Moparfanforever

C120 Limited Slip ??

Moparfanforever

I picked up this neglected C120 and got it running really well and I got the hydro linkage working right, run it around and got it warmed up and put it front first on a pole, pushed it forward and to my surprise both back tires spun at the same time. Is this normal for this style of tractor?? The hydro seems to work good, but I haven't used it that much. 

20220809_070611.jpg.8e076b14c39401f8df5bfaac33f73136.jpg

I think the hydro filter was original. 

20220809_070501.jpg.01871ed03a4ae3d6fb78623f678af407.jpg

And this fitting by the blue rag is leaking, I think where it screws into the cylinder. Is there an oring in the fitting/cylinder to seal it?? Something special or just a simple oring ??

Thanks!!!

20220809_070351.jpg.2dc436525f4640d525b7435aa5d17383.jpg 

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

I don't think a hydro had Limited Slip from the factory after around 1971 or so...

It's a fairly easy conversion to do so it's entirely possible somebody changed it over or had it done.

Is it possible that when you did that test the friction between both tires was equally enough that they both spun...?

On that leaking fitting, Lowell at Wheel Horse Parts and More could probably answer that and have the parts to help you out.

• Like 2

Moparfanforever

Not sure about the friction being the same.  I tried it twice in two different spots and both tires did the same thing. 

• Like 3

pfrederi

It should be an ORB SAE #5 fitting.  Uses a Dash #905 o ring

• Like 2

Achto

I had a Bronco 14 apart and it had a limited slip differential. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, Achto said:

I had a Bronco 14 apart and it had a limited slip differential. 

So that had to be a 1972 or older.

I know the 8-speeds from 1974 up did not have LSD but I don't know about the Automatics. I can tell you my 1975 C160 Automatic does NOT have it.

• Like 1

Moparfanforever

I put the tractor up against the pole three more times and it spun both tires two times and one tire once. 

I was asking about it because I am turning this into a snow fighter because of the hydro lift. LSD or not , I am going to put a blade on it. 

Put a new o ring in the fitting and that stopped the leak , but now it is leaking out of the little rubber dohicky at the end of the cylinder where the shaft goes thru. Time to order from Lowell. 

Thanks for the info pfrederi !!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Moparfanforever said:

snow fighter because of the hydro lift. LSD or not , I am going to put a blade on it. 

WEIGHT will be your friend.

My snow tractor weighs about 1400 lb with me sitting on it.

• Like 1

Moparfanforever

I got the weight part covered, not quite to 1400 lbs though !! I have gotten thru eight inches of wet snow. Anymore than that I may get out the big tractor/loader. 

I am getting up in years and I may need a hydraulic lift to pick up the blade. 

👍👍👍

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Moparfanforever said:

hydraulic lift

I've been moving snow with a manual lift for three or four years now. First with a 42 blade then with a 48 blade.

Lots of folks on this forum kept saying that the hydraulic lift is the bee's knees and the cat's meow so when the opportunity to purchase one came up, I grabbed it.

I was able to install a 60" wide @wallfish built plow that has a ½" x 4"  skid steer cutting edge on it which is extremely heavy.

When I had the narrower blades on I used the solid down pressure bar quite a lot.

With the really wide blade I just attached to chain.  

With the extra weight of the hugemongus cutting edge I never missed down pressure this past winter.  

You'll be pretty happy with that Hydro lift.

• Like 2

Moparfanforever
12 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Everyone eventually realizes a hydro and hydraulic lift is a necessity  for a snow machine.  Wisdom comes with age.

👍👍👍

Moparfanforever
16 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've been moving snow with a manual lift for three or four years now. First with a 42 blade then with a 48 blade.

Lots of folks on this forum kept saying that the hydraulic lift is the bee's knees and the cat's meow so when the opportunity to purchase one came up, I grabbed it.

I was able to install a 60" wide @wallfish built plow that has a ½" x 4"  skid steer cutting edge on it which is extremely heavy.

When I had the narrower blades on I used the solid down pressure bar quite a lot.

With the really wide blade I just attached to chain.  

With the extra weight of the hugemongus cutting edge I never missed down pressure this past winter.  

You'll be pretty happy with that Hydro lift.

I have two tractors with 48" blades, both hydrostats,but manual lifts. I think it is getting time for hydraulic lift.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Wisdom

Ed, I don't know if I'll ever get old enough to refer to my mental dribblings as wisdom but I'm willing to accept "slightly less stupider". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

ebinmaine
On 8/9/2022 at 3:46 PM, Moparfanforever said:

time for hydraulic lift.

Tripped over this thread looking for something else and I just wondered if you had gotten to be able to try out the hydraulic lift with a snowstorm yet...? 

peter lena

@Moparfanforever  nice save on that  !  hope you do have a lsd , also thought , you might  think of this , very easy to do , you can make it simple with a  1 / 2 spray /soak down  . let sit a day , wipe down to dry , if you want more paint , do it again  .  simple easy , only a  suggestion , opportunity , pete

kpinnc
On 8/9/2022 at 11:20 AM, ebinmaine said:

So that had to be a 1972 or older.

My Bronco is a 1971. It had limited slip originally.

• Like 1

953 nut
On 8/9/2022 at 3:29 PM, Ed Kennell said:

Wisdom comes with age                  and a bad back!            :unsure:

Free Cliparts Sore Back, Download Free Cliparts Sore Back png images, Free  ClipArts on Clipart Library

• Haha 2

Handy Don
6 hours ago, 953 nut said:
On 8/9/2022 at 3:29 PM, Ed Kennell said:

Wisdom comes with age                  and a bad back!            :unsure:

And skinned knuckles, pinched fingers, banged shins, and hunting for the tool you had in your had just a few seconds ago.

• Haha 1