Ed Kennell

2022 Deer Tails

WHGuy413
On 12/1/2022 at 6:49 PM, WHX?? said:

I wouldn't either... reminds me of the idiots that take sound shots. :unsure:

I was supposed to hunt the second day of shot gun with a friend and his buddies probably 12 years ago now. I called him the evening before and he told me he was at the gun shop and they were buying more ammo. I was stunned. I said how many times did you shoot and he said he shot 17 out of the 20 bullets he brought and his buddies had shot off all their ammo. They only took 3 deer that day between 7 or 8 of them and they shot nearly 45 times. I quickly came up with an excuse as to why I couldn’t hunt with them that day. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

@WHGuy413 I was watching a 50/200 zero video the other day.  The guy said I should plan for a box of ammo for sighting my gun, a box for hunting for the season.  I am still on box 1, with 4 deer in the freezer.  Wild stuff!

As for a hunting update here, Sunday is the last day of the season I can shoot a buck.  Still have a tag for 4or more points on a side, so a 7 or bigger, likely (unless it’s a broken antler deer).  Tonight it’s supposed to get pretty chilly and 10am tomorrow start snowing 1-3” all day.  A perfect time to sit in a tree and wish on a big one!  Saturday evening I might be able to sit, but we have plans otherwise.  I still have my buck and a doe tag. We could survive the year with the meat we have, but I enjoy sharing and cooking for others too.  I’d love to take two bucks in a year again, like 2018!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

I had one of my best days today from 2-5PM.   There was only about 20 minutes when I wasn't watching deer.      All doe and fawns until right at dark when I saw a buck chasing 2 doe about 200 yds away.

Maybe tomorrow or Saturday...last day for rifle.

I have one doe tag and my buck tag left. I only need one more deer and prefer to fill the buck tag, but Saturday may be buck or doe.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHGuy413
9 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

@WHGuy413 I was watching a 50/200 zero video the other day.  The guy said I should plan for a box of ammo for sighting my gun, a box for hunting for the season.  I am still on box 1, with 4 deer in the freezer.  Wild stuff!

As for a hunting update here, Sunday is the last day of the season I can shoot a buck.  Still have a tag for 4or more points on a side, so a 7 or bigger, likely (unless it’s a broken antler deer).  Tonight it’s supposed to get pretty chilly and 10am tomorrow start snowing 1-3” all day.  A perfect time to sit in a tree and wish on a big one!  Saturday evening I might be able to sit, but we have plans otherwise.  I still have my buck and a doe tag. We could survive the year with the meat we have, but I enjoy sharing and cooking for others too.  I’d love to take two bucks in a year again, like 2018!

Good luck! I haven’t been able to get out since last Tuesday due to work. It poured here Saturday and we can’t hunt Sundays. Waiting patently for Saturday so I can go back out. Alex and I almost smoked one with my truck on our way home. He insisted 2 out of the other 3 that were with it had antlers. I was too busy looking at the doe trying to avoid hitting her. Just up the street from our house and in the area we hunt.

• Like 3

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

last day for rifle

Do you have bow or a late season following, or are you done then?  We can still shoot doe until January 1 here.

Ed Kennell
3 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Do you have bow or a late season following, or are you done then?  We can still shoot doe until January 1 here.

Bow and/or flintlock opens on Dec. 26 and ends Jan. 16 statewide.    When using the flintlock, you can use your buck tag on a buck or doe.

Rifle reopens Dec. 26 - Jan. 28 in a few small areas where the deer population is a problem...mainly around the Philadelphia and Pittsburg areas.

• Like 1

WHX??

Here too doe...bow or xbow only except for 4 days or so holiday hunt any weapon. By flintlock Ed does that mean no 209 smoke poles? That's interesting.

Ed Kennell
4 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

By flintlock Ed does that mean no 209 smoke poles?

Yep, has to be a front loader with flint ignition and no optics during the late flintlock/bow season.  I usually feel better using the Xbow.  It launches in wet weather and I can use the optics.   Pretty hard for old eyes to focus at 6", 36", and 60 yds. at the same time.

We do have an early week of doe only during bow season where you can use the 209 smokers with optics.  This is when I usually fill one of the doe tags.

• Like 1

WHX??
3 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

no optics 

Yep that's the way it used to be around here with any front stuffer. My how times have changed.  

Ed Kennell
2 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

My how times have changed. 

Yep, the purist archers and rifle hunters put up a fight against the cam wheel bows, then the xbows, but technology and license sales won.

The flintlockers are still clinging to their late season.

• Like 2

WHX??
6 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

The flintlockers are still clinging to their late season.

I think that's pretty cool and there should be a week or so of long bows and traditional gear. 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Picked up 32 lb of venison bologna at the butcher shop.

104_1301.JPG.da6cd47cb9208f1902b88b30cb3b6be7.JPG

Gotta watch where you step in the parking lot.

104_1299.JPG.124bac08ae3ddd641826a078f5c83be4.JPG

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

I'm done.  Just finished skinning a doe.    There were two in the corn field when I got in my stand at 2PM.    Saw 4 more off and on all afternoon.

