Jimmy66

Drivebelt not disengaging

Jimmy66

Got my 606 started for the first time, and was eager to ride around to get the unidrive sludge cleaned up with some diesel.  But, the belt wouldn't slacken up.  I plan to adjust the position of the guard forward, and verify that the tab is not bent.  Any advice on what areas to look at?  Seems to be the proper 70" belt.PXL_20220716_212248488.jpg.6f93496b6d794f63decfbbe9b9ab55b9.jpg

squonk

You need the belt guard on to slacken the belt so it will slip. Lets see a pic of it.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
2 hours ago, squonk said:

You need the belt guard on to slacken the belt so it will slip. Lets see a pic of it.

Eh... Mike.. I hate to... well...

WHY ARE THERE 3 EMOJIS GOING DOWN THE TOILET IN YOUR SIGNATURE???

228109581avatar.gif.5f3c5ff500b4e8b2ab08f4631ad715a0.gif228109581avatar.gif.5f3c5ff500b4e8b2ab08f4631ad715a0.gif228109581avatar.gif.5f3c5ff500b4e8b2ab08f4631ad715a0.gif

THAT is simply hilarious! :laughing-rolling:

Don

Jeff-C175
29 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

EMOJIS GOING DOWN THE TOILET

Must be in the Southern Hemisphere... they're turning the wrong way!

• Haha 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, Jimmy66 said:

I plan to adjust the position of the guard forward, and verify that the tab is not bent.

3 hours ago, squonk said:

I get the feeling that the guard is in place during use, but I could be wrong.  Jimmy if you haven’t tried it with the guard in place, that should be the first thing to do next.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

953 nut

:WRS:

Is this the original HH-60 Tecumseh engine and engine pulley? If you are using another engine or pulley that could explain it.  

Jimmy66

Original HH60, and belt guard was mounted on our first attempt.  All mounting holes seem slotted, so I wondered if there was room for back and forth adjustment, which could better position the guide tab (although I don't recall the engine bolt hole being slotted.  Also wondering about common issues with the pulley, I saw somewhere someone resorting to sanding the channel down.

PXL_20220725_000203992.jpg

PXL_20220724_235531513.jpg

PXL_20220724_235458797.jpg

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Jimmy66 said:

Original HH60, and belt guard was mounted on our first attempt.  All mounting holes seem slotted, so I wondered if there was room for back and forth adjustment, which could better position the guide tab (although I don't recall the engine bolt hole being slotted.  Also wondering about common issues with the pulley, I saw somewhere someone resorting to sanding the channel down.

From the pictures, it looks like the guard is on correctly (there really isn't much, if any, adjustability).

The tab may be a little far down. It should just barely clear the belt when the clutch is engaged and the belt has tension.

A rusty pulley at the engine can thwart disengaging and ruin the belt quickly. I shoe-shine pulleys with a strip of very fine cloth-backed emory folded over a strip of rag to make it fill the groove.

953 nut

:confusion-confused:     I'm confused!      Looking at your first picture I see the part number for the present belt is 9691 which is a 70" belt. The chart in our manuals section calls for a 8005 which is a 4L-720, a 72" belt. The owner's manual calls for a 1576 drive belt which crosses to a 9691 which you have. If you are getting some slack in your belt then going to a two inch longer belt is not the answer.

The only other thing I can think of is the rust on your pulleys may be making them a bit grabby. Remove the belt and sand off the rust in each pulley so the belt has an opportunity to slip when it is slack.

peter lena

@Jimmy66  don't have any of the older series tractors , but , a very frequent problem is the RELATED  LINKAGE , RUST ON MANY , MOVEMENT AREAS . how freely / smooth does that idler pulley move ? clutch pedal , connections lubricated ? what kind of grease in that deck gearing , do all related parts move / function easily ? hate to spoil the party , but , probably a combination of  maintenance, lubrication  issues , pete 

• Excellent 1

Jimmy66

Finally got to work on the drivebelt today.  I had enough slot to shift the cover towards the rear, achieving the slack needed to clutch.  Put some kerosene in the gearbox and took her for a spin.  All gears function!  Third gear popped a wheelie!  Left skidmarks in the driveway haha.  I did notice a few leaks but maybe they'll go away once I put the gear oil in.  

PXL_20220725_234945689.jpg

• Like 2