mels

Tube valve stem diameter vs. rim opening

mels

Couldn't think of a better way to title it, lol

So here's the problem (opportunity).  Mounted the new hoops for Wifeys' RJ yesterday, trouble is the holes in the rims for the valvestems (using tubes) are much larger inside diameter than the outside diameter of the tubes' valvestems.  

Ended up ditching the plan to tube the rears and just pulled a tubless valvestem in them for now.

Want to run tubes in the fronts, and on the wagon as well but don't want the gap around the valvestem.  Will call Morrow Tire later this morning, but I'm wondering if anyone has a lead on a cover that would slip over the valvestem, pulling through the opening from behind and serve to fill that gap?

Thanks fellas,

Mel 

Racinbob

I've got some covers but they are just a stainless sleeve for looks. You might try tubes with a TR-4 or Tr-6 stem. They are the type with nuts and I used them on mine.

• Like 2

mels

Yeah I should've been specific with them when I bought everything.  Never crossed my mind that there might be a difference, in retrospect I kinda wish they would've asked me.  Lol

buckrancher

std tubes for RJ's have tr15 stems miller tire sells a round spacer to take the difference

Brian

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Yep, I recently found out that there are multiple sizes of valve stems.

Was a pain and surprise.

• Like 1

mels

I can't say enough about the folks at Morrow tire.

Called them this afternoon and answering machine picked up. Left a message describing what we were up against and asked if there was a fix.

The guy I spoke with when I ordered the tires and tubes a few weeks ago called me back in short order and after talking for a few minutes said what we needed were simple stem spacers (I think that's what he called them). Said he'd throw a few in an envelope and get em out to me tomorrow.

Offered to pay for them, he wouldn't hear it. Wouldn't even allow me to cover his postage cost. Said it was the least he could do and that he appreciated our business.

Guys like that deserve our business. I'll be back.

Thanks fellas for your input, I'll post up a pic of these sleeves when they arrive.

squonk

I have an RJ rim and the tube stem is small. Can you put the spacers in without tearing the tire off? Just painted everything and not going to take the tire off.

mels

Mike, that's where I'm at.  Just got the wheels back from powder coat, put the new tires and tubes on, and Viola!  That's when I saw the gap, lol.  I haven't inflated them yet.  Don't want to take the one bead back over the rim to give me more room to work with but I'll wait till these things come in and see what's gotta be done to get 'em installed.  Will let you know. 

Ken B

I'd strongly suggest filling the front tires with R/V anti freeze for extra weight up front. The nut roasters flip backwards REAL easy, ask me how I know....

• Like 1

buckrancher

you have to put the spacer on the valve stem before assembling the tire

Brian

• Like 1

mels

Way ahead of you with that one, Ken.  I have 10 or 15 gallons of Cryo-tek left from the last boiler job I did that needed glycol, and had planned on doing all four, but definitely the fronts.  Have to find my old adapter we used to use to fill the rears with calcium chloride, though it's probably long-gone rotted away lol.  Short wheel-base tractors can be deadly.  The old Fordsons and the Ford 8 and 9n's were notorious for that as either the drawn implements had their safety releases disabled or just weren't ever equipped.

Brian, I see where you're coming from however looking at these wheels it looks like there's enough room to fit fingers in there, pull the valve stem back, slip the sleeve over it and push it back through the hole.  By squeezing the sidewalls together on the opposite side of the tire, the tire will sit in the narrowest part of the rim which'll shift the tire off to the one side and give me even more space to work in.  We'll see, I'll let y'all know.  Sounds simple enough...    

buckrancher

worst case is you will have to demount one side of the tire to get your fingers in there

good luck

Brian

• Like 1

mels

Right on ;)

mels

Installed the spacers yesterday, easy as pie.  Did not need to do any more than squeeze the sidewall in with my tired hands which allowed the valvestem to pull back out of the valvestem hole in the wheel.  Once it cleared the hole in the wheel, I simply reached down in there, slipped the spacer over the valvestem and guided the valvestem back up and out the hole in the wheel.  Inflate to 40 psi and we're in fat city.

I wasn't able to take any pics of the process, will try to grab a couple of the finished product and put 'em in my build thread today or tomorrow. 

oliver2-44

@mels thanks for this thread. I just ran into this valve stem size problem with my suburban rims. You did a nice job of answering my questions