At 4:15 one walked in my shooting lane at 15 yards.    No lost meat on this one.   I still have my buck tag, but I do not need another deer so I am done for this year.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
35 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

do not need another deer so I am done for this year.

Hear ya Ed ... especially with that bologna haul. I could use another sausage doe or two. What with the price of beef and how Kev and I like back straps, I might harvest another one.

I think we should shrink wrap something Kev  for a venny feed at Portage ? 

Slather down a whole back strap and smoke it?

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
12 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'm done. 

I have two more tags yet, but more meat in the freezer than ever before.  Lots of time to think in my tree.  No deers lately.  I really screwed up not planting a food plot.  My grass has been effective bedding, but a neighbor less than a half mile away did the same for a front yard / dirt bike track and it’s next to a big woods and a couple swamps.  

pulled an Ed Dog this morning too!  Went to push my glasses up my nose out of habit, to realize they are on my bed stand still!  

12 hours ago, WHX?? said:

for a venny feed at Portage ? 

Slather down a whole back strap and smoke it

I’ve got two thawing for a whole smoke tomorrow as well!  One marinade and one dry?  Portage might be a no-go, or at least for the fam next year.  It’s super close to the 4th and Tay might not be able to get away from work that long.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

WHX??
44 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Portage might be a no-go, or at least for the fam next year.  

:sad-pacing:

• Sad 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, WHX?? said:

:sad-pacing:

Hey now Uncle Jim, don’t pout you still have poo poos and Dan to snuggle with if Cindaaaaay kicks you out the kingdom!

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell

We like Baconburgers.   

1153244283_104_1303-Copy.JPG.056c341fd50b60b25efe66dddb34bf14.JPG

Can't beat a grilled backstrap though.

539509407_104_1302-Copy.JPG.8c7c82285942f0c80152fe9b5fb2a692.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

I had to take a drive this morning and have dinner plans tonight.  Perfect “scouting” day.  I grabbed my trusty 450 Bushmaster, a chainsaw and some levers and took a hike.  I’ve had some trees in mind to hinge cut and promote more bedding on the property.  When I arrived at the desired location for a few hinge cuts, I found three fresh beds.  Does must be.  I managed to get 4 or 5 trees toppled over and hinged over each other.  I trimmed some entry/escape routes, adding any cut brush to their already established wind breaks.  My trails around the grass land are like super highways, but I haven’t seen a daylight deer in a couple weeks.  I’ll be hunting this coming storm arrival with hopes for some more venison before heading to TN for the funeral services.  Last opportunity of the season likely, unless I get some new year’s day tree time for one last push.  Rylee has her cousin over and I sent them up some small maples and elms for seed gathering efforts.  I’ll till a few places and mix in some heavy seed for tree growth efforts.  I’m planning to attempt growing pine trees from seed this winter/spring as well, to increase wind breaks, cover and bedding.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I don't need any more venison and I can't take the cold.      It would be nice to to fill my buck tag though.   I hung some trail cams yesterday to see if any bucks are moving in the daylight.

If anything shows, I may have to stuff some powder in the smoke pole when the season opens after Christmas.

• Like 2

Pullstart

Do you ever use heated glove warmers, or boot warmers Ed?  I have piles of ‘em, but am always too stubborn to open them!  I might burn a couple in the tree tomorrow for the heck of it.

Ed Kennell

I have used hand warmers in the past with success.   I have a pair of glove /mittens with a zipper pocket that holds a hand warmer on the back of the fingers.  The front half of the mittens flips open to expose the gloved fingers for shooting.

I tried heated insoles this winter for the first time.   They are peel and stick to the outside of the sock.      I had one bunch up and made it uncomfortable, but they did keep my feet warm.

I will use them and be careful to loosen the boot strings so they slide in easier.

• Like 3

WHX??
59 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I’ll till a few places and mix in some heavy seed for tree growth efforts.  I’m planning to attempt growing pine trees from seed this winter/spring as well, to increase wind breaks, cover and bedding.

Check with the MI forestry dept. Here they offer seedlings for such stewardship efforts. Might have to buy in bulk tho. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
10 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I have used hand warmers in the past with success.   I have a pair of glove /mittens with a zipper pocket that holds a hand warmer on the back of the fingers.  The front half of the mittens flips open to expose the gloved fingers for shooting.

I tried heated insoles this winter for the first time.   They are peel and stick to the outside of the sock.      I had one bunch up and made it uncomfortable, but they did keep my feet warm.

I will use them and be careful to loosen the boot strings so they slide in easier.

my hunting boots are about 3 sizes too big for me and heavily lined.  I think they’ll have room to add the heater packs without discomfort.  I figured I’d toss hand warmers in my chest pockets of my jump suit.  

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
5 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Check with the MI forestry dept. Here they offer seedlings for such stewardship efforts. Might have to buy in bulk tho. 

PeeAaa has a free seedling program for qualified landowners.    MI may have the same.

• Excellent 1