mrharris12

418-C Ignition

mrharris12

Hi all,

I turned the 418-c off after cutting the grass on the backside of my property and when I went to start it up a few minutes later I got nothing when turning the key. Later found out that the solenoid was not getting any juice so I am fairly certain it is the ignition. 

I am currently having a hard time finding the ignition for this within Toro's website, does anyone know the part # I would need?

Achto
23 minutes ago, mrharris12 said:

Later found out that the solenoid was not getting any juice so I am fairly certain it is the ignition. 

The ignition has nothing to do with the starter. 

I would be looking into a safety switch that is not working. PTO switch, or clutch switch will keep the starter from engaging.

• Like 5

Jeff-C175
9 minutes ago, Achto said:

I'm thinking he meant the ignition switch?

But yeah, safety circuits should be examined.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Look at the wiring diagrams

953 nut
10 hours ago, mrharris12 said:

turned the 418-c off after cutting the grass

Is the PTO engaged?

• Like 1

mrharris12
10 hours ago, Achto said:

I would be looking into a safety switch that is not working. PTO switch, or clutch switch will keep the starter from engaging.

So I know the switch underneath the seat is either unplugged or disengaged because I can get off the tractor while the blades are on and it wont cut off, previous owner must have done that. So i dont think that switch is causing the issue.

I will need to find out where the PTO switch and clutch switch is and see how those are looking

• Like 1

mrharris12
59 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Is the PTO engaged?

when trying to turn it on, no. I think thats what you are asking?? 

I was able to jump it by using a screwdriver and contacting the two bolts from the solenoid, but i didnt try to engage the pto.

Achto
15 minutes ago, mrharris12 said:

So I know the switch underneath the seat is either unplugged or disengaged because I can get off the tractor while the blades are on and it wont cut off

The function of the seat switch is to kill the engine if you try to leave the seat with the PTO engaged. This function does not effect the starter.

Turn the key switch to the start position and see if you have power at the Tan wire coming out of the switch. The Tan wire will then go in to the PTO switch, test to see if power is getting to this point.

Next test the Purple wire coming out of the PTO switch. This wire should have power with the key in the start position and the PTO in the off position. The Purple wire will then go to the Clutch switch, test to see that power at this point.

Next see if you are getting power to the Lt. Blue wire at the clutch switch. Key in start, PTO off, clutch peddle pushed in. The Lt. Blue wire then goes to the starter solenoid.

Next check for power on the Lt. Blue wire on the solenoid.

If power is getting all the way to the Lt. Blue wire on the solenoid with the Clutch pushed in, PTO off, & the key in the start position but the starter will not engage.

Check solenoid for a good ground.

Check battery connections at the solenoid and the battery.

Replace solenoid.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

oldlineman

Great answer Achto, I just chased that rabbit on a 310-8 and you nailed it step for step. My problem was the PTO switch was not closing with the PTO disengaged. I did exactly the steps and found the problem. Great steps for chasing down a no start problem. Bob :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Excellent 2

c-series don

@mrharris12 Did you figure out the problem? I have a 418-C also and was wondering if you figured out what it was? 

mrharris12
1 hour ago, c-series don said:

@mrharris12 Did you figure out the problem? I have a 418-C also and was wondering if you figured out what it was? 

havent gone to troubleshoot quite yet, got the wiring diagram printed out and the steps from @Achto printed out.

Hopefully will get around to doing that either tomorrow or this weekend.

• Like 3

Handy Don

:text-yeahthat:

What @Achto said with one addition. Have the tractor in neutral and the wheels chocked when you do this sequence (in case it cranks or even starts!)

• Excellent 1

mrharris12
On 7/21/2022 at 5:53 PM, c-series don said:

So I was tracing the wires and on the PTO switch I wasnt getting good connectivity. Come to find out the top switch (where the Tan and purple meet) the arm to engage contact was missing. So I am positive that has to be the issue. Now to find that switch :cry: 

• Like 2