Heatingman

Lift lever handle removal

Heatingman

Whats a good way to remove the plastic/rubber handle without damage?

0AABDFE8-52A8-4654-8BFF-A55AF45DA5B1.jpeg

gwest_ca

You can heat it up a bit.

Slip an adjustable wrench over the metal tube and use it to push the grip off. As pressure is applied to the grip it tends to get bigger in diameter which helps.

• Like 1

peter lena

@Heatingman   how about  a wet towel  , like a face cloth  water wet  , wrung out,  in a microwave  to get a soaking hot wrap  ? then a pipe strap wrench , for the breaking twist , pete

Heatingman
37 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Heatingman   how about  a wet towel  , like a face cloth  water wet  , wrung out,  in a microwave  to get a soaking hot wrap  ? then a pipe strap wrench , for the breaking twist , pete

I do have a strap wrench if thats the ticket. I’ll try that.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Easy..Peasy.  Fit a crescent wrench just over the steel tube, below the rubber grip.  Lightly tap the crescent wrench up against the grip...it'll slide off easily without damage.

• Like 4

Kenneth R Cluley

We use WD-40 on bicycle handlebar grips. Slide the "straw" up inside, spray, should come off easy. Clean up with alcohol, spray inside and handle with clear and slide on handle while still wet. will dry and not slide around or off. 

• Like 3

peter lena

@Heatingman  ever get that grip off ?  , were you going to do  other , issues with that lever ?  there are a number of corrosive  drag points to that set up , aerosol  lubricant  straw will get the rust running out , lucas or  crc red spray grease , will easily follow the lighter lube into the rusty zone , but will stay there . on every  lever / linkage set up , there is the  dysfunctional spot , that hangs  up  and make the rest of it , struggle . once I  started correcting those spots , I  made that my baseline go to , for easy / smooth working levers/ linkage . my pto lever set up was a typical sloppy arrangement , broke it down for every stage issue,  key improvements , lubrication , washers firming up , next movement point , adjusting as I  went , removed trunnion , changed to heim joint , detail every step / stage . today , still marvel at how easily  those areas can work, just got thru cutting , no screaming , whining , bearings pto lever works effortlessly , no pto clutch burning , just my 2 cents ,  go detailing , pete     

• Like 1

Heatingman

@peter lena Yes. I just got it off now. Got side tracked yesterday with sandblasting other parts.

That hammer on a adjustable wrench trick worked like a charm. First blow it moved.

C61A5FD2-CC7B-4556-8AC6-3E4BB6D69B6F.jpeg

• Like 3