Pullstart

The anatomy of a puller

Pullstart

I know that no great racer ever tells all his or her secrets, but what are some key details of turning a normal garden tractor into a puller?  Power, the right gear selection, weight to keep the power to the ground, sounds simple.  I have a buddy looking to get into pulling and I am offering him my C-165 black hood with a poor running Briggs blowing oil out the intake.  So, his engine options are grand with a lot of space but he/we know very little about the entirety of the sport.

Here’s what I learned so far:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

jeremi3210

All depends on the rules and what he is pulling on. I usually pull on gravel so all the weight goes on the back 3rd gear and let her rip. Get the biggest tire that's allowed and the biggest hp engine. Where I pull its 14hp single. I do pull some on clay and that needs some weight shifted to the front so you don't stare at the clouds to much and 2nd gear for us! Build a adjustable hitch with wheelie bars for safety. My club is 13 inch hitch height usually and between 950 to 1050 pounds with driver. Any questions feel free to ask!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1