WHGuy413

Nearly impaled

WHGuy413

So many of you have seen my trusty home built fire wood trailer that is made from an old oil tank. This custom creation was fabricated by my grandfather well before I was born. One day while using it to haul rocks in my yard I twisted around on the seat and reached back to dump it when the seat latch on my 12 automatic let go dumping me over backwards. Since I was twisting around at the time the right side of my rib cage came in contact with the dump lever that sticks straight up. I’m not what you could say is a small guy so when my full weight came down on that I thought I was dead. Thankfully the momentum of my body rolled me off of it before it could impale me. Nothing more than some bruised ribs, nasty bruises on my side and a hurt ego. I did lay on the ground for a few minutes trying to breath again. 

774DA89F-8F2F-4A38-8961-3A7957304CBE.jpeg

Edited by WHGuy413
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 12

ri702bill
19 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

Nothing more than some bruised ribs, nasty bruises on my side and a hurt ego. I did lay on the ground for a few minutes trying to breath again. 

Glad to hear you are ok. Years back, I was in the process of loading a 300 pound Ariens 24" Sno-Thro up into my truck using old wooden ramps. The left ramp snapped in half as the unit was almost all the way up.  I let go, but the handlebar knocked me over as it rolled to the side. There I am, on the ground looking up to see the Ariens caught on the edge of the bed !! Scurried like a crab sideways to get out from under it, then realized it hurt terribly to get up - twisted my lower back during the adventure, My wife opens the bathroom window and asks if i"m OK while I am admiring the blue sky. I replied "I'm fine hun, could you bring me a cold beer ??" Then she knew I was "OK"....

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

The Freightliner Guy

Can I see more pics of that trailer I might make one like that for my rj59

• Like 2

WHGuy413
23 minutes ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

I can get more pictures next time I have it out. It is too big for an rj. The little 753 it’s hooked up to does good with smaller loads of wood and rocks but to heavily load it I have to tow it behind a bigger tractor like my bronco 14. When it’s loaded heavy it will push a round hood right out of the way.

• Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy

Than I’ll probably make a mini version of it

ri702bill
13 minutes ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

Than I’ll probably make a mini version of it

Like out of a half 15? gallon drum that automotive grease comes in ??

• Haha 1

The Freightliner Guy

I’m thinking of the size of those big plastic barrels that are like 3-4 ft tall but I’ll find one out of metal 

ri702bill
7 minutes ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

I’m thinking of the size of those big plastic barrels that are like 3-4 ft tall but I’ll find one out of metal 

Sounds like a wheelbarrow tub ....??

The Freightliner Guy

I’m going to make it out of a 55 or 30 gallon metal barrel cut in half basically 

• Like 2

sjoemie himself
2 hours ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

more pics of that trailer

I'll second that request.

@WHGuy413 good to read you're okay. Might want to add a round knob or rubber grip to that handle. Get well soon!

• Like 1

WHGuy413
20 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

@WHGuy413 good to read you're okay. Might want to add a round knob or rubber grip to that handle. Get well soon!

This was a number of years ago. I was bored at work and found this thread so thought to add my personal experience. Thankfully the end of the dump rod is rounded over. But wouldn’t be a bad idea to add something to it.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHGuy413

Once the monsoon leaves us I will venture out and get pics of it. It’s currently up at the wood pile where the boys were using it last. 

• Thanks 2

WHGuy413
On 9/6/2022 at 12:52 PM, The Freightliner Guy said:

On 9/6/2022 at 3:36 PM, sjoemie himself said:

Here you guys go. The axle was some type of steer axle that my grandfather welded straight. Use what you have available. Don’t mind the mess it had some mud and wood in it. 

627D4D05-EE93-490B-9CA1-3B5484933AB7.jpeg

25954378-DA41-4258-9E81-895B88601C06.jpeg

A85C0176-7369-4715-A3CB-D5AF889F834C.jpeg

A07F64B0-F7B8-40EE-A948-77BFD646B479.jpeg

5163BF25-496C-45AB-B401-7A788CBAD2E5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The Freightliner Guy

Thanks sir

• Like 1

sjoemie himself

Thank you for sharing! Really cool but simple design, I like it :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WHGuy413
On 9/8/2022 at 3:12 AM, sjoemie himself said:

Thank you for sharing! Really cool but simple design, I like it :handgestures-thumbupright:

It is. It works great and is built to last! My dad believes it’s 40 plus years old. 

• Like 1