gapper

520H Eaton 1100 Air in system???

gapper

Hello and thanks for any help you can give!!

I have a 520H eaton 1100 trans. I don't know what year it is from. I purchased it and the frame to replace the bad frame on my 312 Hydro. Long story short, I ended up using the trans as well as the frame. THE PROBLEM: I changed the oil and filter in the trans and run to made sure everything worked as it should. Rechecked the fluid level and it was fine. I let the tractor sit a few days (3) and went back to find oil leaking from the dipstick tube where it screws into the trans. I know the fluid should not be that full to leak from there so I pulled the dipstick and found the level to be about 1/3 the way up the dipstick tube. I was told there is air in my system and I need to follow the steps on how to bleed it. Is that what my problem is? I don't have a manual and I am having trouble finding the steps to bleed the system. I found manuals in the manual section but can't find info on bleeding the hydro system. Can anyone tell me how this is done or send me the actual step by step on how to do it if in fact that is what i need to do. Thank you all for your time and any help and knowledge you can give me. Rick

• Like 1

lynnmor

There is no bleeding procedure, just run it and exercise the lift, also run it in forward and reverse.  Check the oil level after it sits a few minutes.  Know that the 1100 may push oil up the dipstick tube at random times, possibly from changing temperatures. 

• Like 2

Handy Don

:text-yeahthat:

Very unlikely, but be sure that handle of the trans dipstick is not kinked or crushed. Above the cap, the handle is a hollow tube that vents the transaxle.

Also, you did use the correct filter on the trans, right? The trans filter and the engine filter are NOT the same.

The preferred transmission filter for all models is a Wix 51410 or NAPA 1410 (because it does not have a by-pass valve)

The engine filter I use is NAPA Gold 1762 

• Like 1

JoeM

Had a couple do that same thing after an oil change. I believe I had them to full. I would fill the trans and run it then if it was not up to the full mark I would add more.

I think what happens is the pump is the highest point in the system. Overnight, oil would drain out of the the pump housing back into the gearcase and be over full or running out of the dipstick vent. Especially on a trans with a few hours that is not as tight as new. Meaning a slight seal leak or o-ring would allow air to enter the pump housing. 

The charge pump fills the hydro pump and excess oil runs through the output bearing over the gears back into the case.

When I fill them now I fill to the add mark on the dipstick run them and then recheck in the am. Top off the full mark.

The charge pump gets its oil from the bottom of the gearcase, the gearcase would have to be completely drained to run it dry.

Check it cold before start up and if on the full mark good to go. 

• Like 2

gapper

I thank everyone for the help. I used the toro/wheelhorse trans filter that was called out on the toro web site. The vent tube (dipstick) is open and venting as it should. How many quarts of oil does the trans take when changing oil and filter? Is it a problem if the oil leaks down over a few days or is this going to be a problem in the long term? I ran it today and checked the level after running a few minutes and it was good again. 

• Like 1

JoeM
9 hours ago, gapper said:

How many quarts of oil does the trans take when changing oil and filter

about 4, no exact science.

Always go by the dipstick reading. 

• Like 2

gapper

Thank you, I did end up putting 4 in and it came to the full line.

• Like 2

kpinnc

If you roll the tractor around in your shed/ shop, the Eatons will sometimes "burp" through the dipstick tube. 

When filling the tranny, the oil takes forever to drain through the tube unless you find another way to vent the transaxle. Some have used a little tube down in the funnel, and some temove one of the top bolts that hold the seat bracket on. Just be careful going that route because grime can get into the transmission.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, kpinnc said:

filling the tranny,

:ROTF:

• Haha 1