Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

B&S up and down in revs?

5 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me what is the problem when the engine runs like this.

(my neighbours murray with 12Hp B&S)

with lever low the enige runs smooth.

with lever high the revs starts to go up and down.

i allready cleaned the carb

te right arm (governor?) is pushing the throttle up and down.

youtube vid.

Have you tried adjusting the main jet needle? It's the one that points straight down out of the bottom of the float bowl nut.

Jep i did, when i turn that open (now it is about 1 and 1/2 turn open) from 2 it starts shooting flames true the exhaust when rev up and back to idle. ;-)

spark plug have the right color so i think mixture is good.

when i hold the arm i can feel it pushing.when u put a small screwdriver inbitween, it runs normal... I'm starthing to think the governor have a problem.

no wthe engine have not enough revs/power to mow.

riding is just possible but it's like riding a camel. (lol)

Governor spring needs replaced is a common cause of that.

New governor spring did the job.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• What Wheel Horse is this?
      By RedRidingHorse

I'm new to this site, so hopefully I'm posting this in the right spot.  My father past away late last year and left with us, among other things, his favorite Wheel Horse tractor.  It stopped working about a decade ago and has been sitting in the shed ever since, but it was always his dream to get it running again.  I don't really know much about tractors, but I have to say that it would be really neat to get it working again.  As you can see from the photos, it would need a lot of work.  My dad wanted to have it as a functioning tractor, so before he passed away he bought a newer engine to mount in it in order to get it working with the hopes of rebuilding the old engine eventually.  There's a guy who works on old tractors that we know who said he could install the newer motor (not the one in the picture) and get it functioning with the deck for about $400.  He said he could also rebuild the old engine eventually, but finding parts, etc., would take a bit of time.

I looked all over the tractor itself, but couldn't find a model or serial number.  Judging from the serial number on the engine and doing a Google search, it looks like it could be a 1961 Wheel Horse (maybe??).  

Here are my main questions: 
      Is this a hopeless project or could this be worth restoring? If it is worth it, should I be getting it sandblasted and repainted first?   Does sandblasting and repainting drastically increase/decrease the value (I'm not planning on selling it, but if I were to restore it, it would be nice to do it correctly--just in case one were to sell it eventually)?

• Wheel Horse 312-8 stalling out with snow blower
      By TKnop
      Hi Folks,  I just bought a used Wheelhorse 312-8 with a snowblower.   It runs great while the blower is not engaged.  When I engage the blower and sitting still, its fine.  It works with a few misses going slightly up hill.  When I go downhill or slightly down hill, it stalls out.  What's up with that?  Its so odd.
    • 854 barn find project
      By spitfire1
      Really excited about finding this great 854 last week. Planning on spending some time this fall getting her running nice and showing the K181 some love. Planning on restoring the old girl over the winter. I will post progress pictures here as I get the project under way.

• C 121 stalls, floods
      By kcuttuck
      My engine floods and stalls when I am on a hill mowing, leaning to the left and it is not much of an incline. Any ideas?
    • Kohler K301S 12hp problems
      By yzf450motoxrider
      I have a kohler 12hp engine in a 312A that's having issues. It will run with the choke on and throttle all the way up. If the choke is turned off it will die. After it warms up it will run without the choke on but only at the lowest throttle setting.
      Any suggestions?