Sign in to follow this  
Torino

Run away horse

Torino

When I move the hydro lever to about half the tractor slowly builds speed and takes off and tries to go a full speed. It seems that the lever is moving on it's own.

TT

Welcome to the early design years of the Sundstrand hydro DCL (direction control lever) on Wheel Horse tractors! :thumbs2:

First you'll need to study this:

hydroadj.jpg

Then you'll need to check the tab on the end of the pivot pin (bolted to the outside of the hoodstand - left side) through the DCL assembly and make sure it's still welded to the end of the pivot pin. If it's broke loose, the entire pin and DCL assembly will turn together rendering the friction cone totally useless and the DCL will not hold position.

• Like 1

Torino

Thanks, TT that's what I was looking for.

Torino

I'm a little confused. When I looked at it the lock nut it was loose, so I though that might be my problem so I tightened it. Once I did that the control lever would not move. The lever only moves when the nut is loose. So, is the lock nut suppose to be lose or has someone tightened the friction way to tight?

Looks like if it was loose it would not be a lock nut? When the lock nut is loose is the collar friction adjustment suppose to be hard to move? Do you use vice grips on it?

kpinnc

The part under the "friction collar" is conical shaped. Adding pressure at the lock nut drives the cone farther into the locking collar, producing friction.

Without seeing it myself, I could only guess that when you move the DCL, you're moving the entire assembly, as opposed to the center shaft staying in one position. Most likely as a result of rust forming under the locking collar, or on the pivot shaft itself.

If you can't adjust it out, it may be necessary to take the DCL apart, clean it up, and put it all back together. That is exactly what cured mine of a similar problem.

Good luck!

Kevin

Torino

So, if it is working normal how hard should it be to move the friction adjustment?

Sarge

The lever should have at least enough tension to prevent vibration from moving it. I'd say at least 1-2lbs force at the handle is more than enough. Like posted above, check really close and make sure the shaft isn't broke loose from the bolted tab on the outside of the hoodstand, opposite the direction control lever (dcl). This is really common for the welded "tab" to break off due to rust in the linkage. Most times you can remove the assembly, re-weld the tab to the shaft , clean up the parts and reassemble. Look closely at the parts drawing for that model and note if any bushings are worn out or as most cases are missing . These parts make a big difference in how well it works .

Just restored a '68 Charger 12 and had to rebuild the entire assembly for the same issue-mind of it's own!

Sarge

Torino

Wow, four years.  How time flies.  I am finally getting back to trying to fix this.  Here is a vid of the DCL working. Can you tell anything from watching it.  The tractor is also lurching while in motion.  I don't know if the two problems have anything to do with one another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnepxAzBn58

Torino

Here a pic I forgot to ad.

post-171-0-75843100-1370678914.jpg

Torino

How hard should it be to move the friction adjustment?  I can barely move it.  Is this the part that could be rusted?

post-171-0-25325900-1370993347.jpg