Sign in to follow this  
jgun45879

854 Help....

jgun45879

Hello,

I'm restoring a couple of 854's and both will need to have the gas tanks repaired.

Can you still get the gasket at the dealer? If so anyone have a part number. What other options are there for this repair. Thanks, Jim.

WH854

P/N4452 about $16.42 each just purchased 2 :thumbs2:

Chas.

tranders

I'm also curious about other options for repair. I have a 653 with a seeping gas tank.

wingrider

Fixing a leaky tank

I too have a 854 with a leaky tank, but my first problem is not how to replace the gasket but how do you get the little bolts out, without them breaking. I've put PB Blaster in tank and let it soak, and the next day it has seaped thru the gasket and tank is empty. I've tried this method three times but with no success, only a couple twisted off bolts.

The last time I tried this on my 753 it came right apart without a bit of a problem.

Has anyone tried any other method other than a new gasket, or are there any gas tank sealers that will work?

Thanks Gary B.

Jim_M

A good "sloshing type" sealer will do the job. POR-15 and Bill Hirsch both sell a good sealer.

sorekiwi

My fun and games with this are detailed somewhere in this thread: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...72&hl=fuel+tank

Mine has turned out OK. It didnt leak with the new gasket installed, but I decided to also use fuel tank sealer from Bill Hersch. I bought the motorcycle kit and it did the Ranger tank and an RJ tank, and there is probably enough to do one more.

There are a few threads here about fuel tank sealers.

I have heard of people welding the two parts together. I'm not sure how successful that would be, I had a couple of cracks around the threads welded on mine, and it had a lot of dirt and impurities still in it despite bead blasting first.

It's really easy to break the bolts taking it apart. I used heat from a propane torch first, but then again mine hadnt had any fuel in it for probably 30 years. I had to helicoil some of the holes, and in some cases had to go up to 10-32 threads as the holes were so oversize. It is a ***** drilling out the broken bolts, as if you get any wander with the drill at all, the bit will want to burrow into the soft aluminum instead of your broken bolt.

Good luck! it is possible!!

EDIT: Linked to the right thread this time!