Jump to content
John Voss

1973 12hp - Want to go Stock Pulling

Recommended Posts

I restored this tractor last year but now I am intersted in pulling. This tractor has the stock 12hp Kohlor and 8spd rear. I have Carlisle Super Lugs on it. I know I need a pulling hitch and wheelie bars. What else should I consider? Also will the transmission hold up the way it is considering its all stock? Do I need to put a stiffer clutch spring on it? Basically just need a baseline of everything I should consider to get it ready to go for this spring.

Thanks

post-6053-0-28408500-1326829464_thumb.jp

post-6053-0-10238700-1326829468_thumb.jp

post-6053-0-86664800-1326829477_thumb.jp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Find a local club, each one has slightly different rules for hitches and such. Standard tranny will do just fine for 12HP. Definatly put a stiffer spring on the clutch I have about 3 springs on mine takes everything the boy has got to push it down. Some clubs require kill switches and dead man throttles some do not in the lower classes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where can these heavier springs be found? All I can find is what seems to be the cub springs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My tractors are workers, not pullers. But I wanted to get as much tension on the Belt as I could. You can get a new stock Toro spring which is listed somewhere on this forum recently for about ten bucks. On one of my tractors I have another additional spring on the inside of that one.

I haven't looked at the local auto parts or hardware stores yet but that might be a source as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ebinmaine said:

My tractors are workers, not pullers. But I wanted to get as much tension on the Belt as I could. You can get a new stock Toro spring which is listed somewhere on this forum recently for about ten bucks. On one of my tractors I have another additional spring on the inside of that one.

I haven't looked at the local auto parts or hardware stores yet but that might be a source as well.

Same here.  My next days off might entail spring shopping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Slickbilly-D said:

Same here.  My next days off might entail spring shopping

Please keep me posted. I have to do the same thing as you. If I find anything I like I'll let you know.

I need two sets.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 8:00 PM, Slickbilly-D said:

Same here.  My next days off might entail spring shopping

 

' Bill I found this -

They're for sale online for under $10 give or take shipping.

 

 

And thanks to @TT for an old post from several years back.

Spring specs:

#108035 spring:

 

7 3/4" overall length

6" coil length

5/8" coil diameter - outside.

.110 / .112" wire diameter

 

(all measurements are "real close to" and not guaranteed to be exact :thumbs: )

 
 
 
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

 

' Bill I found this -

They're for sale online for under $10 give or take shipping.

 

 

And thanks to @TT for an old post from several years back.

Spring specs:

#108035 spring:

 

7 3/4" overall length

6" coil length

5/8" coil diameter - outside.

.110 / .112" wire diameter

 

(all measurements are "real close to" and not guaranteed to be exact :thumbs: )

 
 
 

Thanks! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×