davem1111

Two PTO issues on GT-1848

davem1111

I'm trying to figure out how to fix two problems: 

1. Drive belt from PTO to deck keeps flipping over between the PTO and the mule.  Everything looks okay, belt runs right between mule and deck. It cuts just fine, but I'm concerned that running the belt on its back through the PTO will shorten its life a lot.

2. PTO handle kicks off at random times while engaged. Not doing anything unusual, just cruising along mowing, and boom, it flips back.  Missing spring maybe?

Any ideas?

8ntruck

The drive belt on my 14-8 running a 42" RD deck did exactly that today.  This is the start of the 3rd season in it.  Itook the twist out and added more belt tension at the mule drive.

Not the first time this belt has done this.  I'm beginning to think it may be a belt problem.  I brought it at the local hardware store, so it may not be the best quality belt.  If I replace it, I'll buy the replacement from NAPA.

The PTO kicking off at random sounds like an adjustment issue.  Maybe run the adjustment trunion towards the front of the tractor 2 or 3 turns.  If that does not work, try 2 or 3 turns the other way. 

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I have no experience with this on a GT, but I managed to run binder twine around the pulley system enough times on an ‘81 VW Rabbit that it worked not only to get me home, but around town for a week or so until it was ‘et by the timing belt!  :eusa-doh:

• Haha 1

peter lena

@davem1111  agree with @8ntruck, on the experience , of a pto belt / mule drive tune up , that pto lever  trunnion should be lubricated and washered up to firm up its function , there is a " sweet spot  "  in that back and forth adjustment that will hold its spot. I  also , added  3/8 to 7/16 " washers to the lever start point , next to battery tray frame start point , makes a very solid / smooth function. also lubricate the mule drive / mount adjustment dial adjustment areas , should be a smooth function . on the other hand if your belt has a incorrect running " set " in it , it could be prone to flip on its own , a new belt corrects that .  BTW, eliminated that trunnion years ago , went over to  3/8 x24  heim joint with stud , on my 3 horses , no problems or failures . just some ideas , pete    

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@davem1111   first  photo , look at lubricated stack of pto lever rod washers , to firm up sloppy lever action , heim joint in place of  trunnion joint , rethread end of rod with a 3/8 x 24 die nut , heim joint screws right on , notice battery tender plug in hanging on choke cable ?  how about that battery cable , going to the corner of engine to frame ?  for added  rectifier grounding and on to headlights grounding , that cable bolts to battery cable bolt point on frame next to battery , that is also the pto lever start area . all of this is hiding in plane site . also note corner of flange bearing 1,st photo going to steering column . you can make things better , pete

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Samone
      By Samone
      I recently acquired a 520xi. She's a pretty sweet machine and I took a liking to her before she landed in my garage. I've used her a few times this spring to haul some brush around in her trailer. 
         As the grass grew taller, however, I knew it was time to put the deck on her and start mowing. Note: this is my first wheelhorse, and also this was the first time I'd mown with her. Anyway, I did about half an hour of mowing (about half of my lawn), having turned her pto on and off a few times for various reasons, when at some point I turned the pto off to back out from between the dead-end swath between 2 trees I had just mown. I backed out, turned around, lined myself up to get back on track with the mowing, pulled the pto knob, and....nothing. Or so I thought at first.
         There is a quiet, though definitely present sound whenever I pull the pto knob on. At first I thought the blades might be stuck or something and the drive belt was sliding on the pto pulley. After some inspection, I found it wasnt. I prooved it wasn't by taking the drive belt off the pto and trying to turn the pto on. I still hear that same sound and the engine acts slightly stressed when I turn the pto on.
         One last thing. I turned the engine off, took the front grill off the tractor and tried to turn the pto pulley. It moves but is stopped by some kind of what looks like a safety stop (a bar on the pulley hitting a bar in the way). 
         Anyway, this is where I'm at. If anyone knows or has any idea why what's happening is happening and/or how to fix it Id appreciate it very much.

• Armin Buehlmann
      By Armin Buehlmann
      Hi,
      I read through a few related posts but my symptoms sound different.
      Have an '89-'90? Wheelhorse 520-H,  model 4120OE01.
      When I engage the PTO, the engine stalls. No fault indicators.
      However, everything else seems normal:
      - all lights work when pressing 'TEST'
      - when I engage the PTO without sitting on the seat, the engine also stalls, but the 'SEAT' light comes on. Normal.
      - when I try to start the engine with the PTO engaged, it won't start and 'PTO' lights up. Normal.
      - after disconnecting the load (2-stage snow blower belt in this case) from the PTO, I get the same problem, engine stalls immediately. PTO pulley turns along fine with the remaining motion.

And I also need to mention: the first time it happened it was intermittent. The tractor and snowblower attachment were used over a month ago, without any problem.This time got above symptom upon startup. I didn't feel like shoveling so after revving the engine for a minute or two and a few 'encouraging' words, it worked.  I switched the PTO off and on several times afterwards with no problem (engine warm, obviously). Today, with the engine cold, the problem is back.

I think there's enough reason to rule out the PTO- and seat- switches. But what else should I check? 
      This is my first time writing in the forum and I hope I've given enough clues without boring you.
      Any hints and advice are appreciated.
      Armin

PS any good tricks to counteract the belt tensioner on the 2-stage snow thrower (model 79361)? It is a bear to connect and disconnect.

• zeke37
      By zeke37
      Hello so I've rebuilt the deck but now when I engage the PTO nothing happens, I think I messed up the linkage and am not sure how to put it back, it was working fine before. if i graB hoop the PTO engages but will not engage with the lever. I am a dumbass, I know, shouldh ave taken a picture.,

• coach717
      By coach717
      Newbie here I bought an old 1988 Wheel Horse 111-6 it's a rear engine. I picked this up for $75.00 Put a new ignition switch in cleaned the carb installed a new battery and it fired right up. Amazing! What I havent been able to do is keep the pto belt working so the deck cuts. Is there an adjustment I can make to help insure that the belt stays engaged? Help I don't want to use that walk behind mower!!!
      Thanks,
      Coach717 needs coaching
    • deere173
      By deere173
      Hello again. I'm helping a friend with a problem with his 312-H tractor and 42 inch rear discharge mower deck.  We've done a lot of work on this machine in the last year and the last problem is that the pto belt, or deck drive belt, is wearing out pretty quickly.  This will be the second belt this summer.  I have tried every belt routing I can see as possible, including reversing the idler pulleys on the forward right side of the tractor frame. We are using belt #108834, 1/2' x 98".  Is this normal??