oldlineman

310-8 no crank

oldlineman

Hi folks My friend has a 310-8, year not known, has a oil test light only, not the full set of lights. We can't get it to crank over with the switch. We can jumper the solenoid and get it running or apply 12 v to the trigger terminal on the solenoid and get it running. Any thoughts, I have checked all the safety switches and they all seem to test ok. The seat switch jumpered out. What I really need is a wiring diagram so I can try to chase the 12 v and figure out what is stopping the 12 v from getting to the starter solenoid. Thank for any and all suggestions. Bob 

gwest_ca

If it is not a 1986 model let us know.

Special instructions for removing the low oil switch without damage

All 10hp models had only a low oil light.

• Like 1

953 nut

The seat switch is not a part of the START circuit. Check the fuse holders and be sure the terminals are clean and tight, do the same for the ignition switch. These items are close to the battery and tend to be subjected to battery acid fumes. The clutch switch is in the start circuit also.

• Like 1

oldlineman

Thank you guys, the clutch switch seems to work, just open close. When we crossed the solenoide  and got it running we tried the PTO and that wanted to shut it down. I checked the PTO safety switch and it seemed to be working. There is no 12 v at the single wire on the solenoide when turning the switch and the clutch pushed. I guess we will have to chase the 12 v to where it stops. I'm not that great with wiring even though I spent 41 years as a lineman different type of wiring. We ran a wire from the + battery term to the solenoide single term and the starter turned it over.  Thanks for all input. Bob 

Edited by oldlineman
  • Like 1

oldlineman

Garry I see that these wiring diagrams are for a K10 this tractor has a Magnum 10 HP  would there be a difference ? It would have a different switch for sure right. Bob 

Edited by oldlineman

gwest_ca

Yes K and M are different.

1986 was the first year for the low oil switch.

1987 first year for M

oldlineman

Garry I will try to get the info. from the motor, maybe that will narrow down what year we are looking at. The tractor tag is gone. It has a 15 and 25 amp fuse so I believe it would have a 15 amp charging circuit correct. Thank you for all your help, I am not good at looking up files. Bob

953 nut

Presuming the decals on the hood of the 310 are the ones applied at the factory they can help narrow it down, several changes took place.

oldlineman

Yes the engine # is Spec# 461821 and the Ser # is 2109101273 , Magnum 10 Hp.  I used a wiring diagram for 1989 to 1991, seems to match what is on the tractor. Tractor Has Toro Wheel Horse so that would have to be 1990 or later I believe. We tracked down the problem,  the PTO switch for the start circuit wired through the clutch switch was not closing when the PTO was disengaged. There was some wear in the PTO engagement lever that we had to tighten down and then all was well. Thanks to all for your always fast and great knowledge. Garry if you can track down any better the possible year of this tractor from the engine info I would greatly appreciate it. Or any other members with better search skills than I .    

953 nut

Could be any year 1987 to 1991 by the Spac# 461521. Perhaps @gwest_ca has a serial number list.

• Thanks 1