N3PUY

To restore or not .... GT-14

N3PUY

Went to yardsales as usual this weekend.  Was at one talking to the guy and my wife came over to me and said there was a Wheel Horse over by the garage.  So kinda jokingly I said to the owner "How much for the Wheel Horse".  (I hadn't even seen it)  He said "What Wheel Horse?".   I said "The one over by the garage."   Well, I came home with it.

I paid him and loaded the van.   It's not perfect.   He was replacing the engine.  The intake elbow is missing.  The rear axle is model #90-2046.  He has the correct rear hubs someplace.  I didn't see the PTO any place.  No seat.  He gave me all the extra parts in the pic.  A "K301S" with a gear on the shaft.  The 15" wheels.  A starter generator.  The carb and air filter are there. 

So .... should I fix it up?  Nothing is known about the replaced rear axle.  I'm leaning toward putting it back together.  If he has the hubs and I can find an intake elbow it will be well on the way to recovery.  I don't have much in it at this point.

Here's the pics.  I became a supporter today just to make it easier to share the photos.

post-6866-0-85033500-1406422499_thumb.jppost-6866-0-73436500-1406422502_thumb.jppost-6866-0-28328000-1406422506_thumb.jppost-6866-0-14350400-1406422509_thumb.jppost-6866-0-04532700-1406422512_thumb.jppost-6866-0-94384900-1406422516_thumb.jppost-6866-0-03282500-1406422521_thumb.jppost-6866-0-45857200-1406422525_thumb.jppost-6866-0-78331000-1406422529_thumb.jppost-6866-0-32235900-1406422534_thumb.jp

Thanks,

Joe

• Like 7

1maidenfan

Looks like a nice haul :woohoo:

Question though...do you always carry ramps with you :eusa-think:  :ychain:  :laughing-rofl:

N3PUY

Do I carry ramps all the time???????????  Yes, in the van but not in the Geo Metro!  The van has hauled a B80, Commando 800, 416-8, 520HC, GT1200, GT14, RanchKing, Husqvarna and a MTD. And a few others.

Edited by N3PUY
  • Like 9

Wheel-N-It

You got a GT-14 in a MiniVan???!!! OK, that does it! I'm dragging a Wheel Horse home from the big show 2015 in my Dodge Caravan. Jay, if you're reading this, be prepared to ride home on the roof rack next year! :scared-yipes:

• Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I took the Jeep to the big show. Next year the mini van. Wow!

Glenn

AMC RULES

Congrats, nice :wh: haul...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

welcome to the supporter group. 

oldredrider

Best yard sale pick ever! Fix it up and you will NEVER regret it. The GT-14 is a beast of a tractor.

Took me about 7 years (off and on) to get mine "right" and it is my "go to" tractor.

Congratulations!

• Like 2

jackhammer

You sir did not get hurt,, - bet you cant wait for next weeks ads on yard sales.

squonk

You got a GT-14 in a MiniVan???!!! OK, that does it! I'm dragging a Wheel Horse home from the big show 2015 in my Dodge Caravan. Jay, if you're reading this, be prepared to ride home on the roof rack next year! :scared-yipes:

What's gonna ride in the front seat??  :confusion-scratchheadblue:  :confusion-scratchheadblue:  :)    Since (sents, cents)  :)  you're making plans for next year, I think you better pick out a different place to stay!  :laughing-rolling:  :ROTF:  :teasing-poke:

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-bravo:  I wish I could find a yard sale like that; and a wife who would point out an unseen :wh: !

There are quite a few ebay listings for GT-14 parts right now, you could probably fill out your wish list.   :text-coolphotos: 

N3PUY

OK.......... noone has asked ... maybe it's just polite not to ask ... or forum etiquite ... but it's always something I like to know .... kinda like watching Antique Road Show. 

"HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR IT?".    $20.    Actually ..... I've gotten more comments on the Mini van than I did the Wheel Horse!  :) 

• Like 1

MalMac

Boy don't I feel foolish using a F350 four door long bed and a 16ft trailer and spending $$$$ on diesel fuel. Ya making look bad here. Oh yeah nice find. Looks in good shape.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

What's gonna ride in the front seat??  :confusion-scratchheadblue:  :confusion-scratchheadblue:  :)    Since (sents, cents)  :)  you're making plans for next year, I think you better pick out a different place to stay!  :laughing-rolling:  :ROTF:  :teasing-poke:

Gotta have my essencial stuff in the front seat Mike! LOL Also Jay and I are thinking we may camp there next year so we will have more money to spend on Wheel Horse parts and pieces.

EDIT,   NP3PUY how much was all that good stuff ???

Edited by Wheel-N-It

N3PUY

Gotta have my essencial stuff in the front seat Mike! LOL Also Jay and I are thinking we may camp there next year so we will have more money to spend on Wheel Horse parts and pieces.

EDIT,   NP3PUY how much was all that good stuff ???

I thought you'ld never ask !    $20.

• Like 3

papaglide

Awesome way to pick up a Horse! I never thought about doing that. Greta job!

km3h

That's a great find. I have been looking for a GT14 for a few years but down here they are scarce and expensive.

Wheel-N-It

I read that and thought you were kidding!!! Best $20dollar Wheel Horse I've ever seen!

• Like 1

312Hydro

For $20 I'd have disassembled it and brought it home in a Geo Metro! :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

SousaKerry

Been there one that, hauled home my Lawn Ranger in the ol' minivan

post-4531-0-25124400-1406565144_thumb.jp

• Like 1

N3PUY

Well, I got a little more done. Only about another 99 hours of restore to go! I got the air filter and intake ready thanks to "HORSE JUNKIE". And I test fit the headlights. I made the lens.
Here's the all important pics!

post-6866-0-26435100-1409786786_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-39065000-1409786788_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-12486900-1409786793_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-22976300-1409786796_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-71813200-1409786798_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-17994100-1409786801_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-71193600-1409786803_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-69631900-1409786783_thumb.jp

Edited by N3PUY
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

Nice looking GT-14!

About the ramps in the van....It is always good to be prepared!

The headlight lense is still available from TORO....$40....I just bought 4 last week!

N3PUY

Been there one that, hauled home my Lawn Ranger in the ol' minivan

Can you guess how I got this $100.00 520-HC home?

post-6866-0-91526900-1409787466_thumb.jp

YEP! Good ol' minivan. It was a tight fit.

post-6866-0-24703400-1409787504_thumb.jp

Edited by N3PUY
  • Like 3

N3PUY

Nice looking GT-14!

About the ramps in the van....It is always good to be prepared!

The headlight lense is still available from TORO....$40....I just bought 4 last week!

I cleaned the housing and made the lens .... total "$0.00".

Total invested in tractor so far is $65.00. I had to buy some bushings and a belt and ignition switch.

BUT... I sold an extra part for $14 so invested is now only $51.

Edited by N3PUY
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

That's just crazy talk...   :eusa-doh: 

who ever heard of a $100  :wh: 520-HC?   :) 

• Like 1

stevebo

I will answer your original question here. IMO you have a solid start of a tractor. I am not big on "restoring" tractors that have a nice patina. If I am seeing this correctly your tractor looks to have already been repainted once. That coupled with the fact that you need to reassemble it some I would take my time and give it a proper restore including all new paint. Good luck with it. Nice find.