Thompson1276

Key Turns, …but so does the End

Thompson1276

I’m almost done rebuilding my 1276 got the gas tank and seat pan left. and I was putting wiring in. And couldn’t put the dash in so I took the ignition out ,and when I put it back in the dash I put the key in it. the key would turn. the part that’s bolt to the dash would stay, but the whole end the big part of it would turn with the key. I can’t find anything on google ,and don’t know what’s up, should I weld the sleeve to the big part. idk what the names to this stuff is , I need some assistance to this so please help if you can 

965E8CC4-61A3-4693-ACD6-17A660C73DB2.jpeg

Pullstart

The entire body of the ignition switch should be non mobile.  If two parts of it are moving independently, it should be replaced unfortunately.  Make sure you use the correct switch, not all of them are the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
35 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

The entire body of the ignition switch should be non mobile.  If two parts of it are moving independently, it should be replaced unfortunately.  Make sure you use the correct switch, not all of them are the same.

:text-yeahthat:

I've tried repairing ignition switches in the past and now consider it a fool's errand. 

Replace it with the correct switch--straightforward and sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1