Dans 414-8

Drive Belt Squeal.. 414 8

Dans 414-8

Hi    !!      new to me both my 414 8 and this site

thanks  for having this site!

I just got a 414-8  when sitting lots of gear lube came out the guy that sold me it told me ahead of time. 

Easy  to see the brake seal was leaking  bad   so I took it our and ordered a new one

However  when I test drove  my new to me 414 8 the  belt  to the transmission squealed a lot  it did quiet down but I 

like to ask  IF their is a adjustment to  tighten it up I took the side cover off but do not see any

the belt really looks ok .. I think the gear lube that was leaking when he had it might of gotten on the belt 

So not sure what to do  I like to ask you what you would do to correct this problem 

also I like to add... their is a snow plow on it and that's the reason I bought it  I  do not plan on using the grass deck 

Its missing a blade and bearing assembly anyways but want to use the wheels for the snow plow because  I don't have cement or

or asphalt in my parking lot just lots of rocks and dips ..thank-you ..daniel aka dans414-8

peter lena

@Dans 414-8  , ever lube the related clutch linkage ? aside from a grease fitting , use an aerosol penetrating oil , at every point to make the rust run out, then I  use an aerosol red grease  with a spray tube to get into all those used to be rusty spots . would also recommend , to firm up the connection points with a few washers to remove the play and enhance linkage control . that squealing belt  , sounds  like rusty / sticking linkage to me . give me a shout back , have some tune up tips for that snow plow set up , should function with total ease , pete   

• Excellent 1

Dans 414-8

Thanks I'll send some pictures its really clean no rust , if you grab the belt theirs around 1 1/4 or so of slack maybe be less  but, 

how much slack with foot off  pedal should their be? thanks  ...daniel aka dans414-8

wallfish

:WRS:

Belt squeal can be caused by a few things.

The wrong belt. It should be a cloth covered belt and not all rubber. Wrong size belt

Check the idler pulley that tensions the belt. If it's stuck or very hard to turn the belt will squeal passing through it

Not enough spring tension. The spring that applies tension for the belt is on the opposite side connected at the linkage near where the brake band is

Gear oil on the belt can be a problem.

Look for evidence of "belt dust" caused from the belt slipping in a pulley groove. The belt will wear and therefore leave dust in that area. If present, it will help indicate where the belt friction is causing the squeal.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Dans 414-8

Hello Again!  

Thanks for the info..

I want to replace the belt  all looks fine   grease pulley is  free etc.

My understanding is the original belt was a 7473  81.9  x  5/8

Napa has a 5L820W    belt that is 82.01 x 5/8  

then they have  next size down   81.x 5x8  not sure of number parts guy told me the length only

So  do you think the above 5L820W is the one  or??

again! thanks for the   info....daniel aka dans414-8

wallfish

An 82" belt to replace a 81.9 should be perfectly fine. IDK them by part numbers to specific tractors to verify your findings

Many here will swear by OEM belts but I've never had any issues using Kevlar belts by other makers.

• Like 1

Dans 414-8

Thank-you  I know they are what napa call the green belts with cloth or some material wrapped for  mowers thank-you daniel aka dans414-8

wallfish

The green belts are good.

Please let us know how everything works out

Dans 414-8

20220831_090844.jpg.ff791870db7ba92e2e63e2cca4e8513a.jpg20220831_090815.jpg.970c92aff2b2a993f195c08fd58fcbb9.jpg

Good morning  had Napa sent the belt  today

while I did, I noticed the back  idler pully and transmission drive input pully had a lot of burnt  build up

so I sanded and wire brushed them , then I put on the napa  belt  what a deference as far as play up and down

The guy I bought it told me he had used it to push alot of stone gravel etc   It must of heat stretched alot.

All that need done now is today the mailman in bringing  oil seal   behind the brake shaft.

then some paint and seat repair...

again Thanks guys for the help along the way.. daniel aka dans414-8

peter lena

@Dans 414-8  dan , notice the idler pulley area , get lubricant into related shaft mount areas , often neglected / rusty , prohibits  spring tension follow , notice the lift lever end point on the cross rod , with snap on end clip? lubricate that also , does that idler pulley spin freely / easily by itself ?  pete

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Dans 414-8 said:

The guy I bought it told me he had used it to push alot of stone gravel etc   It must of heat stretched alot.

Actually, belts don't stretch (they have the same internal cords as car tires). Really.

Over time the sides wear down so they get thinner and drop down deeper into the pulley grooves so they appear to be longer! :)

The fabric on the outside is usually Kevlar (or similar) and it has two jobs:

1) allow the clutch mechanism to deliver a smooth starts (plain rubber sides will grab quickly), and

2) extend the life of the belt by lasting longer than plain rubber sides.

Edited by Handy Don

Dans 414-8

HI guys thanks for the responses  yes I lubed that area with Lucas  gun oil  found that its the best  so far    I been using

Makes sense that the belt wears and goes in lots  most likely why I had a lot  of burnt type of material  in between the pullys

Just  got done  putting in  the brake shaft seal 100441  SO FAR NO leaks   Ill keep checking for proper level once the fluid settles

going to ask a question in the motor part about fuel filter  

again thank-you daniel aka dans414-8

• Like 1