Sparky

Do I need this spring?

Sparky

And what’s it’s reason for being there? 
  On my 315-8 there is a spring attached to the shifter. It pulls the shifter to the left (as your sitting on the machine) but why? I see there is some sorta safety switch there with no wires to it. It musta been related to that I suppose.
  I’m about to get rid of it as well as the clutch damper/shock thingy. But figured I would ask if the shift lever spring has any advantage. 

B9972526-BD49-472A-994A-5CE7D02C6FF8.jpeg

C9025722-3DCF-4116-8175-8CC158B09D63.jpeg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

We don't have any newer machines so I can't really answer but the question comes to mind...

Is there enough tension on that spring to pull the shift lever back to the position furthest to the left? And if so, is that an advantage over the free-roaming shifters of the older tractors like I have.? 

• Like 1

squonk

Spring looks roached!

• Like 1

gwest_ca

It is part of the MNIR (No Mow In Reverse) system

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sparky
10 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Got it. This machine mows in reverse so I guess  NMIR has been disabled. 
 The spring is outa here! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
12 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Which looks fully functional…. :lol:

image.jpeg.ae38d80a39a3fb38be6b13f9e3796590.jpeg

• Haha 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, Sparky said:
13 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

t of the MNIR (No Mow In Reverse) system

The spring is outa here! 

Looks like that switch down there lost it’s wires :banana-wrench:

• Like 1

Sparky
15 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Looks like that switch down there lost it’s wires :banana-wrench:

Yep….no wires on the safety switch so I guess I can’t make a You-tube video outa this :rolleyes: ! 
  Keep your eyes on the classified section for a used NMIR spring at a great price :lol:

6ECD4155-90E0-4EEB-9C65-DC7325E2C55E.jpeg

• Haha 3

ebinmaine

I know somebody had to have a good reason for this at one time or another but....

Who doesn't want to mow in reverse????? 

• Like 2

Handy Don
14 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I know somebody had to have a good reason for this at one time or another but....

Clearly some rule-making agency got enough heat applied that this interlock became a requirement. 
Can't imagine manufactures thought this was a good idea.

52 minutes ago, Sparky said:

The spring is outa here! 

Spare micro switch, if you need it!

• Like 1

squonk

Mowing in reverse is exactly how a 2 yr. old child was maimed last year just a few miles from me. I understand wanting to mow in reverse but joking about it is BS! 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1
  • Heart 1

Sparky

And that pesky clutch damper is also gone! 
  This 315-8 is gonna feel like a brand new rig :handgestures-thumbupright:

C243F45E-F56C-4809-891F-011218C487AD.jpeg

• Like 1

Sparky
26 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Exactly!

I sometimes mow in reverse, backing into the woods, with my RD decks to knock back the weird weeds and things that grow there. All the clipping and seeds get hurled into the woods and not my yard.

There is a switch under the seat that you manually turn to mow in reverse but none of it on this machine is hooked up. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

RED-Z06

There was also a neutral safety switch, one part mounted on the shifter and the other...near the shifter, and it had to sense the pickup to allow it to crank

• Like 1

Sparky

Update:

1)  Much easier to shift into 1st and 2nd. I’ve actually had this machine pop outa 2nd gear and I was thinking it might have a tranny issue. But now I think that little spring was causing the problem! 
 2) Without that clutch damper/shock device it’s just like operating an older machine. Just ease the clutch back (don’t side step it) and away it goes all smooth like. There was already a clutch return spring on it just like the C, 300-400 series have so all I did was remove the damper. Once on my bench I closed and opened the damper but it stays wherever I leave it. So if I compress it back into the cylinder and let go it just stays on that position. I can manually pull it back but with some resistance. I’m thinking this thing was already “shot” before I got it. 

• Like 2

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Once on my bench I closed and opened the damper but it stays wherever I leave it. So if I compress it back into the cylinder and let go it just stays on that position. I can manually pull it back but with some resistance. I’m thinking this thing was already “shot” before I got it. 

I think this is actually the correct behavior of a damper--slow the motion in either direction but don't exhibit a bias toward any position.

• Like 2

520HC
7 hours ago, squonk said:

Mowing in reverse is exactly how a 2 yr. old child was maimed last year just a few miles from me. I understand wanting to mow in reverse but joking about it is BS! 

I agree. I see people all the time wanting to disable that safety feature. If it happens to you it wont be so funny.

RED-Z06
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Going back...heck, 24ish years, an idiot decided to mow with kids around, he backed over an infant.  He sued the manufacturer on the grounds that they allowed it to mow in reverse.  Immediately the broad reaction was to permanently disallow reverse mowing with an interlock that mechanically prevented it.  Some mowers today, including  Zero Turns, fully disable reverse mowing.  But after many complaints and people disabling the defeats, manufacturers decided on a RIO switch that became "a contract" that by performing a particular action, you took on the liability of mowing in reverse.  Toro used the seat switch that you had to get off, turn..and if you got off or sat up..defeated reverse mowing.  MTD went with a button and key you turn the key back one click and push a button.  Deere used either a stand alone button OR you pulled up on the PTO switch.  Ayp/husky used a 4th position on the ignition switch.  

