Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AETD

B&S up and down in revs?

5 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me what is the problem when the engine runs like this.

(my neighbours murray with 12Hp B&S)

with lever low the enige runs smooth.

with lever high the revs starts to go up and down.

i allready cleaned the carb

te right arm (governor?) is pushing the throttle up and down.

youtube vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaJssLyJMJw&feature=plcp

Have you tried adjusting the main jet needle? It's the one that points straight down out of the bottom of the float bowl nut.

Jep i did, when i turn that open (now it is about 1 and 1/2 turn open) from 2 it starts shooting flames true the exhaust when rev up and back to idle. ;-)

spark plug have the right color so i think mixture is good.

when i hold the arm i can feel it pushing.when u put a small screwdriver inbitween, it runs normal... I'm starthing to think the governor have a problem.

no wthe engine have not enough revs/power to mow.

riding is just possible but it's like riding a camel. (lol)

Governor spring needs replaced is a common cause of that.

New governor spring did the job.

thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• 417A - full of GUNK
      By Kegler
      Acquired locally a 417A with a bunch (3000+) hrs on the meter, but a jump got it running and for $200 I drove it  home. Came with a blade too.    Thought the price was right considering it had a 48" deck mounted that looks to be in much better shape than the rest of the tractor. As I said I did drive it the few blocks home with an occasional pop or crack from the motor that I attributed to possibly a sticking valve or even just some old gas. Parked it and tossed a tarp half over it until I could get a chance to work on it, which turned out to be longer than expected. Anyway, to the problem, I went out a couple of days ago and put a charger on it for a while and tried to start it and it turned over about a quarter turn and locked up, so I pulled the spark plugs and tried the starter again and the worst looking junk I had ever seen in a motor came squirting out of the plug holes. Whats up with that? How would a motor fill up with GUNK, even setting outside? Shot a bunch of PB Blaster in both plug holes to try to loosen up any rust or junk in the cylinders but would like to figure out where it got into the cylinders, in the first place, before I go any further with trying to save it. Motor appears to have all the tin, air cleaner and muffler on it.
    • WANTED: Working Kohler K181
      By mr_speegs
      I'm looking for a working Kohler K181 of any variant that has good compression and little/no smoking on start up. I do not necessarily need a carb, generator, or fuel tank.
      Cosmetics are not a consideration.

I would be interested in picking up the engine at the PA show in June (or any other reasonable or local arrangement).
      Please PM me with any pictures/video and your asking price. Evidence of good compression/no smoke would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Tim

• C121 will not crank
      By kcuttuck
      My 1978 C121 will not start. It will not crank over. The voltage at the battery post on the key switch is 12.3 volts. When I turn the key to the run position the voltage at the battery post on the key switch drops off.

I tested the clutch switch. good
      Replaced the key switch.
      Seat switch is bypassed. 

I am suspecting the PTO interlock switch but I have no idea how it works and how to test it. I am very mechanically inclined but I have never seen a switch like that before. 

Help Please.

Matt

• Onan 20HP for 520 HC (1989)
      By Paul_Aussie
      Hi All,  New to the forum - from Australia and looking for an Onan 20HP for my Wheel Horse 520 HC - I'm not that good a swimmer so someone would need to be prepared to go through the hassle of sending this engine to me in Australia - and to be honest I have no idea of the amount of work/effort that would take from your end there.  I am after an engine that is is good to great working condition too please.  All help/assistance would be appreciated.  I have had my 520 for 14 years and it is a lot like me - looks terrible, old and beaten up but still works great (it doesn't look at all like the ones on the site here - they are like new!!!! congratulations to you all).  i have maintained and had the 520 serviced twice per year (minimum) but just two weeks ago it blew up - short blocks need to be re-chromed so my mechanic tells me (I am not mechanically skilled at all, I may have the explanation mucked up a little/lot!!)  thanks in advance - Paul from Warragul Australia!
    • Cross Reference
      By Schmendrickthemagnificent
      Greetings, I acquired and 1967 wheel horse 657 ... the engine on the thing is a Tecumseh with a Craftsman (very odd and not original I guess lol) mdoel number 143-546122 ... Having a really hard time figuring out the Tecumseh model number, cuz the craftsman site gives me the part list and what not, but most of which don't exist anymore, so wanted to try to find the Tecumseh parts instead of going the way of craftsman...  best I can figure out so far is its an H60 engine... THX