Johnner

416-8 PTO engage

Johnner

When I engage the PTO partial for mower, the engine stalls. What would cause this ? 

Johnner

When I engage the PTO partial for mower, the engine stalls. What would cause this ? 

ineedanother

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Safety switch on your seat most likely...

• Like 2

Johnner

I will cut those and try it. 

ineedanother
1 minute ago, Johnner said:

I will cut those and try it. 

Negative, the switch needs to be closed. You can jumper them to bypass the switch temporarily to see if that's in fact the issue.

• Like 1

Sparky

Safety switch probably. I would suspect the seat switch 

• Like 2

8ntruck

If the engine shuts off, it is likely the safety switch.  If the engine loads up and then stalls, that is a mechanical issue with whatever is hooked up to the PTO.

Edited by 8ntruck

gwest_ca

What is your tractor model and serial number?

Three different ignition systems used on the 416-8. Battery, magneto and back to battery. Wiring is different for each.

Johnner

I cut,capped and taped the seat safety wires. It is working great. 
Thank you all. 

• Like 2

23 Reo

Good work you've found the problem. When you get a chance install a new seat safety switch.  It will keep you safe  by shutting off the engine if you fall off the tractor with the PTO on.

TheMooseIsLoose
On 8/27/2022 at 3:20 PM, ineedanother said:

Negative, the switch needs to be closed. You can jumper them to bypass the switch temporarily to see if that's in fact the issue.

If you disconnect the wires to the switch will it work

ineedanother
56 minutes ago, TheMooseIsLoose said:

If you disconnect the wires to the switch will it work

No, that would be the same as getting off of the seat which opens the circuit. Sitting on the seat closes the circuit through the safety switch so power can flow. 

• Like 1

TheMooseIsLoose
53 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

No, that would be the same as getting off of the seat which opens the circuit. Sitting on the seat closes the circuit through the safety switch so power can flow. 

to test it would you jump from one side to the other, there are 3 connections

20220910_121301.jpg.8128a1e64eb3bfa93b792e00c6843c6a.jpg

TheMooseIsLoose

it this case yellow to brown wire, other is empty

ineedanother

Is this your switch?

TheMooseIsLoose
1 hour ago, ineedanother said:

Is this your switch?

TheMooseIsLoose

yes, originally 111332

ineedanother

TheMooseIsLoose

Yes, that is the switch, but i don't think that's the problem. It's been disconnected for a while & never had trouble with it., The motor dies when PTO is engaged but I can start tractor and not be in the seat. It worked fine until I took seat pan off to install new fuel line, remove mower deck to grease & change belt & sharpen blades

ineedanother
1 hour ago, TheMooseIsLoose said:

Yes, that is the switch, but i don't think that's the problem. It's been disconnected for a while & never had trouble with it., The motor dies when PTO is engaged but I can start tractor and not be in the seat. It worked fine until I took seat pan off to install new fuel line, remove mower deck to grease & change belt & sharpen blades

Unplugging that switch is like getting off the seat so it shouldn't have been that simple. Why was is unplugged? Have you tested the switch or tried just plugging it back in? Do you have a multi-meter? You should have continuity between the two spades on the switch when it is depressed.

TheMooseIsLoose
1 hour ago, ineedanother said:

Unplugging that switch is like getting off the seat so it shouldn't have been that simple. Why was is unplugged? Have you tested the switch or tried just plugging it back in? Do you have a multi-meter? You should have continuity between the two spades on the switch when it is depressed.

Yes, i unplugged it years ago. The picture I added above shows the mating connector in the seat pan which is a push button type which will contact the seat when depressed but the push button is broken. So if I can start it with it unplugged why wont the PTO work. Its been working right along. Sorry about the confusion.

Edited by TheMooseIsLoose

ineedanother

Yep, a bit confusing because without that safety switch, you shouldn't be able to engage the PTO unless the wiring had been modified (by jumping the connector or wiring) which it sounds like you didn't do. A short piece of wire with male spate connectors on each end would work to test it. Those two wires need to be in contact as if you're sitting on the seat or depressing the push button on a working switch. 

TheMooseIsLoose

All fixed, I replaced the seat switch.

• Like 2

peter lena

@TheMooseIsLoose  take advantage of that recent , safety switch experience , and ENHANCE / IMPROVE the other similar hook ups . thats your opportunity , stop a problem and improve it at the same time . electrical / related problems , use a WIRE/ CABLE WRAP , along with a wire routing change , enhance grounding , eliminate  tight / chafing / corroded , connections . make that problem go away , pete