I personally will not disable the switches, if a mower comes in the shop with it disabled I will, if possible, reactivate it.

With that said none of my mowers have it...i know to be aware of my surroundings and dont need nanny switches 

Edited by RED-Z06
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

switches

Our tractors are built by BBT and wired by me. ... Without the safeties. 

We have NO young children or new/unfamiliar operators.   

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat:but you do have a dog.  I also believe that you have excellent situational awareness when you operate your machinery.  Then again, I don't recall seeing a deck mounted on any of your machines.

Me? My machines are old enough that they are not equipped with this feature. When I mow, our dogs are inside, and I am on constant lookout for the neighbor's dogs and cats that frequently run loose in the neighborhood.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 4

peter lena

@Sparky  agree on the removal of the clutch damper, typically do a thorough functional check on lever, rod , idler pulley related  areas. an aerosol lubricant will make the rust run out of neglected areas , like idler pulley related mount point . another change I  made there , was an idler pulley change , that pathetic tiny bearing is the cause of frequent belt hang ups , match one up at T/S  with a larger bearing, insert a bronze bushing for 3/8" bolt mount , and do a grease change out with that larger bearing , go lucas , ask me how a free lubricated clutch set up works . often see   problem with related issues , look over all of it , and finish it , OMO , pete 

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

:text-yeahthat:but you do have a dog.  I also believe that you have excellent situational awareness when you operate your machinery.  Then again, I don't recall seeing a deck mounted on any of your machines.

Me? My machines are old enough that they are not equipped with this feature. When I mow, our dogs are inside, and I am on constant lookout for the neighbor's dogs and cats that frequently run loose in the neighborhood.

The dog is definitely an issue to be VERY aware of around here.  

She's become so accustomed to the machines that she'll sit right by while we drive right by.  Often even in the way. :lol:

I do have one mowing deck that came with one of the tractors. I don't use it at this point.  Easier to mow with a walk behind.  

• Like 2

clueless

While I'm not thrilled with most safety switches and devices I understand the need. Once these tractors and riding mowers became popular 40 years ago there have been may reports of small children and animal being maimed or killed because someone back over them, it behooved the manufacturer to help save us from ourselves. While they may have some moral thoughts for doing this the bottom like always is money. Think McDonalds being sued for hot coffee and my favorite Winnebago back in the day being sued because the dude bought a new one and was headed down the interstate and set the cruise control and got up and headed to the back to fix a pot of coffee:handgestures-thumbupright:. Just think about things you buy now, the safety section in the owner's manual is larger than the instruction section. While all of these may help some, like Ron White says "you can't fix stupid".

• Like 4

pfrederi

I occasionally mow with a JD235.  You have to pull up on the PTO switch when you hit the reverse pedal..  Then you can mow in revere.  First few times I backup I always forget and the PTO clicks off.  later mowing on one of my old WHs I find myself reach for the non existent switch when I try to back up...

• Like 2

kpinnc

I always thought the seat/PTO switch combo was annoying. Then my wife's grandfather once tried to jump off his WH because it tipped on a slope. He accidentally caught the cuff of his pants leg on the height adjuster, and was drug to the edge of his yard until the tractor was stopped by a tree. 

Certainly could have been worse, but I understand now that some situations require keeping the safety gear intact. I personally hate broad-stroke answers to any problem, so I'll just say whoever is responsible for the safe use of any machine has to make those decisions for themselves. 

Reverse mowing shut off? For me, my kids and pets stay indoors when I mow. Would be the same with or without that system in place. But it's also a big fear of mine because I've seen children brutally maimed by a mower, and because I have small kids here of my own. Point being, I don't have the system, but I'm almost paranoid about looking behind me. 

The sad truth is this: we have these annoying systems because we have irresponsible morons out there. Manufacturers just don't want the liability. They care nothing about the end user.

I hated being a little kid forced to wear water wings at the pool by my parents, so I learned to freaking swim. Some grown ups need a tutorial on changing the kitchen light bulb. Those folks are the "target audience" of these safety features. 

The old WH manuals said "don't cowboy on your tractor", and it was sufficient for the time. Natural selection did the rest. You either respect the machine or you didn't. 

I've wanted to build a remote control mower for years. I have all I need to do it. My other hobby is R/C models, so it's a small step in my mind. I have cameras and proximity sensors, the whole bit. I could mow the hottest months from the comfort of my couch while seeing a real time video feed on my TV. But I've never had the nerve to do it. Not because I think I'm incapable of building or using it, but because some idiot would have to get a closer look while walking thier dog, and suddenly there's a lawsuit. Guess I'll just keep sweating... 

• Like 4