Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wheeledhorseman

PTO clutch plate lining

13 posts in this topic

I need to replace the friction lining on the PTO of my C-100.

Can anyone tell me the original thickness of the lining when new?

I'm thinking of just bonding the new lining to the plate with epoxy rather than using rivets - is that ok?

Thanks

Andy

Andy,

I bonded one with JB Weld. Worked fine. I will check the thickness of a new clutch facing for you tomorrow and post it for you.

Marvin

I would tell you if I was at my shop, but I think Marvin has got you covered. I just rebiult my pto.

Matt

post-6076-0-92240200-1330733804.jpg

I just rebuilt my pto.

Matt

Where did you get the friction material?

I did'nt get just the friction material, I bought the clutch plate on :techie-ebay: for $60, I also replaced both bearings.

Matt

Why not buy a new clutch facing (PN 4365) and (6) new rivets (PN 6657) from Toro?...they are still available.

You might want to check the diameter of both PTO "bells"...I think the clutch facing w/rivet holes is smaller that the bonded facing?

Why not buy a new clutch facing (PN 4365) and (6) new rivets (PN 6657) from Toro?...they are still available.

You might want to check the diameter of both PTO "bells"...I think the clutch facing w/rivet holes is smaller that the bonded facing?

What year did they quit using the small bells, will they work well on a C series tractor ??

Chas

I bonded my last one, didn't completly trust it so I put I think four equally

spaced rivets. Worked fine and purchased it at my local bearing supply of all places.

they just had many different sizes, havent got a clue what for and it only cost me I think about six bucks

about five years ago. Shortly after that I was in a huge John Deere dealer and they had about a bazillion

clutch facings for whatever, so Deere must have a bunch of stuff with about the same facings.

Food for thought JIM in Texas

Say Bowtie, the replacement plate in the picture contacts the machined surface on my bell perfectly, but the original only contacted about 2/3's of the surface area. The new plate pictured is a toro replacement, I just think its an improved design with more holding power. :twocents-02cents:

Matt

HELLO GUYS, I JUST PUT A DISC ON A SPARE PLATE TODAY. I USED A 2 PART STRUCTURAL ADHESIVE AND CLAMPED IT. TOMORROW I WILL CHECK IT AND WILL ADD HOLLOW STEELL RIVITS. I WILL USE A DREMEL SANDING STONE IN A DRILL PRESS TO BORE THE DISC MATERIAL. THE RIVITS NEED TO BE COUNTER SUNK IN THE DISC MATERIAL. MY DISC MATERIAL IS .125 THICK AND I PLAN ON COUNTER SINKING AROUND .050-.060 DEEP. THIS IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT. I HAVE ONE SPARE DISC MATERIAL AND RIVITS IF ANYBODY IS INTERESTED. THANKS

BOWTIE IN OHIO

Andy,

I measured the clutch facing and it is .120 thick. This one is a new facing that uses rivets. The one I bonded originally had rivets.

Marvin

Thanks for that Marv :handgestures-thumbup:.

Being as everything is metric here in the UK I make that to be 3mm, just need to source some lining material next.

Good job I asked as I'd have guessed thicker than that - it appears that there was never much 'meat' on these from new.

That's useful information Frank :handgestures-thumbup: - slight issue in the UK is that you can order parts from Toro here but $ converts to £ on a one for one basis :angry: and if there's no stock in the UK you can wait weeks for the next shipment to arrive. :confusion-waiting:

I think I'll just bond the facing and use the PTO assembly itself to apply the necessary pressure - making sure of course that I dont get any adhesive on the wrong side! I think pretty much all automobile type applications use bonded linings these days.

Andy

I would tell you if I was at my shop, but I think Marvin has got you covered. I just rebiult my pto.

Matt

Check the thickness of the metal new plate, if it's not the same as the old one it will ware out the c-clips. Got one from Toro that was thinner had to put a thin shim behind the plate to fix it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0