davem1111

I'm an idiot :-) - broken rib

davem1111

So.... about 2-1/2 weeks ago I was chasing our small house dog around, having fun.  He was behind the couch so I kinda dove over the top and WHAM! my chest came down on the back of the couch. My momentum carried me over and I rolled onto the floor, thankfully not right onto the dog.

Okay....  ribs hurt but not too bad. Just stretched a few tendons or something, right?

Wrong.

It started to get progressively more painful over last week, and I was starting to think that I should get it looked at, but then magically, Sunday morning, the rib pain was nearly gone.

HOWEVER....  I suddenly had severe lower back pain, which made it so I couldn't get comfortable to sleep, and I lost a lot of sleep this week. I had to use my stand-up desk for work because I couldn't sit comfortably for more than 5-10 minutes. 

Earlier this week I had accupuncture and saw my chiropractor. Felt a little better but not a lot.

The saga continues....

Yesterday morning, the lower back pain was magically gone, except it felt like I had a red hot coal below my right ribs in the back, and some burning sensations in the front over the same place. It came and went a bit, but last night I couldn't sleep well at all. I got some sleep after downing 2 shots of rum, but I don't want to make a habit of that.

So, this morning I walked into the doctor's office at 7:45 after dropping my son at school. They used to have an actual "walk-in" clinic at certain times, but apparently they stopped doing that last fall. But when I described my symptoms, the woman at the desk checked and said they could see me at 8:00.

Saw a nurse practitioner, and she ordered X-Rays for the ribs.  She said the other pain might be the gall bladder, but we'd have to get an ultrasound which is unlikely to happen for at least a week.  X-Rays came back showing a cracked rib. I need to "take it easy" for about 6 weeks.  

Funny, but since I don't have any other symptoms of a gall bladder attack or stones, I don't think it's that. Reading about broken ribs, it's a known fact that they can radiate pain to the back and other parts of the body.  I'm hoping that's all it is because I definitely don't want my gall bladder removed. 

I guess I should start "acting my age", at least in some aspects. Dang....

• Like 1
  • Sad 7
  • Heart 3

Jeff-C175
16 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

I guess I should start "acting my age"

No... don't do that!  

Just learn to listen to that 'inner voice' that you always hear just prior to hurting yourself!

Heal well my friend!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Get better soon!  There’s a Horse waiting for ya!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wallfish

I'm with Jeff. If you start "acting your age" you're going to get old quicker so then you'll be acting like a 90 year old lady a lot sooner!

Hope you feel better!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Snoopy11

Take it easy buddy! Heal well... everything else can wait. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kenneth R Cluley

Been there done that with cracked ribs, and they do hurt all different places. Worst is, when you do get to sleep, getting up out of bed! Take it easy for a while and you will be back chasing the dog around soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

davem1111

Thanks, everyone B)  I slept well last night, with the help of some muscle relaxers and a lidocaine patch.

I read the official radiologist's report this morning, and I actually fractured 2 ribs, not just one. Hah. :laughing-rofl:

So yeah, taking it easy for a while.

• Like 1

c-series don

Someone told me a long time ago that the older you get the more important it is that you don’t act your age! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

Horse Newbie

I have thought about my age (59) a lot lately, and have noticed I can’t do the things I used to do… and the things I can do takes a little longer.

Chasing things is not interesting to me.

I have had the thought that I WILL NOT stop doing things based on age alone, and will keep moving about as long as I can, not sit on the couch and wait to get old.

I would rather drop dead in the yard or my shop, not on the couch.

I know that some day Father Time will slow me down, whether it be physically or mentally, but I ain’t gonna sit around and wait on it.

Oh, and get well soon @davem1111, spend a few weeks on the couch planning your next adventure or project ! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Snoopy11

You know @Horse Newbie... Dave talks about how he "fell into the couch" :rolleyes:

Here's what really happened... :occasion-snowman:

HIS WIFE!

After... he talked about buying another tractor... :laughing-rolling:

Don

• Haha 3

Pullstart

Hey Dave.  Here I sit with two ice packs on me.  One on the ribs, one on my shoulder.  Maybe some pain pills maybe some Budweiser.  Rocked myself with true style on one of these one wheeler hover boards today.  100 miles from home with 4 tractors and Norman with the toy hauler.  Tomorrow’s drive home shifting and steering at the same time might suck.  Misery loves company :orcs-cheers:

• Sad 4

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Hey Dave.  Here I sit with two ice packs on me.  One on the ribs, one on my shoulder.  Maybe some pain pills maybe some Budweiser.  Rocked myself with true style on one of these one wheeler hover boards today.  100 miles from home with 4 tractors and Norman with the toy hauler.  Tomorrow’s drive home shifting and steering at the same time might suck.  Misery loves company :orcs-cheers:

Ooouuuuccccch! 

If if wasn't for the drive home, I'd be good with the recreational beverage, but instead recreational ibuprofen sounds like the ticket.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

davem1111
11 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Oh man, that sucks. At least I don't have anywhere to go. Well, other than driving a kid to town in a while. But 100 miles?  I think I'd be staying a few extra days... :confusion-helpsos:

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
17 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

two ice packs

I was gonna ask if Dave was taking lessons from you, but I figured you would be along shortly all on your own!  :ychain::text-lol:

• Haha 5

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

my age (59)

Plus 10 here... and same same... but I soldier on.  Had an arthritis flare up on my right ring finger last week.  Taped it all up and tried not to let it bother me.  I can NOT sit around doing nothing...

• Excellent 4

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

HIS WIFE!

After... he talked about buying another tractor

My wife actually WANTS ME to get another Wheel Horse… for her…

She would want to paint it up in “ girlie” colors, and then I may not want seat time on it “as much”.

She wants a “little “ one for her, oh and it has to be an automatic…

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Ooouuuuccccch! 

If if wasn't for the drive home, I'd be good with the recreational beverage, but instead recreational ibuprofen sounds like the ticket.

Best of luck.

Tomorrow is the drive home :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Handy Don
54 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Yep, I got that. Start the ibuprofen now--it doesn't mix well with that other stuff! :)

• Like 2

8ntruck

Acting my age.  For reference, I just started receiving my SS benefit.  Earlier this summer, we bought an inflatable paddle board mostly for any kids that may visit us at the lake.  

Well today, I listened to that little voice that kept whispering that since you (me, 30 years ago) had some small success with a sail board in the past, the paddle board should be a snap, and decided to give it a try.  After all, water is nice and soft to land on.

The wise old me, told the enthusiastic young me voice that pride was not at stake here - we would only get to a kneeling position to paddle the board around.   Surprisingly, it went well.   Turns out that my weight is close to the rated passenger weight for the board, so being slightly underinflated allowed the board to flex excessively under my weight.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

oliver2-44
7 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

My wife actually WANTS ME to get another Wheel Horse… for her…

She would want to paint it up in “ girlie” colors, and then I may not want seat time on it “as much”.

She wants a “little “ one for her, oh and it has to be an automatic…

@Horse Newbie there could be a lot o things worse that a wife wanting a girlie colored horse. 
A mid-late 60,s medium frame hydro should fit the “little one” requirement.   Then again you could use this as an excuse to build a custom…..

Round Hood with a Hydro

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Tractorhead
16 hours ago, davem1111 said:

Thanks, everyone B)  I slept well last night, with the help of some muscle relaxers and a lidocaine patch.

I read the official radiologist's report this morning, and I actually fractured 2 ribs, not just one. Hah. :laughing-rofl:

So yeah, taking it easy for a while.

Heal well, but don‘t begin to acting like your Age.

Movement is important for our Bodys, sitting is poison, best is move with no load or less load each day.

A long walk each day with the Dog will help you heal well.

After a hard MX Crash i had about 26 years ago, i get now my revenge as Backpains.

The Doctors told me my Backpain will maybe go if i will have a Surgery but my orthopedic told me don‘t do that,

the possibillity to be after a Wheelchair user is at 90% so i started to life with that pains.

With few exercices i can prevent that surgery successfully now since more as 17 years sometimes if i loosening my continuity’s 

i had little more to fight with my pains, sometimes a little less not allway‘s the same, 

but i have every day Fun i must not be in a Wheelchair.

My Mind forgot sometimes my Age and my Pains and i do again stupid things,

but this is for me the Salt in the soup. 🥳😎

That means in other Words - you don‘t be an idiot, you be completely normal 👍

sometimes things happens 😇

Best convalescence 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
19 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Mrs. P stepped up to the plate to drive Norman and the you hauler home.  West bound and down, she’s a true tough woman!

• Heart 5

davem1111
21 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Mrs. P stepped up to the plate to drive Norman and the you hauler home.  West bound and down, she’s a true tough woman!

Yep - sounds like a "Keeper".  Hope you all have a safe trip home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
17 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

Yep - sounds like a "Keeper".  Hope you all have a safe trip home.

After my 15 year trial period, I think I will keeper!

• Haha 2

Handy Don

8 hours ago, Pullstart said:

After my 15 year trial period, I think I will keeper!

I was thinking you're in clover that she still thinks you're worth the trouble!

• Haha 3