Panther416-8

416-8 Kohler Magnum not charging and 15V AC coming from wires behind flywheel

Panther416-8

Hi all,

As the title states I'm not getting any charging, 12.0 volts DC at the battery. I saw an older post about checking the output from the stator I believe and it mentioned it should read about 30 volts AC when measuring between the two wires. I am reading 15V AC. Not sure I'm checking the right wires but it looks like a white and maybe a gray coming out from the flywheel area and goes into a connector, see attached. If I put the meter probes into the connector where the white and gray wires enter I get the 15V measurement mentioned.  Am I measuring the correct wires? Appreciate any help on this, thanks.

20220728_094149.jpg

Panther416-8

Started taking the flywheel cover off to see what things look like. No sign of any mouse nests. I don't think this is the stator in the attached pic. It has the spark plug wire leading from it and the two wires, white and gray that I mentioned above that are in a loom that runs down that connector. Do you have to take the flywheel off to access the stator? Odd thing is there are no other wires coming out from around the flywheel area if I did pull the flywheel.  Is there a way to disconnect the voltage regulator connector and check the voltage feeding the voltage regulator?

20220728_145159.jpg

20220728_142039.jpg

Panther416-8

Well, after some phone consultations with a local small engine repair guy I think I have it figured out. I was initially looking at the wrong wires. Checking the stator output (now understand that it is located behind the flywheel) at the regulator it's putting out 45 VAC so that's good. Output at the regulator to battery is 12 V so making conclusion the regulator is toast.

wallfish

Make sure the regulator body is grounded good

You should be able to stick the meter's + pin in the connector at the regulator to check it there.

To test the wiring from the regulator to the battery, use the meter at the regulator to test for 12v through the wiring and the key switch. With the key on in the run position but the engine off, + meter at the wire at the regulator. Should read 12v ish

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:

With the ignition key in the on position and engine not running the center terminal of your voltage regulator should have battery voltage going to it. If you are not reading battery voltage at the center terminal there could be a blown fuse or a connection that is corroded or loose.

The Purple wire in your first photo should read battery voltage too.

Not sure what year 416 you have so an using a 1991 wiring diagram, most are about the same. The charging system has very few components. The "R" terminal of the key switch is between the battery and fuse wherer the R is shown.

John @wallfish was typing while I was uploading the wiring.   :text-yeahthat:

939108901_Screenshot(69).png.c92efc60cadc6fabeb95fad813c4f1e6.png

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2

wallfish
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

John @wallfish was typing while I was uploading the wiring

Beat ya! LoL

• Haha 2

gwest_ca

416-8 with Magnum engine is 1987 or 1988 so this wiring applies.

1986 used K-Series Kohler and 1989 used Onan.

• Like 1

Panther416-8

Thanks guys for the ground suggestions, I will look at those today. With ignition on but not running I have the battery voltage at the center purple wire (B+) on the regulator. Thanks gwest for the narrowing down of the years. The sticker on the engine tin isn't very clear but appears to read

MODEL NO M16S

SPEC NO 711520?

SERIAL NO 1701208824

Not sure if that in any way helps further identify the year. 

Panther416-8

Grounds were clean and test good. Still not charging.  Replaced voltage regulator and now have 14.3 at the battery.  Thanks all.  

gwest_ca

Kohler made serial 1701208824 in 1987 so the tractor could be a 1987 or 1988 model.

The spec number used was 711523.

The model numbers to use are 31-16K803 (1987) or 31-16K804 (1988) - they are likely identical.

Panther416-8

Thanks gwest. Apparently that spec number is the one to have when looking up parts. The way it's been running I was thinking of replacing the carburetor (lot of junk was in the bowl), which turns out to be Kohler part 4585312-S which has been discontinued.  There's a few floating around on the net but they're running about $300...ouch!