MilanWH

1985 K341S charge system questions

Jeff-C175

Is the label with the SPEC NUMBER still on that engine?  Maybe you posted that already?  I'll look...

MilanWH

DABFA816-423A-4A95-9016-7D0F4D4CDBA5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175

Thanks... I'll look that up later... just got the chow call... unless you get to it first.  Check the MANUALS section of the website.  I think there's a document there under the Kohler Engines section that explains what's what with the spec numbers.  It should tell you if that is the stator you actually want to use with that tractor.

MilanWH

I read somewhere that it has a 3 amp and 15 amp stator. 3 for charging the battery, 15 to run the headlights. Maybe I could wire in a regulator to charge the battery with the 15 amp circuit, and run a batt.+ wire to the headlight switch?

• Confused 1

pfrederi

The spec number is for a Wheel Horse but the stator is not original should have a 15 amp stator  Your engine is variant 9 for Ignition so you should have item# 7

stator.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
11 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

15 amp stator

The list calls both 7 and 9 15 Amp?

I thought the ones with fewer coils were lower output?

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

@MilanWH

I see it now!

As Paul said, you have the wrong stator.  The one you have does have two outputs!  And I believe that being grounded is correct for that stator ONLY!  You can't use that stator with the regulator I posted earlier.  Models that used that stator did not use a regulator at all AFAIK. just a single diode.

Edited by Jeff-C175

MilanWH

Great, so the stator being grounded is correct. Is there a regulator that I can use with this stator? It would be great if I could get the battery charging with what I have instead of replacing this stator.

953 nut
1 hour ago, MilanWH said:

Maybe I could wire in a regulator to charge the battery with the 15 amp circuit,

I like the way you think, unfortunately it won't be much help. A rectifier passes the positive portion of the alternating current and rejects the negative parts of the sign wave. as a result you will only receive about 40% of the power that was available as AC power, perhaps six amps.

Time for a 15 amp stator.

• Like 1

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

for about $30 take a chance on an after market 15 amp stator or a used one...

• Like 1

MilanWH

Wow, amazing. I just checked Amazon and there are a bunch of 15 amp stators with regulator available. Are these aftermkt kits reliable? Can you still get OEM stators from Kohler?

953 nut

If it has good feedback ratings I wouldn't be afraid to buy it.

• Like 2

Snoopy11
15 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Models that used that stator did not use a regulator at all AFAIK. just a single diode

Yeah... and if the stator is proven GOOD... there you CAN put a diode inline of the battery +lead coming from the stator and use it like it is.

For a 30$ investment... while you have the flywheel off... it might be worthy to go ahead and throw a 15 amp stator with regulator on it... as others here have stated.

I possibly plan to swap my K341's 3 amp stator to a 15 amp stator in the future so I can easily run LED lights... etc...

Don

MilanWH

Well, I bought a stator/regulator combo on Amazon for $35. After an afternoon with a Dremel, to get it to fit the k341, it works great! It now charges fine, even if I turn on the lights. I'm loving this tractor! Now I need a good mower deck and the hard part, deciding what to do with my 416-8. The 520 is just more comfortable. May just have to keep both.... this forum makes me feel normal, my family thinks I'm crazy!

• Excellent 4

Handy Don
12 hours ago, MilanWH said:

this forum makes me feel normal, my family thinks I'm crazy

Yes and yes.

• Like 1