Panther416-8

Panther416-8

Hello all,

I've been a WH user/owner for most of my life and really enjoy the quality build and wide range of use of these machines.  Previous models were 60s vintage but now I have a 416-8 with the Kohler magnum that I picked up about 14 years ago. Most of its chores have been lawn mowing, trailer hauling, pulling an Agrifab lawn vacuum and with a 48" snow plow that I use a winch on for lift. In the works is a new clevis hitch and rock shaft kit from WH and More to use the Brinly plow I picked up last week on CL. It is brand new, never used for $125. I have a couple of small hay fields that have never been plowed and hope the little guy can do it.

20220728_112847.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Panther.          Nice introduction and one strong looking 416 that should handle anything.

peter lena

@Panther416-8 looks good, any issues ? or just regular maintenance ?   how about upgrades / changes  for issues ? just curious , pete 

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@Snoopy11  only askin , can't have anybody  sneaking up on me , just horsin, pete

• Haha 2

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, peter lena said:

can't have anybody  sneaking up on me

Ha ha... yes sir... I thought that when I read your post... :lol:

Don

• Like 1

ri702bill
3 hours ago, Panther416-8 said:

It is brand new, never used for $125. I have a couple of small hay fields that have never been plowed and hope the little guy can do it.

That's what low range is for!!! Welcome - Nice set of barbell weights for the front- - looks familiar...

P1010325.JPG

P1010130.JPG

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 4

roadapples

:WRS:

Panther416-8

Thanks all for the welcome. The only major issue I had was with the transmission.  Last year it started to take much more effort to move the shift lever and while mowing it actually broke off. It was like something from a movie. Here I was just holding the shift rod in my hand not connected to anything. Bought a new rod thinking that was the issue but something was wrong with the gears inside. I purchased a used tranny on ebay, cleaned it up, put some fresh gear lube and I was good to go. The only issue I have now is it isn't charging.  I saw some threads on here and I checked wires coming out from the flywheel and have only 15 volts AC between them which may be part of the problem.  I will post under the electrical issue section and see if I can get some resolution on this. Thanks

• Like 3

peter lena

@Panther416-8  frequent charging issues is poor grounding to related areas , have any of these ?https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=t03VBqLL&id=775D236D27733EF933ED00792D519620C5B2E22B&thid=OIP.t03VBqLLfwNI_ICeile6yQHaHa& clip on to battery ground cable bolt to chassis , then to related connection bolt down point , could help out , pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@roadapples  think that ground bolt point is the most reliable go to to get electrical issues , grounded , its like its hiding in plane site , I've done my time in wiring hook ups and related problems , all 3 of my rigs have that hook up to clean chassis / engine corner , and on to rectifier and headlight ground , since doing that , on all my starts , my amperage ga , is solidly in the charge zone , used to be  on /off . anything I  suggest , has been in use and works . thomas edison , AKA , GREASY PETE  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, Panther416-8 said:

I have a 416-8 with the Kohler magnum that I picked up about 14 years ago. Most of its chores have been lawn mowing, trailer hauling, pulling an Agrifab lawn vacuum and with a 48" snow plow that I use a winch on for lift. In the works is a new clevis hitch and rock shaft kit from WH and More to use the Brinly plow I picked up last week on CL. It is brand new, never used for $125. I have a couple of small hay fields that have never been plowed and hope the little guy can do it.

:WRS:

:angry-tappingfoot:     You know that if you bought a few more :wh: you could place one implement on each one and save the time it takes to switch them around.     :ychain:

1143663457_1Horse-a-holic.jpg.2c35e33dbd35854ad8f6a219a0163653.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Panther416-8

Thanks Pete. I think I have some of those alligator clips around, they are handy. I will check the grounds as you suggest. In my other post in the electrical section I found I'm getting 45VAC from the stator to the regulator but only the battery voltage (12.0) coming out of the regulator. One thing I think I need to do is find the model/sn tag on this machine. In all of the years working on this I don't ever remember seeing a metal tag or sticker on it anywhere. 

• Like 2

peter lena

@Panther416-8  every horse being different , in year / model has a different set up , would check out possible wire connection for  cracking , usually have a powdery dust at shorting areas. , learned to NEVER COUNT ON A GROUND CONNECTION , unless verified . could also have a  failed go to point , regulator / gauge / switch , etc . have also taken advantage of  regular operational check overs , when things are  working as they should , thats the time to look for possible upcoming failures , like a wire chafe  or a corroded connection . once you find it , it will give you confidence and insight into more regular solid running . sending out an electrical enhancement to you , ZAP!  hope  you find it, pete  

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  Most people plow in 2nd/hi once you get the ground broke… it seems to roll the sod off the plow and over without letting it flop back the best.  Have fun!

The Freightliner Guy

:text-welcomewave: to the forum sir 

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs: