Zachary Kosinski

Why is there trans oil leaking from where my axle meets the wheel

Zachary Kosinski

This wheel horse has sat for a while and recently pulled it out of its hole. It has the 8 speed transmission but recently started leaking out where the axle meets the rim (shown in pic). Obviously something is wrong so my question is what needs to be replaced?

image.jpg

Zachary Kosinski

This wheel horse has sat for a while and recently pulled it out of its hole. It has the 8 speed transmission but recently started leaking out where the axle meets the rim (shown in pic). Obviously something is wrong so my question is what needs to be replaced? My guess is the hub went bad. My reasoning for that is the other one seems to be newly replaced by previous owner.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

image.jpg

Edited by Zachary Kosinski
Left something out

squonk

You have an axle seal leaking. May be due to old age, sitting or worse bad axle bearing causing the axle to squash the seal.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Probably just a seal, but I’d drive it a bit, clean it up, then see what it does… my guess is you’ll be putting a new seal on it…

• Like 2

rjg854

:WRS:

As wet as that looks, you shouldn't have a problem getting the hub off :teasing-poke:  Once it's off check the keyways for wear.

Edited by rjg854
Add
  • Like 2

Zachary Kosinski
19 minutes ago, squonk said:

You have an axle seal leaking. May be due to old age, sitting or worse bad axle bearing causing the axle to squash the seal.

I did a little looking. You seem to be right! Do you know where I find can find one or if you know the part number? Thanks a lot

• Thanks 1

rmaynard

Is that a 1" or 1-1/8" axle?

Zachary Kosinski
1 minute ago, rmaynard said:

Is that a 1" or 1-1/8" axle?

1”

rmaynard

1" seal is Toro 100863 or local auto parts store SKF9815

• Excellent 1

rmaynard

See the complete cross reference chart at the beginning of this section of the forum

Edited by rmaynard

stevasaurus

Your hub may also be loose.  The outside should be flush with the end of the axle.

• Like 2

Cee245

Welcome @Zachary Kosinski Zachary!... looks like it needs a seal at least. The hub shouldn't be so far in on the axle so take a good look for wear in that area. Good luck

953 nut

:WRS:

My guess would be the hub has been rubbing against the seal and has torn it. The set screws should be torqued to 35 ft/lb.

When you jack up the rear wheel see if the axle bearing is causing the seal to fail. If the axle moves in and out a quarter inch or so that is fine. If the axle moves up/down or front/back then the axle bearing is bad and would need replacement.

• Like 2

Zachary Kosinski
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Your hub may also be loose.  The outside should be flush with the end of the axle.

Turns out the keyway is worn so the only way to keep it tight is to have the axle sticking out

lynnmor

Don’t keep running it, a loose hub or bad bearing will cause additional damage.  Jack it up, remove the wheel and hub to inspect.

stevasaurus

You can fix the axle and hub so it doesn't slide and sits where it should be.  :eusa-think: