84c125

84 C125 Clutch Sticks

84c125

I have an 84 C125.  I noticed my clutch pedal was not returning to its original position when letting off.  I also had very little return travel before the clutch engages after letting off the pedal. It sometimes comes back to normal.  I recently found that the drive belt from the engine to the transmission jumps up to a different groove on the engine pulley and that is when I can't get the clutch back.  So I've found the problem but I just don't know what to do to fix it.  Is this something where the belt is worn out or an issue with the pulley or tensioner?

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:  Can you post a picture of the engine drive pulleys?    There should only be one drive pulley and two pulleys on the PTO bell.

953 nut

:WRS:

As Ed said the engine pulley should only have one "V" but the belt may be jumping up onto the small gap between the pulley and the PTO. There should be a couple of small round stock retainers bolted to the engine that hold the belt where it should be. If they are not properly placed the belt can come out of line.

• Like 1

peter lena

@85c125 2 major engagement points , there is a rear extension spring , coming  off the end of the ,clutch pedal rod , that is hooked to the rear end / transmission side in a small hole , pulling tension on the entire set up . bet there is little to /no lubrication on any of the movement areas . aerosol spray lubricant , with small tube extension , make the rust run out , maybe even a shot of grease on the clutch pedal swing base area. that belt jump is rare , might even be an idler pulley , starting to bind up . you might also have a badly worn belt , have any I/D  # ,s on the belt ? , try to lubricate / free it up first , see what that does , there are also related  belt drive pictures on the site for reference , ask for drive belt set up pictures , give you an idea of your set up , this is a basic service area , good luck with it , pete  

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@85c125  https://www.bing.com/search?q=belt drive pictores%2C wheel horse&qs=n&form=QBRE&=%eManage Your Search History%E&sp=-1&pq=belt drive pictores%2C wheel horse&sc=2-  like this , this is the area you are in , look for initial function , get a helper to work the clutch pedal and watch what goes on . not to make lite of it , but smooth /  easy moving linkage , is often a rusty / neglected area , pete

• Excellent 1

84c125
21 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:  Can you post a picture of the engine drive pulleys?    There should only be one drive pulley and two pulleys on the PTO bell.

This is a picture looking toward the rear.  On the left, you can see the belt going to the mower deck.  On the right is the drive belt and it is up out of the groove on the pulley it is supposed to be on. 

IMG_3180.jpg

• Like 1

84c125
12 hours ago, peter lena said:

@85c125  https://www.bing.com/search?q=belt drive pictores%2C wheel horse&qs=n&form=QBRE&=%eManage Your Search History%E&sp=-1&pq=belt drive pictores%2C wheel horse&sc=2-  like this , this is the area you are in , look for initial function , get a helper to work the clutch pedal and watch what goes on . not to make lite of it , but smooth /  easy moving linkage , is often a rusty / neglected area , pete

That's what I initially did.  I had my son up there moving the clutch back and forth.  I could see the pulley that puts tension on the belt moving back and forth.  But it wouldn't go back all the way and now I know why.  It was out of the groove at the engine output shaft.  All the stuff in the back works fine and has been lubricated.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

84c125
13 hours ago, peter lena said:

@85c125 2 major engagement points , there is a rear extension spring , coming  off the end of the ,clutch pedal rod , that is hooked to the rear end / transmission side in a small hole , pulling tension on the entire set up . bet there is little to /no lubrication on any of the movement areas . aerosol spray lubricant , with small tube extension , make the rust run out , maybe even a shot of grease on the clutch pedal swing base area. that belt jump is rare , might even be an idler pulley , starting to bind up . you might also have a badly worn belt , have any I/D  # ,s on the belt ? , try to lubricate / free it up first , see what that does , there are also related  belt drive pictures on the site for reference , ask for drive belt set up pictures , give you an idea of your set up , this is a basic service area , good luck with it , pete  

All the stuff from the pedal to the rear is lubed up and working.  I also checked for metal burrs in those pulleys.  I checked the belt this evening and it's fine. 

I'm noticing that some pics show the belt going under the idler pulley and some show it going over (which is what I have).

Jeff-C175
3 minutes ago, 85c125 said:

under the idler pulley and some show it going over

I think it depends on whether it's an auto or manual trans.  Which do you have?

By the way, the deck belt should be in the groove closer to the engine.

• Like 2

84c125
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I think it depends on whether it's an auto or manual trans.  Which do you have?

By the way, the deck belt should be in the groove closer to the engine.

It is an 8 speed manual.  Thank you for that info on the mower deck.  I've been having trouble with it flipping over as you can probably see in the picture. 

wallfish

The idler pulley should be under the belt.  Hydros use that idler on the top but they don't use a pedal to clutch.

The belt guard should keep the belt from moving over. Is the guard installed? 

You can also make small rods that keep the belt in the groove

• Like 3

oldlineman

A rolling over mower drive belt needs to be changed, once they start doing that in my experience they will not stay untwisted. I have always had to replace them when that happens. Bob

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Snoopy11

Hello fellow Hoosier! @84c125 :greetings-waveyellow:

I would consider heartily what @peter lena said about the clutch spring. Sometimes the clutch spring fails... sometimes it gets weak over time... :bow-yellow:

Just something to check, and maybe replace if you really want to be proactive. :D

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
18 hours ago, wallfish said:

You can also make small rods that keep the belt in the groove

@84c125

Good point, probably missing on his manchine.  These pics show the 'factory' ones.  And, If I hadda guess I'd think the belt guard may not be there either.

image.png.55e94deca599c27ae3a0405778304968.png    image.png.90b6f7741955734ea9fe002b9d12c423.png

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 3