ohiofarmer

When it rains it pours

ohiofarmer

Well,guys, lightning strikes twice. Within two weeks, I found a super nice 314 and just today an original unmolested time capsule of a C160. 

I told a bit about the 314 before, but that big C is just one that you do not find like that very often. I had been very frustrated with info that kept going away on marketplace and lost track of that C160. Today,it popped up again and was only twenty miles from home.

The seller was a super nice guy who got the tractor when a man renting barn space was short if cash to pay his storage and offered the tractor as payment. He had the classic line of it drove fine but it has been parked since 2018. I then asked if he could help me out on the price and he complained about getting so much low ball stuff. He came up with his lowest acceptable price which really got my attention. I told him that I could run a few tests and bring a battery along to see if it has compression enough to fire.

We pulled the spark plug in order to crank it for a bit to get oil to the piston. She had a decent spark by grounding the plug, and we replaced it and a bit if carb spray lit it off. 

The tractor is not home yet, but we will pick it up Monday. Each and every part seems to be original and not messed about. There is a small hole by the discharge on the back of the deck. This one is speaking a language and that language is Patina. I am almost certain that it had never been painted over and should look great with an oiled finish with maybe Almond  painted wheels. This is on top of an unexpected purchase of a 314 when I actually went to buy an Electro that seemed a bit tired, do the seller offered me the ready to go 314 for a good value.  Both these tractors are rare to find in this nice of condition. 

If there is any downside, it is obvious to me that for the time being, people are struggling with just having enough to get by with food and fuel prices. Both sellers stated that they just did not get any good offers.At least I gave them their asking price in both cases. 

You guys will see some pictures shortly.  I got covered up with work trying to help a friend turn over a property from a dirty tenant.  

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

ohiofarmer

Well, here is the 314-8 in the truck ,following me home. it has the silver horse emblem.

DSCN1587.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ohiofarmer

Firmly ensconced in the Dodge of nearly the same age. i'll give you one guess which one is running like new.

DSCN1589.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
13 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

struggling with just having enough to get by with food and fuel prices

I hear you.

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

She is nice and straight, with a few scratches on the decal at the corners. No question it was kept inside all its life

DSCN1588.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don

Looks great. Worked hard but not abused.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

And this is the last one before she left the truck

DSCN1590.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ohiofarmer
5 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Looks great. Worked hard but not abused.

Actually, the tractor looks much nicer than the pictures. the flash on the camera washed things out a bit. It has less than 900 hours. They could have been nicer to the deck. A plastic bushing let the slide that lets the tensioner adjust wallow out a bit. i scraped the schnieff from the underneath and painted the underside with dirty oil from a diesel so I could use it right away. She mows a treat.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:clap:

• Like 2

peter lena

@ohiofarmer nice, glad for you , while you are thinking about what's  going on , give that paint a lubrication soak down , it will feed the paint and save patina , rub it down till dry with a clean soft cloth , done that for years on my horses , paint is deep and clean , zero rust , sheds water like a duck , what's  not to like ?  baseline thorough service , pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Good scores!  I thought the topic of the thread would indicate the rain we actually got.  2+” in the last 24 hours.  It’s nice I didn’t have to fill the pool again!

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

IMG_20220813_160921.jpg

IMG_20220813_160902.jpg

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

Well, I finally figured out how to upload pics from the cell phone. This is all I have of the c160

• Like 2

ineedanother
8 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

Well, I finally figured out how to upload pics from the cell phone. This is all I have of the c160

That's a great find. Looks to have been kept under shelter :thumbs:

• Like 1

kpinnc

ANOTHER BLEEPING C160?!? :blink:

SHEESH! :rolleyes:

It's like they are coming out of the woodwork EVERYWHERE!

....Except here.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Haha 1

ineedanother
11 hours ago, kpinnc said:

....Except here.

I'll second that. :handgestures-thumbdown:

• Like 2

oldredrider
19 hours ago, kpinnc said:

....Except here.

Ever since I got into Wheel Horses, I wanted a C-160. Probably have had 6 of them but sold all of them, some before they got off the trailer... couldn't resist offers!

Decided I'd keep the next one I found. 

'77 C-160 auto. Picked it up near Raleigh NC. Good runner, strong engine and transmission. Still have it now. 

Oh yeah, paid $125 for it!

Maybe I got the last one in NC!!!

Edited by oldredrider
  • Haha 3

ineedanother
21 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

Maybe I got the last one in NC!!!

Darn near, I believe. I found one in Raleigh last year in pretty bad shape but with a hydro lift for $200. I'm easing into a refurb but tied up with a few other things but it's coming...

You need to stop dragging stuff from NC into VA!!! Go to PA!! :ychain: There seems to be a treasure-trove there :thumbs: 

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

IMG_20220816_200148.jpg

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ohiofarmer

Well, she's on the truck,fellas. I am pretty happy with the lens cover not having cracks. Also with the fact that this is the original paint and no one has come near it with a hardware store can of spray bomb paint.Its still on the truck, and the owner actually got it to start and it loaded itself with a carburetor that is not happy

IMG_20220816_200241.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6

peter lena

@ohiofarmer   aerosol  penetrating spray lubricant , on paint soak down , very simple , and while you are figuring what to do next . on your recent pickups , the paint is being saved , just a suggestion , pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Cee245  typically do that in a  2 stage soak down , initial spray down of all painted surfaces , if you can add sun to heat up the metal , even better , just let it sit / soak  for the day , next day wipe it down , soft clean cloth , NO SANDPAPER  OR SCRATCH PADS . till dry , then do it again , that lubrication soak paint feed  is what really saves paint / patina . the darker lubricated finish will look just right on the horse. you can leave it there, as is , and just give it a oily cloth rub down , as needed . have also gone the next step , with 6" electric palm buffer , cleaner wax , pow ! the paint just broke thru the dull shene , have a  92 , horse , that , has recovered paint , that looks like new . its in there , waiting to be recovered .  this is not difficult to do ,  just an idea , pete    

• Excellent 1

ohiofarmer
On 8/17/2022 at 8:50 AM, peter lena said:

@Cee245  typically do that in a  2 stage soak down , initial spray down of all painted surfaces , if you can add sun to heat up the metal , even better , just let it sit / soak  for the day , next day wipe it down , soft clean cloth , NO SANDPAPER  OR SCRATCH PADS . till dry , then do it again , that lubrication soak paint feed  is what really saves paint / patina . the darker lubricated finish will look just right on the horse. you can leave it there, as is , and just give it a oily cloth rub down , as needed . have also gone the next step , with 6" electric palm buffer , cleaner wax , pow ! the paint just broke thru the dull shene , have a  92 , horse , that , has recovered paint , that looks like new . its in there , waiting to be recovered .  this is not difficult to do ,  just an idea , pete    

ohiofarmer

I thought that this this tractor was really close to running as we were able to load it up by using the choke. I decided to just remove the float bowl and insert the red straw into the ports after removing the main jet needle and slow speed jet. There was a black grainy paste in the bowl retention nut and all went well until I turned the fuel valve on. A piece of brittle rubber came off the tank gasket and was leaking all over the battery.

I got out a small fuel can and quickly snipped the line to catch what was left of the gas and then looked around the shop. There were two tractors without batteries blocking the way to the door and no way was anything worth risking a fire. The big C was gonna wait some more, and the shop would still be intact. 

The deck of this rig has decent paint on it under a light coating if mud. One of the blades underneath actually has spin marks on it from the mud after sitting since 2018. So I occupied myself with removing the deck even though I have a very pressing need to hear the tractor running well.

Meanwhile the paint restore is underway. 

I did mix a little Marvel in there as well. 

IMG-20220819-WA0003.jpeg

IMG_20220818_124140.jpg

ohiofarmer

Thanks to the good advice, I just buffed the oil fed finish down a bit with swirl mark remover and then a bit of wax. Just enough shine that you can see the shape if your face looking back and the color is nice.

Quire a difference from post number twelve

IMG_20220828_131655.jpg

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 5