T-Mo

1957 Ford 640

T-Mo

I went and look at this 1957 Ford 640.  The hood is from a 601 Workmaster (1957 to 1962), but the serial number makes it a 1957 640.  I have known the seller for a few years, so I do believe him when he tells me it ran when he got it, but the key switch (which someone over the years replaced it with a push/pull switch) is bad.  The PTO seal must be leaking (a lot of oil build up around it), plus the bearing probably needs to be replaced.  The steering box seems to be leaking.  He has the rest of the hood, and from what I gather it comes with a post hole digger.

Anyways, it would make a fine addition to my two other Fords, a 1944 2N and a 1948 8N.

IMG_2315.jpeg

IMG_2316.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

Looks like decent sneakers and a handy dandy front bumper with hitch. 

Do you live in an area that allows practice usage of the post hole digger? (We couldn't use one here). 

How do the known needed repairs appear to be as far as difficulty?

• Like 1

T-Mo

I haven't dwelled in any steering box fixes, but I have replaced the pto seal on my 2N, and this will be the same.  When replacing the seal, the bearing is right there also, so no big deal.  The key switch I can buy from several different places and is an easy $10 fix.  It does need the breather tube from the carb to the oil bath cleaner and that's around $38 or so.  I am concerned about water getting into the carb without that tube, but I don't think it can.  The hood can stay as is, and if I ever want to paint it, the hood should be light gray like the fenders on the 600 series (Workmasters had the red hoods with light gray grilles).  The medallion on the grille is correct as it has the "600" series on it.  A Workmaster will have "601" on the medallion.

For most digging operations, I would have to call Missouri One Call to have them come out and mark where things are at, but I know where all the lines are buried at.  But I probably would call them anyways.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

For most digging operations, I would have to call Missouri One Call to have them come out and mark where things are at, but I know where all the lines are buried at.  But I probably would call them anyways

Oh I hadn't even considered the legal end...

Here in Maine we have Digsafe as in many other states and also an information phone number and website serviced by the State. 

We can do whatever we need given the green light by them. 

What I was thinking is that because we have such a rocky ground. Base we couldn't use a post hole digger here... Anywhere on this mountain side at least.  

• Like 2

T-Mo

Missouri does have a lot of rocky ground, but on my property I can dig without any trouble in one spot, move 2 feet and hit solid rock.  Tree roots would also be a hindrance.

• Like 3

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, T-Mo said:

But I probably would call them anyways.

Here in NC you must call for locates of utilities. I believe they have stepped it up to criminal liability if you hit something without a good locate ticket. 
If they come and mark utilities you may only hand dig with a shovel within 2 feet of the mark. Better safe than sorry…

I have been at locations at work where crews were digging around fiber optics and the rep from the company said if the line got damaged it would shut down the internet from Florida to DC.

squonk
56 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Here in NC you must call for locates of utilities. I believe they have stepped it up to criminal liability if you hit something without a good locate ticket. 
If they come and mark utilities you may only hand dig with a shovel within 2 feet of the mark. Better safe than sorry…

I have been at locations at work where crews were digging around fiber optics and the rep from the company said if the line got damaged it would shut down the internet from Florida to DC.

One of my customers when I was working in Auto Parts hit a fiber line.  It knocked out half of Central NY.

Then when I was at the hospital, contractors hit a gas main. There was a large Air Handler intake pulling some serious CFM into the building right above the break. Talk about a fire drill! :shock: :shock: :shock:

• Like 1

Handy Don
9 hours ago, squonk said:

Then when I was at the hospital, contractors hit a gas main. There was a large Air Handler intake pulling some serious CFM into the building right above the break. Talk about a fire drill! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Only thing more dangerous than an apprentice with a sawzall is an "I got this" operator on a backhoe!

• Like 1

6wheeler

Well? I feel like an Idiot. I sat here looking at these pics. Saying to myself? "What Is wrong here"? That gap shouldn't be there in front of the dash tower. Just realized. The center section is missing. Wow. Guess I was just mesmerized by the tractor. I really want a Powermaster. But? I really want a 9600 too. But? I have to be realistic. The sheds are only so big. That is a nice tractor to be restored. Did the 640 have the Red Dragon engine as well? {That I don't know). The 601 had the set forward headlights to like the 640's But? in the powermasters? they moved them to the rear of the hood. I think it was to see a front mounted cultivator. Maybe a loader. Either way? Nice tractor.

T-Mo

A PowerMaster would be nice, but I would prefer the 801 series (even a 800 series) to the 900 or 901 series.  I wouldn't turn down a 960 or 961 though.  The extra horses on the 172 engines can't be ignored on the 800, 801, 900, 901 series.

The wiring on this 640 is pretty bad, the previous owners took a lot of liberty on their "fixes", i.e the air breather cup on the bottom was at a weird angle, turns out the front clamp couldn't be open all the way due to the relay being in the way.  I got the cup and clamp situated right, but the relay will eventually have to be moved.

Horse Newbie
On 8/28/2022 at 9:09 PM, Handy Don said:

Only thing more dangerous than an apprentice with a sawzall

That’s funny… I was probably in my early 20’s working as an apprentice at an HVAC company, installing gas piping in a residence.

Back then all the gas piping was black steel pipe… no bends, just elbows, tee’s and such…

Well we had to run the pipe over the 2 car garage with an unsupported ceiling.

Part of the structural framing over the garage had a “ pig trough” spanning the distance. Now even as an apprentice I had a funny feeling that the “ pig trough” could not be notched. So I called out to the plumber- who was supposed to know what he was doing to come look at it.

He said “ cut it “, I said you may want to come look at this…

He said “cut it”…

I said you might want to come look at this before I notch it…

He said “I said cut it !”

Guess who got in trouble, getting yelled at by the builder, our company owner, and the engineer who drew the plans ?

Hint- it wasn’t the lowly apprentice !

:hilarious: