain link treatment also.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Yea there was not much response... Following this topic, thanks Jason @CasualObserver!

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

squonk

I don't do a lot of hauling but I have heavy duty D rings bolted to the trailer floor. I use padded axle straps and automatic rewind ratchet straps from TSC. They work great so far.

bmsgaffer

VersaTie looks like a promising solution, does anyone have any experience with it? You can get versions that can be recessed into the floor and then buy a cover that fills the track.

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/versatie-aluminum-track-series4-96/VersaTie

The heavy duty attachment rings ($12 each) claim 5000lbs each... The light duty version ($5 ea) doesn't have a rating but if its even 1/4 of that I would be thrilled.

• Like 1

Shynon

I have e track on the floor inside my enclosed trailer. 2 strips full length of the  trailer, have some rings that attatch to the e track and then use regular ratchet straps. Strap down rear tire on the outside of each tractor.

buckrancher

I have E-track in my cargo trailer 3 rows one on each outside edge and one up the  middle have not had any problems with dirt in the track and I use the HD D-rings works fantastic

Brian

Edited by buckrancher

shallowwatersailor

Yesterday I received the Pack'Em straps and chocks that I am using for "placement." I am using one per tractor. They have an 800 lb. capacity per set but I will also use flush mount D-Rings for strapping them on.

I haven't decided whether I will haul the tractors backwards (safer loading) or frontwards (less chance of the hood/seat flying up.) Has anyone ever done a weight-bias measurement?Are tractors heavier towards the rear? The Pack'Em system is bolted to the floor with a strap around the tire. The rear tires size/axle width is more consistent with the Ride-Ons so I am leaning towards hauling backwards. When it is the Bee-Hinds turn for a road trip, I will just use the D-Rings I guess.

Pack'Em Strap.jpg

Edited by shallowwatersailor

baerpath

I've never used Pack em straps but don't think I'd like them I want my floor to be flat not have bumps when I haul other things or even other sizes of GT's  That's still just another version of E track with chocks 
On the hauling backwards Just make sure you put a strap over the hood. I learned when a semi and I met each of us doing 65 or so Broke both hood straps and bent the hood to where I scrapped it I either load so their facing forward or strap over the hood always

• Like 2

jimt1971

On the enclosed trailer I run four lines of E-track front to back. On the open trailer I run two rows down the center of the trailer.

shallowwatersailor

I started installing the D-Rings on the floor. So far the front and rear ones are in place but not bolted on. I plan on staining the deck and want the wood underneath to be protected as well. It turns out that the 5xi is a smidge too long to also carry a classic Wheel Horse. I have to admit that I was a bit concerned about the combined weight as well. I guess I should have bought a tandem 6'x14' to do that.  Oh well, next time. :)

Here is the 523Dxi up on the trailer (actually too far forward), and my C-105. My plan at this point is to install 4 more D-Rings centered to strap the rear ends down. It looks like I will use the Pack'Em straps in different sequences. 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th to hold two classic WH back-to-back, and either 2nd-3rd or 3rd-4th for the 5xi. They will provide a fifth point of securing the tractors.
DSCN3182.thumb.JPG.c0dfe6991657f7e21a65aDSCN3185.thumb.JPG.b26ce52a844785912752fDSCN3184.thumb.JPG.d7be3a673d3a25ba46fcd